British ex-teacher, 78, and his boyfriend, 27, killed in horror car crash in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Unfortunately, in Thailand, few drivers have the habit of turning on the turn signal in advance.

Have you lately renewed your Thai driving license (if you should have one)? You need to follow an hour long video which stresses the point of turning signals.: 30 m before the turn. You have to answer two out of four questions to this point...... and the speed you are driving at is on no concern...????

Nevertheless, I agree with your statement.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Sadly Thailand is moving backwards in this regard so I find it hilarious when they make plans for "50% less deaths by 2030" or whatever nonsense they come out with.

One needs to ignore half of what politicians here say and disregard the rest otherwise you would be believing that Thailand is soon going to the moon, that they have invented a cure for AIDS and Ebola and that all Thai politicians are born super-rich or borrowed it from dead friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

If someone is doing 180k's it will not matter.

You can have indicators and all lights blazing, with sirens sounding if you wish.

There appears to be logic..."It's my Soi".????????

Yeah, but you missed the point. And let's assume they're doing the speed limit. It's simply about risk mitigation.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Purely out of interest, does the hospital go after the family of a foreign person when they cannot revive him for payment, refuse the body a funeral until bill paid  or just take the hit (unlikely)

According to the National Institute for Emergency Medicine, all Thai hospitals, private and state, are required by law to provide emergency care treatment in situations such as this for the first 72 hours of admittance.  Presumably, as they have that obligation, they would be reimbursed by the state.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Appears the CRV is at fault, but what are the other factors?  Was he making a legal turn? Was it safe to make a turn there? Did he signal prior or suddenly stop in moving traffic to turn?  Looks like he had an old cheap car without airbag support.

Sad 2 died, but could could deaths have been avoided?

too much logics in your questions, this way we can hardly go on with "Bashing Thai drivers, the system, the roads etc."

38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

'dailymail' ... nuff said.

Probably wouldn't even make the news without the age difference highlighted.

I was thinking exactly the same!

And what purpose was served except to cause intentional embarrassment to the families of both individuals after their unfortunate passing, especially the young man, barely started his life.

Hope the Daily Mail is proud of their insensitive and unnecessary age focused reporting!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Oh man I've come to hate the cops here so much. Only they have the authority to help but they refuse to do anything. If I could install a camera on the road I live next to you could see the police sitting their in the their office while everyone breaks the laws all day and then superimpose fatal accidents on top of that footage. They're worse than useless.

Yep, I know a bloke who was supposed to be over the limit, so said the cops at the road block, he only had 4 small San Miguel beers in 5 hours and he was offered the choice of jail overnight and a 20,000 baht fine and court in the morning, his reading was 0.63, he opted for the 10,000 cash and be on your way.

I said to him, he should have told them to take him to the hospital for a blood test, he said, you forget where you are, they can say my blood reading was whatever they wanted it to be if he asked for it.

Just being Caption Obvious here but look at the picture.

The article said they were turning right onto a small road.

Look at the road.
Four lanes separated by a narrow media strip marked with white diagonal strips, which even here in Thailand means "Don't Drive Here."
So essentially it looks like they were trying to make the turn from the "Fast Lane." 

Two points:  That looks like a really bad place to attempt a turn and if your gonna do it have your eyes on you rearview mirror;
and secondly, the median strip is a warning not to cross at that point.  Well, not that anyone actually knows how to drive here no less follow basic rules and road markings.

Very tragic, very avoidable. Everyone trying to get where they are going "quick quick" and the only place they end up "quick quick" is the crematorium.

image.jpeg.ad641665d56758bba341a1c9d49555db.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tgw said:

from the published photo it seems very clear that not only this wasn't a U-turn spot, but there are continuous lines and zebras on the ground indicating crossing there is totally prohibited.

Nonsense, the photo in the OP does not show a zebra crossing markings, neither does the photo show the Yaris driving across any unbroken white lines.

3 hours ago, chricha said:

Why the reporter felt it necessary to mention that the young man was the boyfriend I have no idea! How did he know this or is it just speculation? 

If you bothered to read the report you'd have an idea and wouldn't have to speculate about the veracity of the reference.  A friend referred to them as "a couple".

7 minutes ago, connda said:

Just being Caption Obvious here but look at the picture.

The article said they were turning right onto a small road.

Look at the road.
Four lanes separated by a narrow media strip marked with white diagonal strips, which even here in Thailand means "Don't Drive Here."
So essentially it looks like they were trying to make the turn from the "Fast Lane." 

Two points:  That looks like a really bad place to attempt a turn and if your gonna do it have your eyes on you rearview mirror;
and secondly, the median strip is a warning not to cross at that point.  Well, not that anyone actually knows how to drive here no less follow basic rules and road markings.

Very tragic, very avoidable. Everyone trying to get where they are going "quick quick" and the only place they end up "quick quick" is the crematorium.

image.jpeg.ad641665d56758bba341a1c9d49555db.jpeg

RIP to the gentlemen involved.

There is CCTV out there somewhere, I will reserve judgment until then.

However, based on the single photo provided from the CCTV, I do believe your preliminary assessment of this being a possibly illegal right turn from the fast lane of a dual carriageway is not unreasonable. Even if that is so, there remains the question of why the CRV didn't take evasive action. 

Edited by realfunster
Typo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Do you have a Thai partner or partner from any country? Do you give that person support every month? Reality is that this is normal in most/all countries in the world. 

It's normal for partners to support each other financially in nearly all countries. Thailand is different, for obvious reasons, let's just say old men don't find their young partners in the same ways as the other countries. 

The Daily Mail wants readers, so they highlight the age difference and maybe the same sex too, although I think the age difference is the shocking thing here.

Also, this is in the main Thailand News, whereas if it had been a man and a woman  it would have been in the local forums, again as it gets readers. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Oh man I've come to hate the cops here so much. Only they have the authority to help but they refuse to do anything. If I could install a camera on the road I live next to you could see the police sitting their in the their office while everyone breaks the laws all day and then superimpose fatal accidents on top of that footage. They're worse than useless.

One of my favorite places I'd like to set up a camera for a hour is out on Highway 11 where there is a U-Turn about 50 meters from a Highway Patrol station.  All day long, cars and trucks traveling North stop at the U-turn, cross the road and continue to drive Northbound in the Southbound lane of Highway 11 in order to make a right-hand turn (going the wrong way) on to the side road - Right in the line of sight of the Cop Shop.

No one cares here, including the cops, which is why this place is such a dangerous place to drive.

Edited by connda
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

U turns are a plague in Thailand ... 

Problem happens because Thais and the police refuse to drive at safe speeds considering what the U turns require ...

There's a U turn outside my house and just last week there were two accidents.... 

Jesus....  He wasn't making a U-turn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tarteso said:
3 hours ago, tgw said:

there are continuous lines and zebras on the ground indicating crossing there is totally prohibited.

Try to explain to Thais what’s lines and zebras meaning on the roads.

Try to explain to some Thaivisa posters that there were no continuous white lines, not zebra crossing markings, that the Yaris was shown driving over in the OP photo.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ardsong said:

keep the front wheels straight, pointing towards the main-road. In case you get a back bump, at least your car is not turned into the path of the opposite traffic but will continue the same road pushed by the back colliding car.

That only works if the rear-ender hits full-on straight, if the car is hit at the rear corner it will go in the direction that it is being hit (or it will be spun around), regardless of the front wheels' position.