Insect Bite Treatment

jaizan

What do people use for insect bite pain relief ?

I have found the Hydrocortisone gels sold in the UK worked very well and some of the alternatives were of no use.     Now most of the places near me don't stock Hydrocortisone.    

So I can either buy some unknown brand off Amazon, or buy something in Thailand, as long as there are some good recommendations.

Have it examined by a medical professional.

Visiting here 35 years ago, I received an insect bite just above the ankle, which I decided to ignore despite several natives warning me that it looked serious to them.  Sparing the details, let me just say that I still suffer effects of that decision.

These folks really hate going to doctors.  If they say you need a doctor, you probably really need a doctor!

• Like 1

Betnovate-N Cream has been a medical box must have for decades and is available at any pharmacy.  It should not be used long term but for bites and cuts it is our first choice.  But also agree Tiger Balm Gold may be all that is required to reduce pain of insect bite.  And this is another must have.

image.jpeg.f26b91d2e29f3c12dd2ed320c99975b9.jpeg

Tiger Balm Red Ointement, 8 gm Price, Uses, Side Effects, Composition -  Apollo Pharmacy

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Anthisan Cream 0E5D23F2-C8DA-498F-B95E-B9EEED6CFF10.jpeg.a704af3ca532b2f121ef6cb18a0b498a.jpeg

is my preferred one.

However as with all bite creams it is most effective if used as soon as possible after the bite. The longer after the bite the lower the effectiveness.

Use immediately, and it will stop itching in minutes, use it next day and the itching will last for hours or days.

3 hours ago, mikesil said:

Have it examined by a medical professional.

Visiting here 35 years ago, I received an insect bite just above the ankle, which I decided to ignore despite several natives warning me that it looked serious to them.  Sparing the details, let me just say that I still suffer effects of that decision.

These folks really hate going to doctors.  If they say you need a doctor, you probably really need a doctor!

Probably wasn't an insect, centipede possibly, and yes the locals would know the difference.

4 hours ago, Coota said:

Sambuk or Samba or something similar, it's like Tiger Balm, buy it from 7/11, it's in a small green and white tin container, Thais use it for insect bites.

I do the same.. sold in many convenience stores and very cheap..

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jaizan said:

So I can either buy some unknown brand off Amazon, or buy something in Thailand, as long as there are some good recommendations.

Small tins of this cream are sold everywhere, even in convenience stores.

Tin is green/white 

IMG_20221129_113228.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I find that tiger balm is quite effective

During my 20 years of retirement in Thailand, I regularly used this balm to relieve the irritation from many types of insect bites - mosquitoes, biting flies, spiders, red ants etc. I always carried a small container in my pocket (and still do here in Cambodia). The white Tiger Balm does not stain clothing like the yellow can do.

image.jpeg.89666cb40d41cfcc09bae2cc4f401fda.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the recommendations everyone.

I probably get bitten by a mosquito about once a week, usually when I forgot to put any chemicals on my skin until noticing the mozzies.   

So I'm not going near a doctor unless I'm ill.  

I just want something to stop the itching.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I find that tiger balm is quite effective on mosquito bites. After scratching application of the tiger balm will sting for a few seconds then all irritation subsides.

Golden Cup balm is what I and all the Isaan Thais use as a cheap local alternative to Tiger balm, works just as well for all the same stuff...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure most here would not believe me, but I will tell you anyway. When I first come to northern Thailand 15 years ago I rode a scooter with no helmet on. One day riding I ran into a swarm of bee's and go stung nearly 50 time in the face and neck. Well my face swelled up and the pain was unbearable. I went to a local doctor and he gave me some cream but it didn't work. So I went on the internet and located a Bee farm in the USA and rang them and told them my story. They advise me to do 2 things 1 to put ice on the stings than put toothpaste on the stings. At this stage I would have tried anything. It really worked so good and now I use toothpaste on all my bites and stings. PS Colgate is fine.

• Love It 1