Health Ministry Highlights Medical Tourism Potential

snoop1130

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Sure...

Huh... Myanmar and Cambodia have so amy rich people that they come for medical treatment for an average of 35.000 THB???? Amazing....

Usual routine, the haves have, and the have nots do not.

Edited by Scouse123

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Sure...

Huh... Myanmar and Cambodia have so amy rich people that they come for medical treatment for an average of 35.000 THB???? Amazing....

Probably more like necessary treatments that are not easily available in Myanmar or Cambodia. - Time for a new tourism campaign to lure thousands of  Burmese and Cambodian billionaires to Thailand??

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Will they have to have to get to the hospital for 6am for a queue number wait 3 hours and be told its the doctors day off come back tomorrow ????

We are referring to medical tourism which is private hospitals not government facilities.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Speaking to my insurance company, the rates in Thailand are not reasonable. Friends have had similar conversations with their insurance companies.

Costs in Thailand are well padded once the hospital knows that an insurance company is involved.

eg I went for biopsy at a very well known hospital in Bangkok. When I told them that I was paying privately, the quote/cost was 70,000 to 80,000 baht.

When I asked for a detailed bill (and inadvertently said 'for insurance) the bill lept up to 120,000 baht.

'reasonable rates'? More untruths from politicians.

Correct,

And the insurance companies know this too. Thailand is well known for this kind of ' sharp practice '

"High medical care standards, quality treatments, reasonable rates, and affordable cost of living for long-term patients......"

Obviously Anutin "talking the talk" again! 

Without naming names (possible defamation claim?) a hospital in the tourist resort where I live was going to charge a tourist 19,000 baht for 1 stitch in a cut to his finger - yes that's right - nineteen thousand baht for one stitch!!!

Obviously Anutin has a different interpretation of "reasonable rates" than I do!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Correct,

And the insurance companies know this too. Thailand is well known for this kind of ' sharp practice '

Perhaps why my previous insurance company insisted I pay myself up front, and submit a claim to them with receipts later. I had tried just handing my insurance card over. 

I can appreciate if it reduces their costs, but it also reduces the benefit of my having insurance, if I still need to keep money here readily available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Yes , medical treatment in a quality hospital in Thailand is expensive .

That says it all ... strengthen the national economy ...

I went to BKK Hospital for a minor health problem , consulted a doctor who told me that he will need to do an operation on me urgently .

I refused , I know that they need to make money for the hospital and they do not really care for the patient's well being ...

Took some pills from a Pharmacy , everything was ok again within a few days ...

With an ( unnecessary ) operation , there might have been complications and more problems coming up ...

I understand , they need to make money , but that is no way ...

Yes, medical care in a private hospital is a business, like any other business and what they want to do is make money, patients come in second place?

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Public Health has emphasized the potential benefits of its "Health for Wealth" concept in enhancing Thailand’s economy through medical tourism promotion.

I'm sure all the newly opened ganja shops are doing brisk business.

45 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Admittedly Thailand has very good medical…. Unlike US you don’t have to leave your wallet and atm card on the way out ie expensive…

Oh do not be too sure... retention of passports is not unheard of!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

necessary treatments that are not easily available in Myanmar or Cambodia. -

Yes indeed. I can only relate to Cambodia where I now live in Siem Reap. My landlord with his extended family and friends regularly cross into Thailand at the O'Smach border crossing to get tests and treatment in the Government and Private hospitals in Ubon Ratchathani - but, I can assure you, not at 35,000 baht!!

• Like 2

I started to come back here (after not being in-country since the early 80's) for medical tourism (dental)  and have had many subsequent medical procedures here pre and post emigration and can say there has been no better treatment delivery anywhere in the world than that which I received here ????????

• Like 1