Tesla in Thaiand

Nepal4me

On 12/20/2022 at 11:12 AM, Photoguy21 said:

What if you are planning a long distance trip, say Bangkok to Chiang Mai. You would need to top up on the way? For around town no problem I would agree but otherwise not convinced.

Well, for those rare individuals who want to make the journey non-stop, it would pose a problem. For most of us though, not so much.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Nepal4me said:

Demand seems still high in Thailand at current prices but yeah, expect price decreases when the order rate slows down.

There are lots of complaints in Europe, USA & China that Tesla asked customers to take early deliveries of their cars just before dropping the prices.  If they took orders for 5,000 here at launch, for sure they will want to deliver those before harmonising their price reductions.  The Model 3 Performance is 50% more here than it is in China which is madness with the FTA.

I think what most people are talking about here is Thai people and their perception of brand and EVs

Thai people care more about brand and price,  Tesla's were <deleted> using the supercar spaces in car parks when they were first being imported into Thailand.   This has an impact on Thai's and their perception of the brand.  Most Thai people who can afford a Tesla Model 3 are similar to those Elon worshiping masses, they care more abou the bragging rights than the actual build quality and functionality of the car.  Comes down to face as usual.  Tesla is seen as premium whereas Ora Good Cats are seen as the entry level EV.  

Looking at Tesla's pricing 1.75M THB starting price, I can definitley see lots of them being shipped here.

Also Thai people are fairly quick to adopt tech sometimes without a full understanding of them, and EVs are definitley something the average Thai would buy without thinking about their downsides such as charing networks or support in Thailand etc.  

Re: charging network, I agree with most here that that would be my main concern about getting an EV in Thailand

From my experience in the UK:

Tesla's - fun toy, but would not buy for long term use, maybe more of rental.  Would prefer to get a BMW/Merc/Audi EV.  Kia,Hyundai, Volvo are also worth considering over Tesla if serious about getting an EV

Charging network - depends on adoption of EV, about a decade ago when I first had an EV, charging was easy-ish, there was a small network but small numbers so always had a charging port ready for me.  Now in the UK, the ratio of charging stations to EV on the road has grown disproportiontely.

In Thailand, my concern would be EV adoption is going to massively out strip charing station installations, the good news for city users is that charging stations can be installed at homes, and I've noted quite a few friends and colleagues who have done this and they just charge at home daily so it's not so much of an issue.  Some of my Thai friends have said their EV's are just city cars and they still own a petrol car for out of city driving which made sense to me.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrukenMallardy said:

if serious about getting an EV

Charging network - depends on adoption of EV, about a decade ago when I first had an EV, charging was easy-ish, there was a small network but small numbers so always had a charging port ready for me.  Now in the UK, the ratio of charging stations to EV on the road has grown disproportiontely.

So I'm assuming you don't live in TH, or have a EV here, or you would realize there is an abundant amount of CSs now, and few EVs on the road that utilize them, with exception for 'long weekends' of course.   Where a slot may be occupied, if you didn't reserve.

It's going to take a few years before that changes, and at present, CSs seem to be exceeding demand. ????

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

So I'm assuming you don't live in TH, or have a EV here, or you would realize there is an abundant amount of CSs now, and few EVs on the road that utilize them, with exception for 'long weekends' of course.   Where a slot may be occupied, if you didn't reserve.

It's going to take a few years before that changes, and at present, CSs seem to be exceeding demand. ????

I do live in TH now, as far as I can see, relatively speak, the no. of charing stations now in Thailand, is about the same as UK around 8-10 years ago, maybe a bit more, but the adoption rate of EV in Thailand is much faster than UK was around 8-10 years ago.  The main difference is supply.  A decade ago there were some but not that many EV suppliers maybe each of the bigger names had one or two in their range, now each have about 5-6 EV ranges and then there's the Chinese EVs entering markets everywhere.  The chinese EV's are very popular due to price point.  

The UK would have experienced charging congestion earlier if not for the pandemic, but I would say it took around 5-10 years in the UK for no. of EVs to outstrip CS supply.  

I think Thailand will be even faster, I reckon at this rate if CS installations aren't ampted up, it will outstrip CS supply in 2-3 years.  

Then again, I know nothing, just a random's pointless opinon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrukenMallardy said:

Most Thai people who can afford a Tesla Model 3 are similar to those Elon worshiping masses, they care more abou the bragging rights than the actual build quality and functionality of the car. 

You're out of date.  Have you seen the Teslas from Shanghai?  Build quality is very high.  Functionality???  Way higher than any gas car.  

9 hours ago, DrukenMallardy said:

Would prefer to get a BMW/Merc/Audi EV.  Kia,Hyundai, Volvo are also worth considering over Tesla if serious about getting an EV

You are showing Elon-hate or you just dont have a clue.  Have you actually seen any of those EVs or even read any reviews of them?  Im sure you havent.  They are fine but pale in comparison to Tesla in every single metric.  You would be insane to buy one of those cars over a Tesla.  Range and acceleration, s/w over the air, the 4 Tesla models are rated as the 4 safest cars on the road.  Those cars you mention are not even close to Tesla.  Tesla has built out a charging network in every country they enter, Thailand will be no different.  They'll have superchargers on the Asian highway and south to Huahin.  

On 1/30/2023 at 10:27 AM, KhunLA said:

OK, so you live here, now, but don't own an EV.  Before I owned an EV, I didn't see any CSs either.  go figure.

Thankfully, my ignorance kept me from getting an EV till 2022.  Cheaper & better than earlier versions I may have purchased in 2019/2020 when buying our last ICE.  

Ignorance is Bliss ... ????

According to Ms Google, there's about 

4000 CSs for 660,000 EVs in the UK ... 165 EVs per CS

1000 (?) CSs for 5000 (?) EVs in TH ... 5 EVs per CS

Maybe double that next year, so 10 to 1 ratio, maybe.

Best guess with what I could find, but points out, TH has a ways to go before we need to worry.  At present, just a wee bit of planning/reserving during long weekends, if my reading is correct.

I've yet to see a Q at any CS, but I don't do weekends.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 7:38 PM, Nepal4me said:

You are showing Elon-hate or you just dont have a clue.  Have you actually seen any of those EVs or even read any reviews of them?  Im sure you havent.  They are fine but pale in comparison to Tesla in every single metric.  You would be insane to buy one of those cars over a Tesla.  Range and acceleration, s/w over the air, the 4 Tesla models are rated as the 4 safest cars on the road.  Those cars you mention are not even close to Tesla.  Tesla has built out a charging network in every country they enter, Thailand will be no different.  They'll have superchargers on the Asian highway and south to Huahin.  

I assume you copy and paste this from a Tesla fanboy page, not so much rooted in reality here. Truth is, Tesla drive-train technology is second to none, and their software has many aspects not matched by the competition yet - but that is about where it ends. To claim that car companies that built cars for many decades 'pale in comparison to Tesla in every single metric' is hyperbole at best.

To wit - as of today, only MB has a fully operational and certified(!) level 3 autonomous driving system, far ahead of the Tesla FSD.

360 degree birds eye view should become available on Tesla's hopefully soon - while standard on most high end cars already for years.

Suspension and comfort - stay away from a Tesla.

Interior design - meh. Build quality........stay away from US built cars.

Battery technology: Tesla claimed to be leading, but is now buying batteries from Chinese companies.

There is a potential Tesla designed/built a massive time-bomb with their highly touted mega castings - insurance premiums could detonate for certain Tesla models if slightly damaged cars have to be scrapped with even minor frame damage.

• Like 2

"To wit - as of today, only MB has a fully operational and certified(!) level 3 autonomous driving system, far ahead of the Tesla FSD."

Ahahahahahahaha....

Only works on the highway.

Max speed 40 mph.

Cant handle curves on the road.

Only works if it has a car ahead within 100 meters in the same lane.

Doesnt work in the rain.

Doesnt work if bright light shines in.

It has a few more problems but I can only remember these ones.  

But but but it's level 3...

You just made up your casting FUD.  Ask Sandy Munro from Munro Engineering.  That's not what he says.

Batteries mostly from China, same as what other companies can buy.  Diff is battery management software and cooling system.  Both develooed by Tesla.  That is why Tesla beats virtually every other BEV in range.

Build quality.  China Model 3 and Model Y, better than any peer in same price range.  M3 is $33K in China.  Find me another car in that price range with better build quality.

Tesla has made its debut in Thailand with the delivery of its Model 3 and Model Y vehicles on February 10th, 2023.

However, due to internal issues and the fact that Tesla is new to the Thai market, the company is only able to deliver 45 cars daily.

https://blink-drive.com/index.php/2023/02/11/tesla-begins-a-new-era-in-thailand-with-the-launch-of-model-3-and-model-y-deliveries/

approximately 7,700 orders / cars : 45 cars per day equals 171 days, or nearly 6 months ...

there appears to be no Tesla price reductions in thailand for the next six months !!!

4 hours ago, motdaeng said:

Tesla has made its debut in Thailand with the delivery of its Model 3 and Model Y vehicles on February 10th, 2023.

However, due to internal issues and the fact that Tesla is new to the Thai market, the company is only able to deliver 45 cars daily.

https://blink-drive.com/index.php/2023/02/11/tesla-begins-a-new-era-in-thailand-with-the-launch-of-model-3-and-model-y-deliveries/

approximately 7,700 orders / cars : 45 cars per day equals 171 days, or nearly 6 months ...

there appears to be no Tesla price reductions in thailand for the next six months !!!

I am sure they will accelerate their delivery schedule. I certainly won’t be ordering at the current price premium over China, I think a lot of customers are going to get burned.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nepal4me said:

"To wit - as of today, only MB has a fully operational and certified(!) level 3 autonomous driving system, far ahead of the Tesla FSD."

Ahahahahahahaha....

Only works on the highway.

Max speed 40 mph.

Cant handle curves on the road.

Only works if it has a car ahead within 100 meters in the same lane.

Doesnt work in the rain.

Doesnt work if bright light shines in.

It has a few more problems but I can only remember these ones.  

But but but it's level 3...

You just made up your casting FUD.  Ask Sandy Munro from Munro Engineering.  That's not what he says.

Batteries mostly from China, same as what other companies can buy.  Diff is battery management software and cooling system.  Both develooed by Tesla.  That is why Tesla beats virtually every other BEV in range.

Build quality.  China Model 3 and Model Y, better than any peer in same price range.  M3 is $33K in China.  Find me another car in that price range with better build quality.

Spoken like a true ignoramus......aka Teslafanboy -- my emphasis was, with exclamation mark no less! - on certified. Tesla has nothing certified, MB has. There is a world of difference between certified and beta testing, which I am sure you are not able to comprehend, so I rest my case.

As for Sandy Munro, if there ever was a certified Teslafanboy, he fits the bill. I watched quite a few episodes years ago on 'Autoline Network' when he was still small fish - his take is entertaining and he has good insights into the automotive manufacturing world - but it also showed what his limits and principal interests are. He is in it to make money, I don't blame him - but to make him the ultimate arbiter in all things automotive is silly at best.

And then there is this morsel of your (mis)understanding - I quote: 'That is why Tesla beats virtually every other BEV in range.' First of - range is not a comparative metric, consumption is. Now go back and watch more Sandy Munro - he got the finger on that one in a much more plausible way: Tesla's drive motors are superior and give them an edge in range due to higher efficiency. Plus aerodynamics - Tesla's are ugly for a reason, it pays dividend in the range, particularly at elevated speeds. But the competition is nibbling on Tesla's heels if we go by what TeslaBojorn found in real world driving - the MG 4 EV had a consumption on par with a Tesla model 3 LR at 116Wh/km......this I am sure will give Tesla pause.

31 minutes ago, Nepal4me said:

Irrelevant.  I was just pointing out everything this guy said was nonsense.

There's a lot of that going around.

Tesla $33k ... not worth it, you say, and, that's if you were in China.

Or you could buy the MB here, just a tad over $239k (฿7.9m), but, you're not here either.

Nothing like an Apples & Orange comparison.  Thanks for letting us know, stuff is cheaper in CH than TH, as we would have never guessed.

Hope either one is cheaper where you are, though doubt if the Tesla is.

Edited by KhunLA

Tesla Officially Starts Delivery of Model Y & 3 to Thailand

Feb 13, 2023    By Eva Fox

Tesla began delivering Model Y and Model 3 to Thailand after about 2,000 vehicles arrived in the country at the end of January. This is the first official shipment of Tesla cars to the country where they are highly popular.

Tesla customers in Thailand celebrated the great news: the company has started deliveries of its vehicles to the first customers. @Tslachan/Twitter shared that on February 11, Tesla began handing over Model 3 and Model Y to customers during a gala event at its delivery center. In the coming days, more vehicles from the first batch will be delivered, and thousands more will be delivered when another ship arrives in the country.

Read more: https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/tesla-officially-starts-delivery-of-model-y-3-to-thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...