Massive shortage of Rh Negative blood in Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Phuket- Donate your blood, save more lives together (Massive shortage of Rh Negative Blood)

Thai Phuket Immigration Bureau, together with the Vachira Hospital, would like to invite all foreign residents and expats to donate your blood.

Date: 22nd December 2022
Venue: 1st floor at Central Floresta
Time: 10:30 AM – 04:00 PM

Due to the short supply of Rh negative blood from increasing numbers of foreigners who suffer from accidents in Phuket.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/12/16/massive-shortage-of-rh-negative-blood-in-phuket/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-12-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

39 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

What they do not say, until too late, is that they will not take blood from old fahrtz like me.

I regularly gave blood here in Thailand until they stopped accepting when I reached 70 years old.

Some hospitals stop accepting donations when you reach 60.

The answer is to lie about your age!  I regularly gave blood when I lived in Luang Prabang, where the upper age limit for donations was 55 years old.  I was never asked to show my passport, but was asked for my date of birth, which I made up on the spot.

On one occasion, the nurse looked confused and told me that according to her records, I was now a year younger than my previous occasion....  but she smiled and happily accepted my donation!

blood.thumb.jpg.a37ac6f3df0a6eb5122fbeeb02d123f0.jpg

33 minutes ago, simon43 said:

The answer is to lie about your age!  I regularly gave blood when I lived in Luang Prabang, where the upper age limit for donations was 55 years old.  I was never asked to show my passport, but was asked for my date of birth, which I made up on the spot.

On one occasion, the nurse looked confused and told me that according to her records, I was now a year younger than my previous occasion....  but she smiled and happily accepted my donation!

blood.thumb.jpg.a37ac6f3df0a6eb5122fbeeb02d123f0.jpg

Won't work here in Thailand.  Id required and full record kept in computer, Vachira is also now taking a photograph everytime you make a donation. 

Also I note in one of your old posts you stated a former wife/GF gave you oral herpies.  That condition would preclude you from donating.  Do you also lie about your health on your donation form?

• Like 1

UNTIL Thailand adopts best practice in Blood donations there will ALWAYS  be shortages . Their rules are archaic ruled by the Red CVross which is so set in its ways it puts people off. Being O Neg is rare here, but they refuseaccpet my blood, why I am over 70. If I die because they have no blood, my relatives will SUE !!

Foreignors need to give blood?

Could they bee more specific for eg there no point in all the African or Chinese tourists rushing to donate as its more than likely their blood wont fit the qualifying standard / type.

Apparently the Basque region of Spain is where most of this blood is found.

3 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

They should introduce some kind of compensation in a shortage like this. Just a free Chang or some vouchers you could use at the local massage place. 

Not a bad idea. My hometown used to give a free beer in the 60's to blood donors. At the time it held the Guinness book of records highest beer consumption of any town in the world.

Edited by ozimoron