Thai immigration arrest foreign language teacher - she's blacklisted from Thailand for 5 years

webfact

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just out of curiosity what language was she

teaching ? my guess is English not Swahili, should pay her to stay, going by the way Thai English teachers here are mostly useless. 

They don't speak Swahili in Uganda, they speak Bantu, Central Sudanic, and Nilotic

Edited by Photoguy21

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just out of curiosity what language was she

teaching ? my guess is English not Swahili, should pay her to stay, going by the way Thai English teachers here are mostly useless. 

You clearly have no idea do you lol.  Put your foot right in it hahaha!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbkk said:

It's a whole racket that's been going on for years now. I personally knew of 5 Africans that were paid 18,000 baht a month but each of their work contracts with the schools were for 28,000 baht a month.  

Wouldn't surprise me. 

OT I was told that the Thai army 100,000 annual conscripts are paid 9,000 a month but many are allegedly sent back home with no pay and told to report every 3 months to register attendance. Your math is probably better than mine????

Probably just a rumour.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Looking at this chart, all the fake “ teachers” saying they are helping need to look in the mirror.   It’s an absolute sh…. show.   Oh, my students are great at English!  Quit lying to yourself and buy a new backpack! 

2BA0A323-965B-44AE-AA96-C2F5B297E004.jpeg

Wow the US is not even listed....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

In Asia an English "Teacher" can come from anywhere.  A few years ago I had a conversation with a Russian woman who was teaching English at private school in Seoul, South Korea.  She had an accent that was very noticeable but her grammar was excellent. Also, she was blonde, mid 30's and very attractive. I also saw a guy from somewhere in Eastern Europe who wos teaching English to kids at a Hagwon(a prep academy).  This guy had no business teaching anything.  His only qualification that I noticed was that he was married to a Korean woman. 

So an English "Teacher" from Uganda in LOS does not seem far fetched to me.  

Have you ever heard the English teachers from the North of England? ????

The best ones come with English subtitles. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

In Asia an English "Teacher" can come from anywhere.  A few years ago I had a conversation with a Russian woman who was teaching English at private school in Seoul, South Korea.  She had an accent that was very noticeable but her grammar was excellent. Also, she was blonde, mid 30's and very attractive. I also saw a guy from somewhere in Eastern Europe who wos teaching English to kids at a Hagwon(a prep academy).  This guy had no business teaching anything.  His only qualification that I noticed was that he was married to a Korean woman. 

So an English "Teacher" from Uganda in LOS does not seem far fetched to me.  

I knew a South African who came from a rural district in the Eastern Cape and it was a struggle to understand him. It amused me to think what the little kids he taught would sound like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Probably just a rumour.

To be filed in the fake news folder along with the news this morning that all 106 crew members are safe after the sinking of the RTNS and being brain dead isn't the same as dead.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Amazing how many posters here have no clue!

Uganda is not Cameroon nor Nigeria, it's nowhere near Zululand.

As a former English colony, the official language is English. 

The main concern should be that Thais may have an English accent resembling that of IdI Amin.

That's okay. Many people speaking English have a strong accent, even those whose origins are entirely within the UK.

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

My personal observation is Thai English teachers have a remarkable understanding of English grammar - much better than most native speakers. Their spoken, unfortunately, is not good at all.

Correct, but grammar skills don't make for a good teacher to teach spoken English - and herein lies the problem, many Thai students, taught by non-native speakers have reasonable grammar skills but can't put more than 2 words together in a sentence. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pathum Thani immigration north of the Thai capital Bangkok detained a 40 year old Ugandan who was given the assumed name of "Oo", as is her right

Since when did we stop naming and shaming foreigners? I thought that right was reserved for the master race.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, proton said:

Surprised blacklisted is still allowed ???? especially in cases like this

Non woke l guess in Thailand that's bonus ++ most of Asia not swallowing  latest cult West ideology that's going on @ all levels of Governments  military our place of work identify gender diffirence Male + female our politicians cant answer simple biological question inclusive of Medical fraternity ! Being born white its your fault ur racist or whatever like in US UK Australia NZ EU + + its all about devide us and Conquer if only left and right realised we got more on common with each other than those who are Governing us 

From Wikipedia 

Origins of the term[edit]

The English dramatist Philip Massinger used the phrase "black list" in his 1639 tragedy The Unnatural Combat.[2]

After the restoration of the English monarchy brought Charles II of England to the throne in 1660, a list of regicides named those to be punished for the execution of his father.[3] The state papers of Charles II say "If any innocent soul be found in this black list, let him not be offended at me, but consider whether some mistaken principle or interest may not have misled him to vote".[4] In a 1676 history of the events leading up to the Restoration, James Heath (a supporter of Charles II) alleged that Parliament had passed an Act requiring the sale of estates, "And into this black list the Earl of Derby was now put, and other unfortunate Royalists".[5]

Edward Gibbon wrote in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1776) of Andronicus that "His memory was stored with a black list of the enemies and rivals, who had traduced his merit, opposed his greatness, or insulted his misfortunes".[6]

Hmmm….clever move by thai immigration, as Thailand needs less english(assuming this was what she was teaching) teachers. Well done immigration …. damn pesky falang overstayers?( this of course wouldnt have happened if they werent here? )

7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A few years back around where I live they only employed people from The Cameroon as English teachers.

Got to be better than the English teacher I met in Chiang Mai......he was from Birmingham, even I couldn't understand him.

• Like 2