Buddhist temple left without monks after all its holy men failed drug tests

webfact

Holy men? I thought monks were trying to improve theirselves to break the circle of rebirth, so not holy yet...holy means adjective. ho·ly ˈhō-lē holier; holiest. : exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness..... I think that monks are not at this level already..

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He said: “The temple is now empty of monks and nearby villagers are concerned they cannot do any merit-making.”

Shouldn't they be more concerned that the monks were all fake monks?  Does this mean that their previous merit making is null and void?  Can they claim back all their previous donations?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Monks and Catholic priests have a lot in common. They both want an easy life without applying themselves to the religious beliefs they signed up for. 

The whole world's religions are based on the orginiser's love of power and wealth. 

My favorite target is, of course, the religions that demand that their women are designed for cooking and ****ing only. Mostly muslim <deleted> , of course. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Aint that the truth ! Monks get free food, free housing , phones, air con, drugs , booze , women , cars, planes,  access to temple funds.....................

Same as Catholic priests "gravy train riders with a turned around collar" as Terry Malloy called them in "On the Waterfront".

21 hours ago, webfact said:

District official Boonlert Thintapthai told AFP the site was now “empty”, much to the disappointment of local Buddhists.

Maybe this "ponzi scheme" under the guise of Buddhism should clean it's act up.

14 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

The message shows up even in Dutch news papers.

Not a good turn from the monks in LOS.

Yes, it popped up on the BBC as well, in fact that's where I first read about it. This line comes from the full story:

''He said: “The temple is now empty of monks and nearby villagers are concerned they cannot do any merit-making.”''

It just shows the grip that the temple and the religion in general has over the populous. If they really do want to 'make merit' there are plenty of alternative ways other than feeding a bunch of idol layabouts.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 2:36 PM, khaowong1 said:

Since there seems to be a temple about every mile, I don't think the villagers will be distraught for long.  Since this temple is now empty, would be a good place to harbor some homeless. 

Easy for the homeless and they just have to become monks....

• Haha 1