Nuclear fusion: How long until this breakthrough discovery can power your house

Scott

image.png

NIF's target chamber is where the magic happens -- temperatures of 100 million degrees and pressures extreme enough to compress the target to densities up to 100 times the density of lead are created there.

For the first time in history, US scientists at the National Ignition Facility at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California successfully produced a nuclear fusion reaction resulting in a net energy gain, a source familiar with the project confirmed to CNN.

The US Department of Energy is expected to officially announce the breakthrough Tuesday.

The result of the experiment would be a massive step in a decadeslong quest to unleash an infinite source of clean energy that could help end dependence on fossil fuels.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/us/common-questions-nuclear-fusion-climate/index.html

CNN.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Care to produce any credible evidence that most scientists believe that climate change is not an existential threat?

I don't think I've seen any serious scientists say that climate change is an existential threat.

The only people I've heard say anything like that are Prince Charles, Bono, Greta Thunberg, people like that, though probably Gwynneth and Leo have said something similar.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Maybe you haven't been looking hard enough

‘Dangerously underexplored’: Experts warn climate change could lead to extinction of humanity

The world needs to prepare for humanity’s extinction because of climate change, according to a shocking new study. Scientists say global warming could become “catastrophic” for humanity if temperatures rise by even more than they are predicted to, or if the rising temperatures set off an unpredictable chain of events in nature.

The team, led by Cambridge University academics, says people should prepare for horror scenarios ranging from the loss of 10 percent of the world’s population to the end of all human life on Earth.

https://studyfinds.org/climate-change-extinction-humanity/

Yes, I saw that, not hard to find with a Google search, was it? 

I would say that the most notable feature of this paper is the extraordinary length of the chain of occurrences that have to happen to make this possible.

If the temperature goes up by 3C, and if that in turn causes the Amazon to go up in flames, and if there is a loss of stratocumulus clouds, and if we don't improve political stability and if there is an infectious disease pandemic and if the Greenland ice sheet collapses and if and if and if ....

Terrifying ourselves with shadowy goblins, and focusing on improbable worst-case scenarios may generate headlines, but it is not a very good strategy for solving the multiple problems that we do have. Leave that sort of stuff to Prince Charles and Bono.

12 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I have quoted from memory 45mln barrels per day (from an article I have read just before pandemic), so 3 years ago and made a mistake, sorry. That projection was expecting continuous growth in crude oil.

That is projection from this year, based on APEC report. 

"Globally, oil demand is projected to increase from almost 97 million barrels a day (mb/d) in 2021 to around 110 mb/d in 2045, the outlook said"

http://www.tradearabia.com/news/OGN_402594.html

Only very few countries, the richest and most economically advanced, are pushing for renewable energy. Namely germany are pioneers - at expense of some e200bln for the next few years. Yet, at the same time, they are forced to import NPG from the USA and investing tens of bln in those facilities.

That sounds about right. It is only the deranged activists who think that we can wave a magic wand and suddenly switch to "renewable" energy.

As for fusion power, if at long last one day it does prove to be viable, I expect those same activists will have found some excuse to claim that it is "dangerous", or "discriminatory" and do their utmost to hamper it in every way possible.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I have quoted from memory 45mln barrels per day (from an article I have read just before pandemic), so 3 years ago and made a mistake, sorry. That projection was expecting continuous growth in crude oil.

That is projection from this year, based on APEC report. 

"Globally, oil demand is projected to increase from almost 97 million barrels a day (mb/d) in 2021 to around 110 mb/d in 2045, the outlook said"

http://www.tradearabia.com/news/OGN_402594.html

Actually, the report was from OPEC not APEC. And what do you expect an OPEC report to claim?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

That sounds about right. It is only the deranged activists who think that we can wave a magic wand and suddenly switch to "renewable" energy.

Please share with us the naes  deranged activists who believe this? Are they in positions of power? 

26 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

As for fusion power, if at long last one day it does prove to be viable, I expect those same activists will have found some excuse to claim that it is "dangerous", or "discriminatory" and do their utmost to hamper it in every way possible.

Nobody is saying that. The problem is the number of people saying there's nothing to see here despite scientists trying to sound the alarm.

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Making stuff up much?

Renewable power’s growth is being turbocharged as countries seek to strengthen energy security

The global energy crisis is driving a sharp acceleration in installations of renewable power, with total capacity growth worldwide set to almost double in the next five years, overtaking coal as the largest source of electricity generation along the way and helping keep alive the possibility of limiting global warming to 1.5 °C, the IEA says in a new report.

This massive expected increase is 30% higher than the amount of growth that was forecast just a year ago, highlighting how quickly governments have thrown additional policy weight behind renewables. The report finds that renewables are set to account for over 90% of global electricity expansion over the next five years, overtaking coal to become the largest source of global electricity by early 2025.

https://www.iea.org/news/renewable-power-s-growth-is-being-turbocharged-as-countries-seek-to-strengthen-energy-security

Peak oil has been reached

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Please share with us the naes  deranged activists who believe this? Are they in positions of power? 

Well, I'm not sure whether they're in power or not, but the UK Government, with its imbecile Net Zero strategy and ruinous Climate Change Act, is a good example of what I'm talking about.

It is a masterpiece of ill-thought-out drivel, seemingly created by people who missed their calling to write instruction manuals for ice-cube trays. Read the whole thing if you dare - personally I would rather read the whole Harry Potter series in Latvian - but it notably includes the idea of creating "hundreds of thousands of  well-paid jobs" in the green energy business.

A sensible energy policy tries to minimize the number of people involved in energy production. The fewer people you employ for a given output, the more efficient your industry becomes, and all the other people can go and do something more useful.

We have gradually moved in this direction for hundreds of years - first we had everybody spending all day cutting down wood and collecting dung, then we employed an small army of people to dig coal, then a handful of people to operate oil rigs, and finally some guy sitting in a nuclear power station trying not to twiddle the knobs.

And now, Net Zero wants to take us back to the era where huge numbers of people do nothing more than create energy. Madness.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Well, I'm not sure whether they're in power or not, but the UK Government, with its imbecile Net Zero strategy and ruinous Climate Change Act, is a good example of what I'm talking about.

It is a masterpiece of ill-thought-out drivel, seemingly created by people who missed their calling to write instruction manuals for ice-cube trays. Read the whole thing if you dare - personally I would rather read the whole Harry Potter series in Latvian - but it notably includes the idea of creating "hundreds of thousands of  well-paid jobs" in the green energy business.

A sensible energy policy tries to minimize the number of people involved in energy production. The fewer people you employ for a given output, the more efficient your industry becomes, and all the other people can go and do something more useful.

We have gradually moved in this direction for hundreds of years - first we had everybody spending all day cutting down wood and collecting dung, then we employed an small army of people to dig coal, then a handful of people to operate oil rigs, and finally some guy sitting in a nuclear power station trying not to twiddle the knobs.

And now, Net Zero wants to take us back to the era where huge numbers of people do nothing more than create energy. Madness.

image.png.f6398b51557906d2cd317db9e526247f.png

How ridiculous can a comment be? How does a new industry grow without new workers? The robot revolution hasn't taken place yet. When the petroleum industry began to displace coal, would it have been a valid criticism to complain about the increased number of workers necessitated by the growth of the petroleum industry? 

And by the way, there were  hundreds of thousand of workers in the petroleum industry in the UK when it was at its peak:

"In 2014, when investment levels in the UK Continental Shelf were at record levels, the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), in partnership with industry, commissioned EY to undertake a study of the UK upstream oil and gas workforce. This was published under the title “Fuelling the next generation”. At that point it was estimated that industry supported some 375,000 jobs1 , 1 in every 80 UK jobs. 90% of these jobs were in the supply chain providing essential services to the sector, as well as providing services internationally from a UK base"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/535039/bis-16-266-oil-and-gas-workforce-plan.pdf

As for this:

image.png.dd714f3e80fb241744d2b1f7193803d6.png

Maybe you think rational discussion consists of the tired tropes of an insult comic. You've got nothing.

13 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Actually not mad at all. The age of AI/robotics is already on us, and millions will be made redundant.

The more that can be employed on something the better, or would one prefer millions with no purpose in life?