Do you find Bill Shatner’s Humor surprisingly refreshing, if not ENDEARING, after all these years?

GammaGlobulin

My Dearest Friends,

Most of you guys have fond memories of growing up with Captain Kirk. Boy, those were the days, for sure!

One thing I never knew while watching Star Trek was just how fine Shatner’s sense of humor actually might have been, and seemingly still is.  In other words, Shatner was probably always playing Kaptain Kirk tongue in cheek, and yet few understood.

These days, now that Shatner is over 90 years of age, Shatner has become my Kaptain of humor, for sure.  The Kirkian sense of humor is among those most closely aligned with mine; it now seems to me.

I also find Vanity Fair humor much to my liking, and here is a clip of Shatner on Vanity Fair.

There are many, many examples of Shatner’s amazing, mostly otherworldly, sense of humor on the net.  Maybe you can find a few more examples for yourself.

Is Shatner’s form of humor one which resonates with you?

If so, then you are probably like me, in many ways.

Humor is a godsend from God for humanity to make life less of an intolerable Sisyphean struggle, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shatner has become my Kaptain of humor, providing me with a keen sense of the unimportance of taking oneself too seriously in life.

My Dear Friends, Shatner has maintained his good humor despite daunting odds. Can we not but attempt to do the same?

Heading out into the Universe as we all do is NOT for the feint of heart.

Spinning around on Planet Earth, while simultaneously orbiting the Sun, as the Sun itself travels at 200 kilometers per second to nowhere, is not for the faint of heart, anyway.

Heaven Help me.

I'm your Kaptain,

Though I'm feeling mighty sick.

I'm getting closer to my home....

I'm getting closer to my home..........

I'm getting closer to my......

Regards,

GammaG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Star Trek and Captain James Tiberias Kirk, there is only one song....

Although, Neunundneunzig Luftballons mentions the Captain as well.

Thank you!!! 

You read my past post about Luftbalons. 

Thanks! 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please note:

With Shatner's dry and rather esoteric sense of humor, does anybody really believe he hailed from Canada? 

Nobody knows what Kirk is thinking when he says anything. 

Millions do. He is one of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Most of you guys have fond memories of growing up with Captain Kirk. Boy, those were the days, for sure!

I doubt most of us! 555  If you lived in America and are over 62? years old yes. 

Do not think Star Trek TV series was broadcast overseas in 1966.

24 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I doubt most of us! 555  If you lived in America and are over 62? years old yes. 

Do not think Star Trek TV series was broadcast overseas in 1966.

Actually, I had thought, at the time, that the TV series was being beamed everywhere using communications satellites. 

Telstar 1 was active in 1962, for example. By 1967, communications satellites were more advanced. 

By 1969, people around the globe could watch the Moon landing in real time. 

But yours is a very interesting question concerning the global broadcast coverage of the original TV series. 

Are you sure that TV shows were not recorded and then broadcast from overseas to local audiences? I know that they were. 

Concerning Telstar 1, this satellite is still somewhere up above us in a fairly stabe Earth orbit, after 60 years. 

Would you like to hazzard a guess when it will finally come down somewhere in Red China? 

Telstar 1 would have remained operational longer than it had if... . 

Unfortunately, Telstar 1 was destroyed by the Americans during a nuclear space-based sneak-attack, code-named Starfish Prime, in July of 1962.

I still recall the day that Telstar 1 was successfully launched into space, in 1962, almost a full decade before the birth of Musk. 

Did you know that Musk is, like Chomsky, a Penn grad? 

Two very bright lights. 

Both full of cheese. 

Philly cheesesteak, 

It's in their blood. 

16 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I believe Shatner was the one who originated the phrase, "Get a life".

He said that to a group of Trekkies who seemed obsessed with Star Trek to the exclusion of everything else.

•  The first Oxford English Dictionary citation is from a January 1983 Washington Post article: "Gross me out, I mean, Valley Girl was, like, ohmigod, it was last year, fer sure! I mean, get a life! Say what?"
  • 1986: Appears in Baby Anger page 48 as "Get a life, people of New Jersey!"
  • 1986: The phrase was used by actor William Shatner in his appearance in a December episode of Saturday Night Live, in which he shows up at a Star Trek convention and implores a group of Trekkies who are obsessed with the details of Shatner's life to move out of their parents' basements and "get a life."
Edited by DezLez
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I believe Shatner was the one who originated the phrase, "Get a life".

He said that to a group of Trekkies who seemed obsessed with Star Trek to the exclusion of everything else.

He was just reading a script from cue cards on SNL in 1986 or '88. 

He did not come up with the line, himself. 

So, check it out. 

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

He was just reading a script from cue cards on SNL in 1986 or '88. 

He did not come up with the line, himself. 

So, check it out. 

Okay, but he was involved in the first interracial kiss on US TV, with Nichelle Nichols. Of course that's not funny, but it must have been fun rehearsal, as she was a gorgeous woman.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:06 PM, Walker88 said:

Okay, but he was involved in the first interracial kiss on US TV, with Nichelle Nichols. Of course that's not funny, but it must have been fun rehearsal, as she was a gorgeous woman.

If only it had been Spock who was kissed by Kirk... What a shocking moment in life it might have been. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, d4dang said:

He is Canadian

Or, more likely, he is "one of us", an Alien who finds it more convenient to just pretend to be Canadian. 

You can tell that this is true just through appreciation of his otherworldly sense of humor. 

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Or, more likely, he is "one of us", an Alien who finds it more convenient to just pretend to be Canadian. 

You can tell that this is true just through appreciation of his otherworldly sense of humor. 

get a life 

One weird thing about Star Trek is they never portrayed how people get off on board.

Does the captain Delete his spud in his quarters, or does he molest other your crew members after his shift? Or does the doctor give them all strange pills that make the surges go away?

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

One weird thing about Star Trek is they never portrayed how people get off on board.

Does the captain Delete his spud in his quarters, or does he molest other your crew members after his shift? Or does the doctor give them all strange pills that make the surges go away?

With this post, I think you've been taking 'strange pills'.????