Biden signs into law same-sex marriage bill, 10 years after his famous Sunday show answer on the issue

Scott

blue yellow and red striped flag under blue sky during daytime

President Joe Biden signed into law Tuesday landmark new federal protections for same-sex and interracial couples, capping both a personal and national evolution on an issue that’s enjoyed growing acceptance over the past decade.

Biden signed the Respect for Marriage Act before thousands of invited guests on the South Lawn at an event the White House said reflected the importance of the moment.

“Marriage is a simple proposition. Who do you love? And will you be loyal to that person you love?” the president asked from the South Lawn.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/13/politics/white-house-same-sex-marriage-signing-ceremony/index.html?utm_term=1670967831758ff1d4ad50e48&utm_source=cnn_Breaking+News&utm_medium=email&bt_ee=%2B%2FlRBAql0t50RCckmAqBQ4LhTkNC1djR5jv%2FjRUoVVcNmjkI%2FIJ4MIbizSx6PIu5&bt_ts=1670967831761

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

2 hours ago, wombat said:

its 2022 and im reading inter racial marriages have just been made legal?
Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863 according to a movie ive just watched...im obviously missing the elephant in the room with this one.

Yes you are. Interracial marriages were barred in the south until the 1960's. Even then, laws remained on the books for decades.

You will be shocked to learn that the South was also  practiced legally sanctioned segregation until the 1963 civil rights bill was passed. The Republican candidate for President in 1964 opposed that bill. Oddly enough, the South voted for him overwhelmingly and has continued mostly to vote Republican.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Yes you are. Interracial marriages were barred in the south until the 1960's. Even then, laws remained on the books for decades.

You will be shocked to learn that the South was also  practiced legally sanctioned segregation until the 1963 civil rights bill was passed. The Republican candidate for President in 1964 opposed that bill. Oddly enough, the South voted for him overwhelmingly and has continued mostly to vote Republican.

I was shocked in 2002 and 2004 driving through the south, witnessing segregation was still in full swing at restaurants where I ate. Sure, there were no signs indicating such, but it was clear that whites sat in one section, blacks in another. Until the day that so many interracial babies exist and job applications no longer have the question of which race you are, this will be a problem.

Good for Ol' Joe getting this passed. As he said at the signing ceremony,

"When a person can be married in the morning and thrown out of a restaurant for being gay in the afternoon, this is still wrong."

Uh......what? Where in the U S of A does that happen? Or is Joe just maundering on in a nostalgic haze, as usual...

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

"When a person can be married in the morning and thrown out of a restaurant for being gay in the afternoon, this is still wrong."

Uh......what? Where in the U S of A does that happen? Or is Joe just maundering on in a nostalgic haze, as usual...

It's probably a bit figurative for you, but I believe he is referring to the habit of our least tolerant fellows refusing to serve minorities whose lifestyles they don't like.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, wombat said:

its 2022 and im reading inter racial marriages have just been made legal?
Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863 according to a movie ive just watched...im obviously missing the elephant in the room with this one.

In a short article I read online (so it has to be true!) the current approval of interracial and same sex marriage is based on past Supreme Court rulings, much like Roe v Wade was for abortion.  What the Supreme Court has approved in the past in can all too easily decide to change today.  The fact that the Supreme Court *did* reverse the Roe v Wade ruling, made Congress scramble to make these marriages a *law* (not just a Supreme Court ruling.)   That was my takeaway from the article.  I'm sure I'll be corrected here if that's incorrect.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Ah, I get it. Like when restaurants refuse to serve "right wing" politicians, or cancel reservations of pro life groups. That sort of thing? 

Because I have never heard of a restaurant throwing someone out because they were gay. I mean, how would the restaurant even know?

We for asked to stop showing we might be gay, or leave as we were going to upset the other customer.

The other customer could not care less, it was the restaurant owner who was homophobic. (and I later found out a costed gay).  I was only 2O and was really upset about it.  It was so humiliating and we left.  We are still together over 20 years later. 

BTW all we did was give each other a hug and a quick kiss at out table. 

9 hours ago, placeholder said:

Let's see... Texas restaurant, nearly 10 years ago, owner says it was inappropriate behavior and not sexuality

NYC case, management supports gay customers and fires bad employee.

California case, no follow up so can't comment.

If they happened as written, they are reprehensible. But the difference seems to be that they were isolated to one or two staff, and in two cases management was not on board with the behavior.  In the political cases, they happened with full support of management, which is much worse.

14 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

There is a case before the SCOTUS right now ( ie the SCOTUS has agreed to hear the case) in which a business owner wishes to deny service to gay couples.

The religious rightwing are actively working to discriminate against gay people. 

So let’s quit with the denial shall we.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-02-22/supreme-court-free-speech-right-to-turn-away-same-sex-couples

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There is a case before the SCOTUS right now ( ie the SCOTUS has agreed to hear the case) in which a business owner wishes to deny service to gay couples.

The religious rightwing are actively working to discriminate against gay people. 

So let’s quit with the denial shall we.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-02-22/supreme-court-free-speech-right-to-turn-away-same-sex-couples

Actually not. The business did not want to produce something that they did not agree with. The sexual preference of the customers was irrelevant.  A straight couple wanting a specially designed website for a gay wedding would also have been turned down.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Let's see... Texas restaurant, nearly 10 years ago, owner says it was inappropriate behavior and not sexuality

NYC case, management supports gay customers and fires bad employee.

California case, no follow up so can't comment.

If they happened as written, they are reprehensible. But the difference seems to be that they were isolated to one or two staff, and in two cases management was not on board with the behavior.  In the political cases, they happened with full support of management, which is much worse.

You asked where does it happen. I gave you some examples.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 5:08 AM, Hanaguma said:

I can imagine many restaurants in Texas, Louisiana, Alaba, Mississippi along with other states not welcoming to gay couples.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

I can imagine many restaurants in Texas, Louisiana, Alaba, Mississippi along with other states not welcoming to gay couples.

I am sure you can, which highlights your prejudice. Besides, how would the restaurants in question even know if two people eating together are a couple or not?  I don't think gay folks walk around wearing "I AM GAY and SO IS HE/SHE" t-shirts. 

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I am sure you can, which highlights your prejudice. Besides, how would the restaurants in question even know if two people eating together are a couple or not?  I don't think gay folks walk around wearing "I AM GAY and SO IS HE/SHE" t-shirts. 

So you don't think people who are romantically involved with each other behave differently than those who are not. Do you hold hands with a friend if you meet them for a meal? Give them a kiss? Engage in flirtatious behavior?

On 12/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Well done Joe, well done Democrats and the few Republicans who backed this.

Freedom to pursue happiness by marrying whoever you happen love, fits right into the essence of the liberty at the heart of what is America.

I kinda disagree.

If they have the right to marry, then they have the right to adopt children as a couple.

But look what they are doing with their children: giving them puberty blocking medications as an LBGTQ lifestyle choice.

There's liberty and then there's too much liberty.