Passport went through the washing machine

1 hour ago, Chigur said:

OP, as you will be dealing with Thai Imm on your way out suggest you contact Chaengwattana asap to have them look at your PP and determine if it's not too damaged to be IDed in order to retrieve your data from their system.

You might want to call them and ask first what to do. I called one of these numbers (don't remember which) few months ago and was helped in excellent English:

Phone: 02-1419889 Hotline: 1178

Can't hurt to ask but would suggest OP would find Thai Immigration on departure least of his worries. First hurdle is airline accepting his passport at checkin - they are <deleted> scared of being liable for repatriation costs in case of refused entry at destination. Final hurdle is being permitted entry at destination (if home country, then no problem). If third country then who knows.

• Like 2

I had a similar issue in around 2012 on a tourist visit.

Mine was short swim in a chlorine pool - NOT a washing machine prolonged exposed cycle to cleaning agents, and severe agitation in that solution like your was!

I was told by the Aussie embassy (face to face meeting and examination of the passport) to renew it via their diplomatic courier service (I had a 60 day tourist visa issued in Oz) as the holographic and other data stuff embedded in the ID pages were somewhat corrupted (they had difficulty reading it and it kept dropping out when being read) and if I arrive back in Sydney with this passport and it fails to 'read' entirely by the auto-machine then hand inspected and hand-machine scanned by the Immigration officer I could find myself in a sticky situation ... Even though I am an Aussie citizen and had other Aussie photo ID on me!

I'd contact the Brit embassy, take your passport there, and have them check it to see if its truly corrupted.

Ask your embassy if a temporary passport is an option. At the German embassy, there is such an option (a green vorläufiger Reisepass). It's a 1-year machine-readable (but not biometric) passport and it is available for collection within a few days. The passport is for urgent travel and is mainly for those who need to travel whilst waiting for the 10 year one.

I can imagine the UK might also have this kind of passport.  

6 hours ago, Onerak said:

Call your boss and take two more weeks holiday claiming you're sick with nasty Thai virus and enjoy Thailand while you wait for your new passport to arrive. Think of it as a blessing in disguise. ????

Or just tell them the truth.  Most employers would be understanding enough, hopefully. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

He will need longer than that, current processing time is about 6 weeks - BUT, only just improved from 11/13 weeks and it looks strikes in the UK might impact on time scales.

The fallback is an Emergency Travel Document from the British embassy  -  but I suspect that they will be in holiday for most of the rest of the year. Bangkok today would be my advice - although I also suspect that he will have no problem leaving the country with the damaged passport.

I am intrigued to see how the passport renewal (replacement) will pan out......if the OP leaves on the 3rd of January he will not be here to collect the new passport.

May be an image of text that says "British Embassy Bangkok WE ARE CLOSED 26-27 December 2022 Christmas and Boxing Day CONTACT US For urgent consular support +66 (0) 2 305 8333. UK in Thailand"

Funny, I thought Christmas and boxing day was 25th, & 26th. ......:crazy:.Yes, I am being facetious, I know Christmas is on a Sunday this year.

44 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Ask your embassy if a temporary passport is an option. At the German embassy, there is such an option (a green vorläufiger Reisepass). It's a 1-year machine-readable (but not biometric) passport and it is available for collection within a few days. The passport is for urgent travel and is mainly for those who need to travel whilst waiting for the 10 year one.

I can imagine the UK might also have this kind of passport.  

Read the posts above......

Had a similar problem many years ago. Went to the embassy and they photocopied the data page and banged a stamp on it and wrote that it was a copy of the true original document, or words to that effect. There wasn't any charge for that. Never got challenged over the passport, so never had to pull out the letter. The main bits are the machine readable code along the bottom wide edge. If they're not damaged and can still be read, along with your stamps (which you said were okay) then you're probably ok. 

Contact your embassy and ask the officers what you or they can do to leave the country in the case of a damaged passport.

I.e.; if I had lost or damaged my passport I would go to the  German embassy. You must show them a legalized document of your passport and you immediately would receive a replacement for flying  at home.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Longbow212 said:

Can anyone offer advice on how to speed the process up and an overview of the process

The only way I can think of it to buy a ticket back home, apply for new passport on the first day you arrive (many countries only need a couple of days to issue a new one), and then fly off to the destination where you would need to go for work anyway, and from there to Thailand if you need to.

If you live in Thailand, then entering visa exempt 45 days isn't really the right way. But at the same time - you don't need to worry about any Thai visa or extension transfers as you have none. For other countries, if you have any visas, you'll of course need to get them reissued by that countries' embassies or consulates, as once damaged, it's not common to be able to get it reissued without applying new one.

It'll be a bit expensive lesson (depending what your original citizenship is), but probably the fastest way to get this resolved.

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Who does laundry on day one <deleted>?

You've been in Thailand too long! In the west your laundry doesn't get done by itself, you actually have to do it.

In Thailand the missus automatically does it so I always fly in with a bag full of dirty clothes. I will even ship her dirty clothes if I'm in the west for an extended period.