UK Military : "Its just not right" !

Military says 'it's just not right' as soldiers may give up Christmas to cover strikes

Senior military personnel have told ministers that soldiers should not be made to give up Christmas to cover workers who will be striking this December.

The Government has said army staff, civil servants and volunteers are being trained to cover jobs as workers prepare to go on strikes this festive season. Military figures have wanted that the hundreds of soldiers covering various roles may risk weakening the “operational capability” of the military’s response to threats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Black Ops said:

roles may risk weakening the “operational capability” of the military’s response to threats.

Its already weak, the best thing they could do is

go on strike themselves, like the brand new battle ship,

conked out on maiden voyage.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2022 at 9:22 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Undermining the struggle of working people to obtain a fair wage and working conditions.

Its an average of 36K/year (lowest is 25k and highest 48k for standard officers according to GlassDoor). They are being offered a 2% rise.

As a UK tax payer and pensioner they are doing a lot better than me.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Its an average of 36K/year (lowest is 25k and highest 48k for standard officers according to GlassDoor). They are being offered a 2% rise.

Your pension is subject to the triple lock.

Tell me who else has such a good deal?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

UK state pension rise will be 10.1%

Not sure how you think a 2% rise is better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

My state pension is a pittance compared to 36K.

So let me get this right.

Your argument against working people receiving a decent pay is you yourself are getting less, even though your pension is subject to the triple lock.

Has anyone ever explained to you the idea of ‘crabs in a bucket’?

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

working people receiving a decent pay

My point is what is "decent" pay. Its a nice phrase to throw around, Mick Lynch does it daily.

But should not "decent" be open to scrutiny. Surely it would be better for the public, who will not only pay for the wage rise, as well as the improvements in conditions of work as well as the resulting higher service fees (such as rail tickets) that will get passed on to as well.

I consider an average of 36K (or over 50k for rail drivers) to be "decent". You may not, I accept that.

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

My point is what is "decent" pay. Its a nice phrase to throw around, Mick Lynch does it daily.

But should not "decent" be open to scrutiny. Surely it would be better for the public, who will not only pay for the wage rise, as well as the improvements in conditions of work as well as the resulting higher service fees (such as rail tickets) that will get passed on to as well.

I consider an average of 36K (or over 50k for rail drivers) to be "decent". You may not, I accept that.

How about the head of RCN salary at £197000 a year? Paid for by £16.40 a month union membership fees. Unions paying that much to their leader is a disgrace.

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

It doesn’t matter what the rate is, inflation is over 10%, any pay rise below inflation is a pay cut.

Refer to the triple lock on your state pension.

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It doesn’t matter what the rate is, inflation is over 10%, any pay rise below inflation is a pay cut.

Refer to the triple lock on your state pension.

It was not long ago you were bemoaning the 5% tax cut for higher earners.

Now you are happy to give them a 10%+ payrise.

Strange.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

It was not long ago you were bemoaning the 5% tax cut for higher earners.

Now you are happy to give them a 10%+ payrise.

Strange.

Oh look, I’m being trolled across threads.

Let’s see if you can work out the difference between tax cuts paid for by borrowing money (and the damage The Lettuce did with that dumb idea) and pay rises paid for out of operating costs.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

How about the head of RCN salary at £197000 a year? Paid for by £16.40 a month union membership fees. Unions paying that much to their leader is a disgrace.

The RCN has around 465,000 members.

The bill per member for first class leadership is a little under 20p per month.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Yes, that is a large salary for the RCN union leader , much higher than Mick Lynches the RMT unions leaders  salary , wouldn't want to get those two mixed up 

RCN chief’s salary rises to £197,000 per year

The RCN chief is in the unique position of having both the role of Chief Executive and General Secretary.

The salary of the boss at the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) has risen to £197,000 per year, according to recently published data.

Annual reports published by the RCN reveal that between 2015 and 2020 the total salary for the union’s Chief Executive and General Secretary increased by a whopping £33,000 – from £164,000 to £197,000.

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/rcn-chiefs-total-salary-and-benefits-rise-to-197000-per-year/

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

58 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

RCN has around 465,000 members.

The bill per member for first class leadership is a little under 20p per month.

"I'll tell you go to the picket line, lose salary for everyday you are there while I stay here in my warm office on full pay"

Yep. Great leadership.

7 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Civil servants, NHS staff????

Plenty on high end salaries. 

We’ve had this before haven’t we, the bit we’re you have difficulty grasping what is and what is not a high income.

I’m for working people getting the best deal they can.

How about you?

Edited by Chomper Higgot

7 minutes ago, puchooay said:

"I'll tell you go to the picket line, lose salary for everyday you are there while I stay here in my warm office on full pay"

Yep. Great leadership.

The head of the RCN made an unconditional offer to the Government.

Turn up for pay talks and the strike will be called off.

The Government turned down the offer.

Last minute talks between the Government and the RCN broke down and now there will be a strike 

Last-minute talks to halt nurse strike break down

Monday December 12 2022

Thousands of patients will tomorrow be told their operations and appointments are being cancelled after last-ditch talks to avert the nursing strike collapsed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/last-minute-talks-to-halt-nurse-strike-break-down-nw78rgrt2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Last minute talks between the Government and the RCN broke down and now there will be a strike 

Monday December 12 2022

Thousands of patients will tomorrow be told their operations and appointments are being cancelled after last-ditch talks to avert the nursing strike collapsed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/last-minute-talks-to-halt-nurse-strike-break-down-nw78rgrt2

Perhaps the offer to bang pots and pans on doorsteps again didn’t cut it.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m for working people getting the best deal they can.

By not defining what you class as high salary earners, by refusing to define "wealthy" by chopping and chosing who you back and who you don't, you have undermined nearly every comment you have made and will make on the subject of the UK economy.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 3:27 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

If the U.K does go to war with Russia , I do hope that they wait until January 5 th , when Christmas and the New year is over .

Wouldn't want British soldiers to miss their Christmas 

You think soldiers are not human, don't have families, don't need a break like everyone else?

:saai:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Monday December 12 2022

I'm surprised the RCN is actually doing their job ( at last ). When I was a member they were useless at getting a decent wage. More interested in hindering nurses than helping them.

Everyone that is now going to be blaming nurses for causing cancelled operations should remember that they have benefited for decades by underpaying nurses and that it's well past time nurses took action to get what they are worth. Most people IMO would never do what nurses do, and certainly not for the wages they get.

• Thanks 1