Court orders SBN to stop showing World Cup via AIS Playbox service

webfact

image.jpeg

Players of Tunisia (L) and Austrialia listen to the national anthems during the presentation ahead of the Qatar 2022 World Cup Group D football match between Tunisia and Australia at the Al-Janoub Stadium in Al-Wakrah, south of Doha on November 26, 2022. (Photo by MIGUEL MEDINA / AFP)

Thailand’s Central Intellectual Property Court has ordered Super Broadband Network (SBN) to cease streaming World Cup 2022 football matches via its AIS Playbox service, on the grounds that it infringes upon the broadcast rights of True Corporation.

True Corporation claims that it is the only broadcaster in Thailand which has the right to show all 64 World Cupmatches on IPTV and OTT platforms. It appears, however, that a number of other IPTV services have claimed “Must Carry” rights to broadcast the World Cup, which infringes upon True’s rights.

True then filed a lawsuit with the Central Intellectual Property Court against SBN, seeking injunctive relief.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/court-orders-sbn-to-stop-showing-world-cup-via-ais-playbox-service/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

6 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

VPN will solve this issue...!

7 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

VPN will solve this issue...!

Where can I get unbuffered UHD/HDR stream of the World Cup? I've got 500/500 True fibre but they didn't send me any offers and I CBF looking for ways to get high-def stream of the games.

Is it infringement on True's recent negotiated rights when perhaps already previously in place with customers, ie., by earlier SBN subscriptions?

It might be that True would actually owe royalties to SBN and others who had pre-existing subscriptions in place that specifically included access to all World Cup matches, especially if they in turn had to make royalty payments to the World Cup association for such rights.

More background information is needed for a legal conclusion to support True's exclusive Cup broadcast rights in Thailand.

I have a 700 baht a month package with True. I can't see the footy. Inquired on Friday in Big C, and I was told that I'd have to upgrade to some other package or other for just another 299 baht.

I'll settle for a live commentary and catch-ups.

Hope Thailand get knocked out next match.

20 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe to put this in perspective. You have paid for the place to live in. But a squatter moves in, claiming his right to habitation. You want him out of your place, but other freeloaders start calling you greedy, start calling out your family connections, etc. and demand you let him and anyone else to stay at your place for free.

Sounds more like the UK liberal left 'Migrants welcome here' policy

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I have a 700 baht a month package with True. I can't see the footy. Inquired on Friday in Big C, and I was told that I'd have to upgrade to some other package or other for just another 299 baht.

You can't be serious about your final comment. Thailand didn't even qualify for the world cup finals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

299 baht just for the duration of the WC, or on an ongoing basis/contract?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WHansen said:

Not sure how changing your IP address to one in a different country will resolve this particular problem

It wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to watch the games on an AIS Playbox but it would enable you to watch the games on free to air channels from other countries. For example, BBC and ITV in the UK.

26 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

You can't be serious about your final comment. Thailand didn't even qualify for the world cup finals.

I was confused!

Got the World Cup mixed up with fusball (fuzball); in which Thailand excels.

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

299 baht just for the duration of the WC, or on an ongoing basis/contract?

I think it was for 12 month contract. The Mrs did the talking at the store. They did give me a phone number though. Haven't yet phoned.

There is also the family to deal with. Mrs Owl don't let me to watch her TV easily. Have to give it a miss.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I think it was for 12 month contract. The Mrs did the talking at the store. They did give me a phone number though. Haven't yet phoned.

There is also the family to deal with. Mrs Owl don't let me to watch her TV easily. Have to give it a miss.

Oh now that's just rude! They could have just offered you a one-time WC package for a reasonable price and made some money rather than a big fat zero. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Where can I get unbuffered UHD/HDR stream of the World Cup? I've got 500/500 True fibre but they didn't send me any offers and I CBF looking for ways to get high-def stream of the games.

Pulse TV have all of the matches, from various channels, including BBC and ITV.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Pretty sure you can subscribe to the True Sports package(s) for periods of less than a year. You can even subscribe for a day or week, for instance. A single month's subscription may be 399 rather than the 299/month for a 12 month contract though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Oh now that's just rude! They could have just offered you a one-time WC package for a reasonable price and made some money rather than a big fat zero. 

I have two things to do this afternoon if I am to watch any footy.

First thing is to offer the Mrs some money if the World Cup comes on TV. She is out at the moment helping to organise a funeral in the village. She might want some gold1 But I've got that worked out.

With Mrs Owl on side, I'll make that call to True.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

As far as I know, almost all True Internet packages apart from the most basic and cheapest ones, come with a TrueID TV box and a basic TV package. If that doesn't include their World Cup channels - and based on @owl sees all's posts it seems like it may not, then I believe you can get an add-on package for 399 Baht that would give you HD (but not UHD) quality.

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

As far as I know, almost all True Internet packages apart from the most basic and cheapest ones, come with a TrueID TV box and a basic TV package. If that doesn't include their World Cup channels - and based on @owl sees all's posts it seems like it may not, then I believe you can get an add-on package for 399 Baht that would give you HD (but not UHD) quality.

Thanks. After I posted I decided to brave the True website and as you say it requires a "box". I got used to just streaming back home in Australia (Netflix, Amazon and Kayo Sports) so I forgot about those silly boxes. 

I've got a few options now so hopefully I can get something sorted before the real matches begin ????

Edited by Lemsta69

No compelling arguments, quite the contrary.

In countries rich or poor this isn't happening- you switch on the tv and press button 1 or 2, and even live stream it if you want.  And it definitely, legally and morally, should be this way in Thailand too.

A disgrace- and I for one am happy that VPN and illegal pirate services have sprung up.  Serves them right!