What actually happens at a border run - Rejection?

After working out a plan that should work because of personal circumstances I will be doing a border run for the first time in eight years.  While I have done my first entry back to Thailand in 2 years (previous mix of O, O-A, Tourist and a few Visa exemptions over 12 years), arriving by plane this is the second border crossing for this calendar year.  Normally the advice would be that the second border run would be accepted. However immigration does have the power to reject through personal discretion - This is where best laid plans could fall apart and theory of what should work boils down to one person's judgement which is without accountability of why the second border runs is not acceptable.

I am only trying to understand my options if this situation occurs, not advice which is the best border to make the run.

I really am trying to understand where rejection (or warning of rejection) actually occurs in the process, between the four stages 1). Thailand Imm OUT 2). Border Country IN 3). Border Country OUT 4). Thailand Imm IN.

I am assuming that there is no situation where you can exit one country's border and be prevented from entering the next border since you would be stuck in no man's land. 

Is it normally the case that a warning is given before exiting Thailand (that a re-entry will fail)?

Or are you able to exit Thailand, enter the new country only to find you are then prevented from now exiting the new  country since you would not be allowed into Thailand? 

Finally in the event of failure is something added in your passport when exiting Thailand that can be seen at other points of entry?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, spambot said:

I really am trying to understand where rejection (or warning of rejection) actually occurs in the process, between the four stages 1). Thailand Imm OUT 2). Border Country IN 3). Border Country OUT 4). Thailand Imm IN.

Being/not being stamped into Thailand can only happen at (4).   Then you'd have to return to the country you came from.   An organised visa run would obviate the potential problem.

• Thanks 1

"I am assuming that there is no situation where you can exit one country's border and be prevented from entering the next border since you would be stuck in no man's land"

Actually there is, did you not watch the movie 'Terminal', based on true story ????

From my reading, Thai Imm will usually warn you on the way out or in, 'that's the last time, you may be refused if doing again'.

Just always make sure you have what is necessary to enter the country you are doing the turn around in; Laos, Cambo or Malay.  Don't think Myanmar is an options yet.

Chok Di

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Being/not being stamped into Thailand can only happen at (4).   Then you'd have to return to the country you came from.   An organised visa run would obviate the potential problem.

Blimey - So what happens then?

Do you then have to turn around and buy a new (if there is a charge) Visa from the border country you just exited? 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually you get warnings, I can't recall the last person who was denied entry

Actually that is a very good point - The warnings would probably prevent the denial of entry and like you say there are not a lot of border denied entry stories on this forum.

51 minutes ago, spambot said:

Actually that is a very good point - The warnings would probably prevent the denial of entry and like you say there are not a lot of border denied entry stories on this forum.

Been wondering about it for a long time. We read about quite a lot of refusal of entries from airports but not at borders. Is it really much easier there for people who stayed in Thailand for a long time with (bogus) visas?

We keep reading from people worried they'll be refused at BKK, DMK and such, is that their "easy" way out?

Edited by BKKTRAVELER

Way back in 2008 I ended up in the hospital in Bangkok. I got out and was resting up and only had 5 days left on my visa exempt stay in Thailand so decide to do a border run to Aranya Prathet-Poipet.

On trying to re-enter Thailand the immigration officer said I had stayed longer than 90 days in Thailand in the last 180 days so I would have to go to Phnom Penh and apply for a tourist visa. He said Cambodia would allow me to re-enter with the visa I had just used.

I really did not want to make the trip on buses from Poipet to Phnom Penh. I told the immigration officer I had 5 days left on my stay before leaving Thailand, showed him my hospital bill and basically begged him to let me back into Thailand. He gave me one day in Thailand. I got a bus back to Bangkok and was on a plane the following day to Kuala Lumpur so never found out if Cambodia would have allowed me to re-enter on my used visa.

IMG_20221123_205805928.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spambot said:

Have you not seen this thread yet? The events transpired at Ban Laem border checkpoint.

Pre-Covid there were one or two stories about people also being refused exit at Aranya/Poi Pet checkpoint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well you asked many questions but actually there is one question you need to answer first: 

10 hours ago, spambot said:

previous mix of O, O-A, Tourist and a few Visa exemptions over 12 years

whole of 12 years how come you didnt or couldnt extend your visa, by yourself or using an agency?!

i dont know nowadays but when i went to cambodia border with my multi non-o IO told me he will let me out just for this time because im abusing my non-multi by not making it 1 year. he let me go and come back but write 'this is my last doing this and i cannot do it again' right on my passport page in thai using red color pen. dont tell me he cannot do or else. he did and i can show its photo! and actually i found out that yes he can do that. so rejection starts at the thai IO side. they will not let you go because they know you cannot come back. so they tell you go back and prepare your documents for a new visa because if you go you cannot come back. 

I am assuming that there is no situation where you can exit one country's border and be prevented from entering the next border since you would be stuck in no man's land. 

there is no such situation for land borders and almost impossible air borders. for land borders they will stop you and dont let you leave the country. simply will tell you to go back and be ready for get a new visa. 

if i were you i would extend my visa.. thats all you need to do

good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see how they can deny you leaving the country. If you haven't broken any laws, they will have to let you out, All they can do is to tell that you won't be allowed back in. Even then, you could try another border crossing. There are lots of Cambodian - Thai crossings, some on the Isan side where they probably won't scrutinize your history as closely. I did something like this ages ago when we still needed a tax clearance to leave the country (after more than 180 days aggregate or in a calendar year). I tried to exit at the Pedang Besar border without a tax clearance, and was refused. He told me to go back to Hadyai to get one. I pleaded with him that it was the weekend and by Monday I would be in overstay. To no avail. Took a bus to Saturn,where I was stamped out without anybody mentioning the required tax clearance. 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:59 PM, BKKTRAVELER said:

Been wondering about it for a long time. We read about quite a lot of refusal of entries from airports but not at borders. Is it really much easier there for people who stayed in Thailand for a long time with (bogus) visas?

We keep reading from people worried they'll be refused at BKK, DMK and such, is that their "easy" way out?

What's a bogus visa?

1 hour ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Like people who study to learn Thai and then then don't. a Thai classic

There are two ways people encounter problems when using Non Ed visas and extensions. The first is when they want to extend their permission to stay. This cannot be done with a border bounce. An extension is only possible at the local immigration office where officials may, or may not, try to establish if you are attending classes. The other is where you have an extension based on studying, in conjunction with a re-entry permit, and leave Thailand for a significant period (say a month) before returning. Airport immigration may then question how it is possible that you could miss classes for such a long period and still be enrolled. I suspect entering by land in this situation might be better, but (again) this is not a "border bounce" issue as it is usually understood.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you have any agents recommended in Pattaya for an "organized" run with guarantees?

On 11/30/2022 at 4:56 PM, Dart12 said:
On 11/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you have any agents recommended in Pattaya for an "organized" run with guarantees?

No. I don't, I don't live in Pattaya.   I doubt that any border run company will guarantee your being stamped back in but it's their job (and in their interests) to advise you whether they will likely be able to sort your problems at the border before you get stranded.  

• Thanks 1