Recently divorced

Hi all , my Thai wife and I have recently divorced and I’m just wondering if I need to register the divorce anywhere either with Thai authorities or Uk embassy etc as there’s a possibility I will marry again in Thailand in the future. Also, I am currently on a 90 day non imm o visa based on the marriage that’s recently ended, I’ve been told by a lawyer that it’s ok to use my current visa until it elapses but do I need to let immigration know about the divorce just to be on the safe side ? 

Thankyou . 

Be extremely carefull & keep your head low. Officially, the day you divorce, you are no longer covered by your "previous" extension based on marriage. Unless you immediately, same day, apply for retirement extension or some other visa extension you are officially on overstay.  I'm sure Ubon Joe will be along shortly to confirm.

• Thumbs Up 2

1.  If you didn't register the marriage anywhere else other than Thailand, there's no need to get an embassy involved.

2.  Hopefully, you have 800,000 Baht because you can then change your visa to a Retirement Visa straightaway. 

3.  As the lawyer said you can stay in Thailand until your visa expires. If you choose to do that, there's no need to tell Immigration about the divorce as you'll be leaving the country.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, killblues said:

I’ve been told by a lawyer that it’s ok to use my current visa until it elapses but do I need to let immigration know about the divorce just to be on the safe side ? 

You are totally able to stay IN thailand on that 90 day entry stamp from the Non-O visa whether you are divorced or not. Even if the reason you got the visa itself changes you are allowed to stay until the entry stamp from it runs out.

Believe it or not, many people who know they're going to get divorced often run to the thai consulate in Savannakhet BEFORE they do and get a year-long, multi-entry Non-O visa based on marriage to a thai (because when they applied for the visa they were still married) and then come back get the 90 day entry stamp, get divorced and bounce out and back every 90 days for the rest of the year because as I said even if the reason you got the visa changes you are entitled to the entries that visa affords you.

NOW if your visa has a notation saying it was issued based on marriage to thai you won't be able to use it to get any other long term extension inside the country (because the first yearly extension you get from a visa has to be for the reason you got the visa, in your case marriage to a thai)
IF you do have thai children though you could get a 60 day visit thai family extension for 1900baht at the immigration office from that 90 day stamp without too much problem, but if not you're pretty much done when this 90 days is up and you'd need to bounce out and back to get a visa exempt entry or go to a thai consulate and get a tourist visa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

im also divorced. I used an agency to stay on my non-o marriage extension. My ex-wife and i didnt go to the immigration and cancelled my non-o. 

later i left the country after covid. I came back with a non-b visa because im working. went to the changwattana IO for my new non-b extension. Everything was ok TILL officer noticed my old non-o without cancelling it getting a new non-b. Immediately she asked me my wife's Id and our marriage certificate. I was s hitting myself. i thought game over. 

then i told her i dont have with them. she asked me if i have copy of them. luckily i had in my phone. went to copy shop. she took all the copies then i asked her if i need them again for my next extension she said no she wanted them to CONNECT and LINK my new visa. she also told me actually SHE should be with me here but she said its ok. i trully believe she let me go because i was talking to her in thai and very nicely because she said i look like a good man. simply she just let me go... i was lucky no question.

so what ever you do from now on they will ask about your ex non-o marriage visa. because you didnt cancelled it visa immigration. i hope you will be lucky as i was. If you will marry again that will be a 100% problem for you. they will ask for your divorce papers.. and they will see the date on it and your date on non-o visa... that will be a problem.

i suggest you to leave the country and come back with a TR visa. OR go to immigration and report.

PS: your lawyer is right but he is dead wrong. yes, you can stay but like i said it will create more problems in the future and you might not be lucky as i was. dont listen to him about this

Edited by problemfarang
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

im also divorced. I used an agency to stay on my non-o marriage extension. My ex-wife and i didnt go to the immigration and cancelled my non-o. 

later i left the country after covid. I came back with a non-b visa because im working. went to the changwattana IO for my new non-b extension. Everything was ok TILL officer noticed my old non-o without cancelling it getting a new non-b. Immediately she asked me my wife's Id and our marriage certificate. I was s hitting myself. i thought game over. 

then i told her i dont have with them. she asked me if i have copy of them. luckily i had in my phone. went to copy shop. she took all the copies then i asked her if i need them again for my next extension she said no she wanted them to CONNECT and LINK my new visa. she also told me actually SHE should be with me here but she said its ok. i trully believe she let me go because i was talking to her in thai and very nicely because she said i look like a good man. simply she just let me go... i was lucky no question.

so what ever you do from now on they will ask about your ex non-o marriage visa. because you didnt cancelled it visa immigration. i hope you will be lucky as i was. If you will marry again that will be a 100% problem for you. they will ask for your divorce papers.. and they will see the date on it and your date on non-o visa... that will be a problem.

i suggest you to leave the country and come back with a TR visa. OR go to immigration and report.

PS: your lawyer is right but he is dead wrong. yes, you can stay but like i said it will create more problems in the future and you might not be lucky as i was. dont listen to him about this

A lucky escape mate , thanks for sharing that. I was told that as I’m on the 90 day and not an extension that it would be ok but if anyone else on here can clarify this it would be a great help ????????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, killblues said:

A lucky escape mate , thanks for sharing that. I was told that as I’m on the 90 day and not an extension that it would be ok but if anyone else on here can clarify this it would be a great help ????????

VISA is valid until end date no matter what..

Extension is no longer valid if reason is changed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, BritManToo said:

VISA is valid until end date no matter what..

Extension is no longer valid if reason is changed.

14 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Maybe @ubonjoe should give his opinion on that one, reckon he'll disagree with most.

@BritManToo is perfectly correct.

A Non O visa issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate and the permission of stay from such an entry cannot be 'cancelled' by Immigration in the case of divorce.
However, if you're on a 1-year extension of stay based on a Thai spouse, then the reason for the extension ends on the date of divorce and the extension is immediately null and void.

Only in the case where a Thai spouse deceases is a 1-year extension based on Thai spouse allowed to run its course.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Technically valid but no longer legal and can put the OP in a world of hurt if discovered by an anonymous (ex) tip.

Sorry. 

You do not know what you are talking about..

I specifically mentioned a ME No O visa valid for one year.

Many folk obtain these at eg Savannakhet.

They remain valid after divorce till the date of expiry. 

You are confused with what occurs after divorce if someone is on annual extensions from a non O based on marriage. 

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm addition a ME Non O visa valid for one year is still valid after divorce. 

5 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Technically valid but no longer legal and can put the OP in a world of hurt if discovered by an anonymous (ex) tip.

@DrJack54 is perfectly correct.

Non Imm O visas obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate are still perfectly valid and legal even after divorce, until the visa's expiry date.
Nothing to do with Immigration, although you obviously wouldn't be permitted to apply for a 60-day extension.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sorry. 

You do not know what you are talking about..

I specifically mentioned a ME No O visa valid for one year.

Many folk obtain these at eg Savannakhet.

They remain valid after divorce till the date of expiry. 

You are confused with what occurs after divorce if someone is on annual extensions from a non O based on marriage. 

18 hours ago, Liquorice said:

@DrJack54 is perfectly correct.

Non Imm O visas obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate are still perfectly valid and legal even after divorce, until the visa's expiry date.
Nothing to do with Immigration, although you obviously wouldn't be permitted to apply for a 60-day extension.

To obtain any visa from an embassy or consulate you must present a reason - when the reason becomes invalid, so does the visa (students that don't study, retirees that work, married persons whom are no longer married, tourists that get a job).

I would bet dollars to donuts that if his ex took the divorce papers down to the local IO they would soon pay him a visit.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

To obtain any visa from an embassy or consulate you must present a reason - when the reason becomes invalid, so does the visa (students that don't study, retirees that work, married persons whom are no longer married, tourists that get a job).

I would bet dollars to donuts that if his ex took the divorce papers down to the local IO they would soon pay him a visit.

Please cease.  Your posts are incorrect.

The ME Non O based on marriage would remain valid for it's duration.

It is visa valid for 12 months.

As mentioned previously that is very different to an extension from a non O marriage.

When divorce occurs that extension is invalid.

One option for those in that situation is to change reason to based on retirement.

Of course not an option for those under 50. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, Tod Daniels said:

You are totally able to stay IN thailand on that 90 day entry stamp from the Non-O visa whether you are divorced or not. Even if the reason you got the visa itself changes you are allowed to stay until the entry stamp from it runs out.

That's funny. Because I have been told the exact opposite a few years back by Tod Daniels in one of those Facebook forums that he moderates. To be fair I am not sure if it was you or that other mate of Tod Daniels who quickly proclaims that the topic is closed for discussion once someone else has another opinion. 

In any case the immigration now wants a letter from your spouse confirming that you are still married and living together. I would fire that "lawyer" of his as he is 100% INCORRECT

Edited by Celsius

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

In any case the immigration now wants a letter from your spouse confirming that you are still married and living together

When is that letter requested.

You quoted a post concerning a 90 day stamp from a non O visa. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When is that letter requested.

You quoted a post concerning a 90 day stamp from a non O visa. 

I am under the impression that just like work permit, you are supposed to surrender your visa after the divorce. Of course, probably no one does it, but legally that is the fact.

The letter is requested when you apply for a non-o visa. So even if you are legally married and your wife says she doesn't want you back, your visa will be refused. 

19 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Visas issued by Thai Embassies are nothing to do with internal Thai Immigration, other than your status after entry (Non Immigrant/Tourist).
Thai Embassies/Consulates are regulated by Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and only they have the authority to cancel a visa.

You don't appear to understand the difference between the validity of a visa issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate, and the validity of the period of stay from an extension issued by local internal Immigration offices.

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

The letter is requested when you apply for a non-o visa. So even if you are legally married and your wife says she doesn't want you back, your visa will be refused. 

I think you're confusing applying for a Non O visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, where some request a letter from your spouse in support of your application, with an application at local Immigration offices where your spouse must attend any application.