Do You Sometimes Enjoy Being the “Token White Guy” in Asia? Do You Charge Money for Your Services?

GammaGlobulin

18 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

You are absolutely in love with yourself. Did you see how many times you used "I" above? None of your post makes any sense. Just looking to tell everyone how great you are I guess.

"I have only one white friend"... why am I not surprised and he's on the other side of the world.

Yes. But it was not always this way. 

In the past, he taught in China for a spell, until TianAnMen. 

TianAnMen freaked him out. He left Asia never to return. He wrote a book about his experiences, a fine collection of essays. 

Nowadays, it's only me, the last one standing, the Last White Mohican in Asia... 

Alas... 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

I'm not white, but easily pass for it, the same way many farangs can't tell the difference between the different Thais and their ancestral origins. Indeed, out here in Issan one tends to get a lot of attn being the token farang, given there's not many of us around here. As OP stated we often get dragged into photo ops, and as teachers we annoyingly get called to join special events, even if we won't really be participating, as of course we must be there for the photos. As OP stated about the restaurant, our presence adds credence to the value of whatever it is we're involved in, or at least photographed with, as if to say oh wow look, this is of international standard, I suppose. 

19 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Oreo cookies are dark on the outside, white on the inside

oreo.jpg

There is a Chinese idiom which means: There is nothing that does not exist in China. I have enjoyed Oreo knockoffs which have a white cookie on the outside and dark chocolate on the inside.

And, that's the way I like them.

12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The problem with your generation is that many of you haven't noticed that is not the mid 20th century anymore. We are entering 2023 in less than 2 weeks and nobody wants a photo with a white guy or a black guy just because of their skin colour.

You are only able to naively say such a thing because you have never tasted brown sugar. 

Brown sugar, as everybody knows, is not the same. 

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have been here in Asia a very long time, practically since before most of you were born.

I don't think you understand the audience in this forum. MOST of us are old mongerers.

I am the only pale face in a school where I teach, so yeah, I was chosen due to my color and I get paid well for what I do.

• Like 1

TBH , i never think about being a white guy , neither do i think about others in any shade . I never looked in the mirror thinking , damn i am a white guy . Neither did i ever looked at others thinking she is black , green , yellow or any other color . I do see the darker or lighter color , like he/she is African , he/she is Asian , or European , but i never think like in colors. Yes the background does do something , like a EU person is different then somebody from Asia or Africa , but not at all in the way you think . I personally think the simple way you think is just racist .

28 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I don't think you understand the audience in this forum. MOST of us are old mongerers.

I am the only pale face in a school where I teach, so yeah, I was chosen due to my color and I get paid well for what I do.

Haha!

I think it is YOU that does not understand that I don't care about the audience in this forum!

As for your calling yourself a "pale face", I am just pleased that you picked up on the James Fenimore Cooper allusion, because I was not sure you had it in you to do so...

image.jpeg.250f709519cac3341e2229ae9db59568.jpeg

25 minutes ago, sezze said:

TBH , i never think about being a white guy , neither do i think about others in any shade . I never looked in the mirror thinking , damn i am a white guy . Neither did i ever looked at others thinking she is black , green , yellow or any other color . I do see the darker or lighter color , like he/she is African , he/she is Asian , or European , but i never think like in colors. Yes the background does do something , like a EU person is different then somebody from Asia or Africa , but not at all in the way you think . I personally think the simple way you think is just racist .

But then, TBH, are you really being honest with yourself? 

I don't know about token honky, but being the 'rich single' guy at bar/club sure doesn't hurt your prospects of leaving with some fine company.

We are all millionaires after all, and millionaires in any country don't have to P4P, if having any intelligence at all.  Being handsome doesn't hurt either.

Edited by KhunLA

59 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

The problem with your's is that hypocritical posturing has been made law.

Yeah keep deluding yourself that you are the Big Bwana and the natives are queuing to take a photo with you..

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

But then, TBH, are you really being honest with yourself? 

yes , being honest to myself , i never ever think in the morning evening or any other time , thank god i am xxx color . I never even thought about anybody thinking like that . I am on internet and im drinking some beer so i can talk open ... i am racist in many of peoples believes here in Belgium . I do however never ever come close to your vision of the world . I never think bad about people based on color . Color is where you born , and your parents , more sun=darker . I do not think bad about that .I really mean when i say , your view on the world is very racist . Never i would even mildly think , oh i look in the mirror and say , thank god i am white ... that is a disgrace to me and i really cannot understand such kind of thinking .

47 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Furthermore, I think you do not understand why I come to this forum.

I come here simply because there are a few here who seem to have a wickedly dry and biting sense of humor, well written.

Sometimes I come here to be derided.

If I were not derided, often enough, I would leave this forum.

I love to be mocked and ridiculed without mercy.

This is the main reason I am here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been both visiting and living in Thailand since the early '90's. Also visited several other Asian countries. Including quite a few Philippine destinations.  Perhaps it's because I tend to stay mainly in tourist areas, but even when I have ventured further afield I can't recall ever feeling like the 'token' white guy.

Had a few double takes. But that's to be expected. Friendly people saying hello or asking where I am from.

Never been asked to pose for photos. Maybe they can surmise that I would charge them. ????

Rural China might be a different kettle of fish. But I haven't been there.

26 minutes ago, sezze said:

yes , being honest to myself , i never ever think in the morning evening or any other time , thank god i am xxx color . I never even thought about anybody thinking like that . I am on internet and im drinking some beer so i can talk open ... i am racist in many of peoples believes here in Belgium . I do however never ever come close to your vision of the world . I never think bad about people based on color . Color is where you born , and your parents , more sun=darker . I do not think bad about that .I really mean when i say , your view on the world is very racist . Never i would even mildly think , oh i look in the mirror and say , thank god i am white ... that is a disgrace to me and i really cannot understand such kind of thinking .

I agree with you that skin color makes no difference to me, simply because I am better than that.

And, also because, I prefer to live in a place where skin color is all the same color, except mine.

However, if I were not white, like Jasmine Rice, and if my skin were black, for example, then I still would not mind being a Token Black Man.

And, ALSO, I am fairly thick-skinned.

So, I don't mind being called a token anything.

Culture, on the other hand, is important to me.

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I agree with you that skin color makes no difference to me, simply because I am better than that.

And, also because, I prefer to live in a place where skin color is all the same color, except mine.

However, if I were not white, like Jasmine Rice, and if my skin were black, for example, then I still would not mind being a Token Black Man.

And, ALSO, I am fairly thick-skinned.

So, I don't mind being called a token anything.

Culture, on the other hand, is important to me.

No , i know as a white ( aka farang) i am entitled to some priviledges , but i also pay more then a Thai person . Imho , that is my benefit ... i am entitled to pay extra for everything . I do not mind , i do my thing and as long as they act normal to me i am fine . I do understand i am the foreigner in their country and i do not speak their language perfectly .

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Haha!

I think it is YOU that does not understand that I don't care about the audience in this forum!

As for your calling yourself a "pale face", I am just pleased that you picked up on the James Fenimore Cooper allusion, because I was not sure you had it in you to do so...

image.jpeg.250f709519cac3341e2229ae9db59568.jpeg

I called you on a mistaken sentence. If you don't care, then how can we ever consider anything you post as true? Or do you just post nonsense to get a reaction?

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There is a Chinese idiom which means: There is nothing that does not exist in China. I have enjoyed Oreo knockoffs which have a white cookie on the outside and dark chocolate on the inside.

And, that's the way I like them.

Knockoffs in China? Who knows what is in 'em.

As Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell sang:

Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing (baby)

Edited by jerrymahoney