Man who didn't pay his bar tab ends up looking like this - karaoke say they didn't do it, just took his bike

webfact

1 hour ago, grain said:

Can understand how some dumb farang who doesn't know the ropes can get stomped for not trying to nick off without paying his bill, but you'd think all Thai men would have a clear understanding of the consequences.

In what Farang country in the World is it acceptable to do a runner on a bar bill, where a person from that country might not know the ropes in Thailand on such behaviour and the probable outcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

I'm my country it is simple "the police are called" at no point would a bar/pub beat up someone and steal their motorbike! I would say that is the same for any civilised country. Also the police would come down hard on the pub, if any evidence came to light about the severe assault and that 7 or more people were involved then attempted murder charge may also be raised. As for the bike, well the owner would be up in court for theft (see what happens in a civilised country with "but they owe me money" as a defence!!!

But you are not in your country but in Thailand, and the bike is security that you will return and pay the bill.

Please explain what would happen in 'your' country if you could not pay your bar bill? The police certainly wouldn't get your motorbike back, because you could well be charged with being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle. 

The bar would be in its rights to have you charged with theft or fraud as you drank knowing that you could not pay the bill.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have left without paying my bill several times in Thailand but it wasn't a problem as I lived over the bar and they reminded me when I came back.

If I was out somewhere else and ran out of cash I could always ring the bar and they would send a girl along with the money.

I trusted them and they trusted me.

Would they do it for a stranger?  No way.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim filed a police report and now the karaoke boss and witnesses are being interviewed to get to the bottom of what transpired. 

Simple.. the guy didn't pay his bill..

he got taught a lesson.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, jvs said:

guess what?You are not in your country,TIT.

Time to learn.

Yes I am and what I said is 100% true. A young guy 17 at the time just jailed for 4 years and 6 months with the last year suspended for defending himself and family after an older and much bigger guy who smashed into his home and attacked him. Stabbed him once and killed him (the young boys mother was injured in the assault). Serious consequences in the uk. 

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

But you are not in your country but in Thailand, and the bike is security that you will return and pay the bill.

Please explain what would happen in 'your' country if you could not pay your bar bill? The police certainly wouldn't get your motorbike back, because you could well be charged with being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle. 

The bar would be in its rights to have you charged with theft or fraud as you drank knowing that you could not pay the bill.

Very strange statement.  I am in my country as I left Thailand in 2019 after staying in Thailand for 8 years and lived and worked in Thailand from 2002 on and off for periods upto 2 years (worked as a scuba diving instructor and a teacher). Why would the police not take your motorbike from the bar? Very strange statement. Police would definatly take the bike as evidence and the bar owner charged with theft and possible more. You can not take someone's property over a debt unless the court has approved it. Good or bad the uk has laws. Kicking the <deleted> into someone who owes you a few pounds is not acceptable in civilised countries taking someone's property is also not acceptable under any circumstances in the uk. As for a member of the public refusing to hand over stolen goods to the police lol I don't think they would be asked.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:09 AM, Lemsta69 said:

But this is Thailand, they do it their own special way and that's why we love the place ????????????????.

Comparisons to other countries are, simply put, meaningless.

Yes it is about Thailand.  However when someone brings other countries in to give the "But other countries in the west do the same (in your country)" justification will then the forum which was originally set up for expats and about Thailand and seemed to change dramatically after the generals took over.