Any hope of myanmar land border opening in the next 5 weeks?

If they announce an opening, how was it in the past, spontaneous i.e. announcing 1 day in advance? I have an OA visa and just need a new entry stamp, I am hoping for Kanchanaburi opening. I understand in the past you did not visa for Myanmar if you just wanted a new thai entry stamp. Thanks

I suspect it is not going to change anytime soon. At this time only Myanmar and Thai citizens can enter Myanmar at border crossings. Apparently they have eliminated the border pass to enter there for foreigners.

You might be able to do it if you applied for a Myanmar visa at their embassy or consulate.

• Thanks 1

No one can say for sure. Even during normal times, issues could arise or be resolved on the border with Myanmar at short notice. With the current security situation in Myanmar, any general opening of border crossings with Myanmar seems far away. That said, there have been reports that the crossing from Ranong to the Grand Andaman Resort is partially open. While unlikely, it is conceivable that one or more crossings could open at short notice.

• Thanks 1

Been following the protests in Burma since Feb 2021
Doubt land borders will open anytime soon, except for locals, much of the country still closed 

to get a visa for Burma has LOTS of restrictions:
https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/Home/NoticeToTourist

taxi to Bangkok to go to Penang?
Phnom Penh is much cheaper by air or consider a road trip to the border

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Been following the protests in Burma since Feb 2021
Doubt land borders will open anytime soon, except for locals, much of the country still closed 

to get a visa for Burma has LOTS of restrictions:
https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/Home/NoticeToTourist

taxi to Bangkok to go to Penang?
Phnom Penh is much cheaper by air or consider a road trip to the border

Thanks for your Post! Road Trip to Cambodian border from Hua Hin will take 14-16 Hrs according to my info, about the same as taxi and flight? I could not find any visa tours from Hua Hin to Cambodia.

Flights to Phnom Phen costs about 100€ which is exactly the same as the cheapest 1 day trips to Penang . In addition malaysia does not demand and charge for a visa as Cambodia (30 USD) does. Malaysia has always been hassle free for me wheras cambodia is a real third world country. Am I missing something here? Thanks!

Edited by stat

yea, u didn't say where you were< ????
fyi

i often drive ( pre covid) Phuket -Cambodia entering at Koh Kong, 1st night stop in Cha Am

2nd night ( after 8 hour drive) Trat, next day only about 1 hour to border

Penang is going to be cheapest flying as no visa

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:18 AM, stat said:

Thanks for your Post! Road Trip to Cambodian border from Hua Hin will take 14-16 Hrs according to my info, about the same as taxi and flight? I could not find any visa tours from Hua Hin to Cambodia.

Flights to Phnom Phen costs about 100€ which is exactly the same as the cheapest 1 day trips to Penang . In addition malaysia does not demand and charge for a visa as Cambodia (30 USD) does. Malaysia has always been hassle free for me wheras cambodia is a real third world country. Am I missing something here? Thanks!

Hua Hin to the border at Aranyaprathet/Poipet takes about 5-6 hours each way, but you are well advised to avoid that for border bounces when a long stayer.

I do not think you are really missing anything much. There are many alternative options, but none really attractive for a quick in/out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Hua Hin to the border at Aranyaprathet/Poipet takes about 5-6 hours each way, but you are well advised to avoid that for border bounces when a long stayer.

I do not think you are really missing anything much. There are many alternative options, but none really attractive for a quick in/out.

I'd love to hear how fast u drive

for me 2 hours hh-bangkok, 1 hour getting around/thru bangkok, 4 hours to border

2 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

for me 2 hours hh-bangkok, 1 hour getting around/thru bangkok, 4 hours to border

2 hours from which end of HH, the Cha Am side or the end of Nong Kae near Pranburi?  It is 230 km from my house in Southern HH to my Condo in Sathorn and takes at the quickest 2 hours and 45 minutes, longest with traffic took me 4 hours.  It is another 250 KM from my condo in BKK to the border you describe and another 3 1/2 hours to the border crossing.  Fasted I have made it taking a friend from HH was just a little over 8 hours and that was stopping for a <deleted> break and food and minor traffic on a Sunday........

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is only open for Myanmar Nationals at this point in Time, and Vendors bringing over goods for sale.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is only open for Myanmar Nationals at this point in Time, and Vendors bringing over goods for sale.

That is a crossing to Cambodia.

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hua Hin to the border at Aranyaprathet/Poipet 

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Much can depend on the traffic, and I admit deliberately choosing times when traffic is light. However, If it is routinely taking you five hours from Pinklao to Aranyaprathet, I suggest checking Google for the best route.

Booked a flight to Penang, thanks for all the great advise! So all in all I will be leaving 05:30 in the morning and be back at around 10 p.m. all for a simple visa stamp.  Utter waste of money and time. TIT and they are still wondering where the millions of tourists are going. I know, it is what it is ????

8 minutes ago, stat said:

Booked a flight to Penang, thanks for all the great advise! So all in all I will be leaving 05:30 in the morning and be back at around 10 p.m. all for a simple visa stamp.  Utter waste of money and time. TIT and they are still wondering where the millions of tourists are going. I know, it is what it is ????

Most tourists arrive on visa exempt, or visa on arrival and leave after a couple of weeks or so. They don't have to do border runs to stay longer, as they are tourists, not living in LOS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most tourists arrive on visa exempt, or visa on arrival and leave after a couple of weeks or so. They don't have to do border runs to stay longer, as they are tourists, not living in LOS.

Agreed but you earn way more money with the people who stay here long term on a per capita basis.

4 hours ago, stat said:

Bad idea. There are likely to be problems at the airport with Thai immigration.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

He states that he has a (presumably unexpired) Non OA visa, and just wants to exit and re-enter (presumably before the visa expires) to get a fresh one-year permission to stay. It is unlikely that airport immigration will object to this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Pls enlighten me why their should be an immigration problem (DMK airport) with a valid unexpired multi entry OA Visa as you stated. Maybe I am missing something! Thanks

Edited by stat

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

He states that he has a (presumably unexpired) Non OA visa, and just wants to exit and re-enter (presumably before the visa expires) to get a fresh one-year permission to stay. It is unlikely that airport immigration will object to this.

It is exactly as you stated regarding my visa status. I have no idea why immigration should reject me. I will take my OA visa and my filled in health insurance statement ,(see attachment) with me of course, as well as 3 times covid vac documentation. Any more docs needed? My health insurance lasts up to 2026, as stated in the documentation, so I should be stamped in until end of 2023 to my understanding without any problem(hopefully).  20K baht cash is not needed in case of OA visa I understand (hate to carry so much cash). Thanks for any clarification!

foreign_insurance_certificate.pdf

Edited by stat

1 hour ago, stat said:

It is exactly as you stated regarding my visa status. I have no idea why immigration should reject me. I will take my OA visa and my filled in health insurance statement ,(see attachment) with me of course, as well as 3 times covid vac documentation. Any more docs needed? My health insurance lasts up to 2026, as stated in the documentation, so I should be stamped in until end of 2023 to my understanding without any problem(hopefully).  20K baht cash is not needed in case of OA visa I understand (hate to carry so much cash). Thanks for any clarification!

foreign_insurance_certificate.pdf 125.44 kB · 0 downloads

You seem to have everything well thought out. I would just caution you on one point. Although Immigration is highly unlikely to ask to see the 20,000 baht equivalent on entry, not being is possession of it is technically a valid reason for a denied entry. It would be pretty ridiculous to ask to see it in your case, but they theoretically could.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You seem to have everything well thought out. I would just caution you on one point. Although Immigration is highly unlikely to ask to see the 20,000 baht equivalent on entry, not being is possession of it is technically a valid reason for a denied entry. It would be pretty ridiculous to ask to see it in your case, but they theoretically could.

Isn't the 20,000 Baht (or equivalent) in cash a requirement for tourists only? Non-Immigrant visas holders do not require it do they? 

4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Isn't the 20,000 Baht (or equivalent) in cash a requirement for tourists only? Non-Immigrant visas holders do not require it do they? 

Correct - the 20,000 baht (or currency equivalent / 40,000 baht for families) is a requirement for Visa Exempt entries, its not a requirement for someone entering with a Non-Imm visa.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

It is technically a requirement for all foreigners entering Thailand. Section 12 (9) of the Immigration Act identifies failing to show the amount specified by the Minister (20,000 baht per person or 40,000 per family) as grounds for a denied entry. It applies whether entering with a visa, re-entry permit or visa exemption. It is a stupid requirement, but it exists.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is technically a requirement for all foreigners entering Thailand. Section 12 (9) of the Immigration Act identifies failing to show the amount specified by the Minister (20,000 baht per person or 40,000 per family) as grounds for a denied entry. It applies whether entering with a visa, re-entry permit or visa exemption. It is a stupid requirement, but it exists.

It applies for Visa Exempt entries and those Entering with a Tourist Visa. 

Not for those entering with a Non-Immigrant visa.