Immigration officer stamped wrong date into the visa

Hello everybody,

I have a multiple entry non o-visa based on marriage, valid for 1 year. Normally I am granted 90 days stay each time I enter the country.  This time I entered Thailand from Laos through a very small border in Uttaradit, where rarely a Falang is seen. First, the friendly immigration officer stamped a maximum stay of 30 days in my passport. Fortunately, I checked and made her aware of the error. I said I have a visa and should get 90 days. Then she looked at my non o year visa and stamped me the date in the passport until which the visa is valid. This is valid until July 15, 2023, which means she granted me a stay of 7 months! I told her that this was wrong and I would only get 90 days, but she did not understand this, asked her supervisor, who agreed with her.   I had no time to further discuss and took it because it is not to my disadvantage I think. My question now is whether I can really refer to this stamp and have no consequences to fear,  should I stay in the country for 7 months non-stop or do I have to go to immigration and make them aware of the wrong stamp and let them correct it?

5 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Being devils advocate here, but if the stamp is for 7 months and in the database, presumably, then when this person leaves Thailand at say Bangkok airport, how would the IO at the airport know a mistake has been made?

The io at airport possibly would not even notice. 

Thinking he would be stamped out without issue.

However the stamp is incorrect and needs to be fixed. 

The OP states that it's not to his disadvantage however it is and he should have pressed the case with immigration. 

33 minutes ago, ukrules said:

If immigration make a mistake then believe it or not it is your responsibility to get it corrected.

So get it corrected or you will be on overstay by then and deported and banned from returning.

I had the same problem, wrong stamp date at Bangkok airport. Live in Phuket. Was told at Immigration that i had to go back to immigration at Bangkok airport to have it corrected!! 

1 hour ago, snairb said:

just checked my entry shows arrived nov 24ty until 16 Aug 2023 on my marriage extension looks like i too have a problem /(arrived swampy)

You have a ME Non O marriage? 

Should be till Feb 22.

Edited by DrJack54

6 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Being devils advocate here, but if the stamp is for 7 months and in the database, presumably, then when this person leaves Thailand at say Bangkok airport, how would the IO at the airport know a mistake has been made?

they are checking the visa you are on and the dates. so a normal working IO will see the problem in 2 minutes. its really easy to see it.

but if a lazy one and just checking the stamps, he may let it go. 

you have 2 options:

1) this is the best option and really waht you need to do: go to the immigration in your area and tell them you just noticed this. and ask them to fix it. they will.

2) stay for 7 months and exit from the same place you entered. 

i strongly suggest you go to the immigration office and fix it or do what they suggest. There is a very very little chance they wil ltell you to go to the IO where you entered and get them fix it. if this comes up ask immigration to write a note or something explaining the situation. 

10 hours ago, problemfarang said:

There is a very very little chance they wil ltell you to go to the IO where you entered and get them fix it.

This is incorrect advice. In most cases that have been reported here someone with an incorrect date stamp is told that the must return to the immigration office (usually the airport) where they got the wrong stamp. Occasionally officers may allow the correction to be made where you report the mistake, CW has been known to allow this.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

I went to Jomtein IO to make a correction when I found out the "until" date was wrong.

The front desk sent me to desk 8 where the lady looked up my record on the system, crossed out the wrong date and stamped a correct one next to it. All done in minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, problemfarang said:

you have 2 options:

1) this is the best option and really waht you need to do: go to the immigration in your area and tell them you just noticed this. and ask them to fix it. they will.

2) stay for 7 months and exit from the same place you entered. 

Seems to me that your option #2 isn't wise at all given the chance the OP is held responsible for the IO's mistake.  But also am wondering if a third option (as mentioned by another poster) wouldn't be fairly safe:  Just treat it as if 90 days was given and simply do the regular border bounce within that time limit (trusting that the next immigration officer upon re-entry will not make the same mistake). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm… yes get it corrected. I was given an incorrect visa finish date by immigration in Thailand and had to pay a 1 month overstay fine when i departed. I get the impression its almost like they dont want us falangs a.k.a “aliens” here at all( except for our money of course). But TIT unfortunately

• Like 2

Check all stamps, dates and all your papers before you leave immigration counter. ????????
I do and I don't care if I stay there for a few more moments, because going back for correcting an error is a real hassle and a missing paper is not returnable. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Check all stamps, dates and all your papers before you leave immigration counter. ????????

From the OP......

"I told her that this was wrong and I would only get 90 days, but she did not understand this, asked her supervisor, who agreed with her."

Bit unfortunate that the superior not pick up the mistake but instead backed up the initial io.

The OP should have stood his ground until it was fixed. 

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

ukrules is correct.

You could be placed on overstay if you just remain in Thailand till the date indicated by the stamp. 

You need to go to immigration office and have the error corrected. 

I had much the same problem arriving at Swampy, I took the passport to Key Visa and was told the date would have to be changed at immigration. The guy at Key Visa said he would take my passport to immigration and it would cost me 1000Bt.

I told him I would get it corrected at Swampy as I could pass there on my way to Bangkok,

He told me I had better not as there "could be problems" his exact words.

32 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I told him I would get it corrected at Swampy as I could pass there on my way to Bangkok,

He told me I had better not as there "could be problems" his exact words.

My only experience was years ago at Don Muang and there was no problem.  But indeed getting to immigration can be an issue without being booked on a flight these days.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kildonan said:

I had the same problem, wrong stamp date at Bangkok airport. Live in Phuket. Was told at Immigration that i had to go back to immigration at Bangkok airport to have it corrected!! 

Me too. Told in Udon to go back to Nong Khai border to get the wrong date corrected.

18 hours ago, Kildonan said:

Four or five years ago Immigration at the Ban Hat Lek border crossing put in the wrong entrance date.  I didn't notice it until I returned to Pattaya.  I went to immigration in Jomtien and they told me I would have to return to the border to get it corrected.  Note that I always approach Immigration officers politely, greet them with a sawatee krup and a wai, and leave them with a khawp khoon krup.  After a little respectful pleading and asking if there was anything else I could do and the immigration officer told me that she could fix it for 250 Bt.  I couldn't grab my wallet fast enough.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

I do and I don't care if I stay there for a few more moments, because going back for correcting an error is a real hassle and a missing paper is not returnable. 

I have always had the correct date worked out in my head beforehand and check immediately after  entry that it is correct. Over the years I never received an incorrect stamp until just one time, rushing to catch a train, I didnt check it after entering at Nong Khai. And S o d' s law, that was the only time the date stamp was wrong...555.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

From the OP......

"I told her that this was wrong and I would only get 90 days, but she did not understand this, asked her supervisor, who agreed with her."

Bit unfortunate that the superior not pick up the mistake but instead backed up the initial io.

The OP should have stood his ground until it was fixed. 

Whilst you are correct, if a supervisor IO tells you something its difficult to argue the point?

Just shows immigration is not accountable for their mistakes?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Whilst you are correct, if a supervisor IO tells you something its difficult to argue the point?

Just shows immigration is not accountable for their mistakes?

Bit uninterested in this thread.

The OP has only one post in history and that was 20 hours ago when he started the thread. 

If he had been involved in the thread I would have asked if he had done a previous exit/reenter as required by a ME Non O.

He could have shown that to the io.

Personally I would not have left until the error was fixed. 

Sometimes other immigration offices insist that you return to where the stamp was issue.

Not always as posts in the thread have indicated.