Swedish tourist arrested for wandering on Pattaya Beach with a loaded gun and crystal meth

webfact

29 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

You are right it looks fake.The frame even looks like it's made out of some sort of pot metal too under the flaking gold paint.It looks like a toy that's been modified to fire bullets or maybe just made so it looks like it can fire bullets.I  wouldn't like to try to fire it [if it could]

I think it was made to look like it could fire bullets and maybe it can, if the firing pin hits with enough force to ignite the primer which is unlikely without putting in a full strength mainspring.  But the pressure of even a .380 round would likely be too much for the pot metal of the slide and the barrel. So it might blow up. I have seen the results of a Glock that blew up in the hand of a visiting US competition shooter visiting Thailand.  He borrowed the gun from a Thai shooter who must have made some modifications resulting in a round firing not fully in the chamber which caused pressure to be diverted into the barrel and slide instead of propelling the bullet down the barrel. The barrel, slide and frame were destroyed and the visiting shooter was lucky to get away with just some nasty cuts to his hands and arms. 

I found some discussion online about converting this type of pistol and one American said he did it out of curiosity but he reloaded a .380 cartridge case with much less powder than normal and fitted a 31 grain .25 caliber projectile on it.  .380 projectiles are normally about 90 grains.  So it was about a third of the normal weight. This should theoretically allow to get the same muzzle velocity as a regular .380 cartridge with a third of the pressure. 

In some places, e.g. South Africa, these guns can be loaded with tear gas or pepper spray cartridges for self defence but obviously not in Thailand where civilian use of even pepper spray is illegal. You can even get an adapter to put on the end of the barrel to shoot rubber bullets, using the pessure that comes down the barrel. 

9 hours ago, cookie1974 said:

most 38 calibre firearms have the option to fit a silencer/suppressor and also it isnt a weapon that can be easily concealed from the the photo its more of of a military sidearm as it obviously is not designed to be hidden under clothing a walther ppk or glock 15 would much more suitable if that was the intention 

Where did you get your info?

No.  "Most .38 caliber, NOT 38 caliber" DO NOT have the option of fitting suppressors to them.  ".38 caliber" includes .380 ACP = 9mm kurz, .38 special, .38 super, .357 magnum, 9mm NATO, and a host of additional calibers all commonly fitting the .38 caliber designation.  NOWHERE near "most" have the option to fit supressors on them.  Supressors and threaded barrels are typically controlled items and require licensing and tax stamps to possess legally.

THAT pistol is a baby version of the Colt Govt., also known as a "Officers Model 1911".  It is, in fact usually carried concealed on the body rather than openly in visible holster.

" Glock 15?" There is NO SUCH THING as a Glock 15.  Neither is there a Glock G15.

PLEASE, PLEASE, don't try to school me on firearms when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

I've been training and competing with firearms for decades in both sporting and defensive firearms, and I own pretty-much everything I've been talking about.  I belong to a gun club and volunteer time to teach firearms safety and marksmanship.  I try my best to dispel all the stupid assumptions that idiots who know nothing about firearms freely declare, but it can be a losing battle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe Thailand should introduce a rule that guys who look like gangsters are not let in by immigration.

Looking at him, that guy is definitely no quality tourist.

????... don't judge by looks neither by backpack, but rather its contents ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

A Swede disguised as a turnip. Forget the tattoo's, his outfit is the real crime. 

The katoey fashion police in the slammer are going to nag him to death the whole time; he'll leave the place in a body bag soon enough.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's almost funny when some people try to pretend that there is not a typical gangster/prisoner look.

Obviously not all of them are full of (prison) tattoos, but many are.

Does that mean that everybody who has tattoos is a gangster: No.

Does that mean that everybody who has no tattoos can't be a gangster: No.

But sometime there is a typical look for some people. And looking at the picture in the original post we can make a survey if that looks like a nice guy or if he looks like trouble. No points for the correct answer.

Or maybe this: If your daughter would come home with this guy, what would be your first idea:

61180-99553b_cf7a0740a1684a6c9d5ae6e755d

RE - If your daughter would come home with this guy, what would be your first idea:

* ???? ...that this kind of liking must come from her mothers side ... 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Even if this is a BB gun incapable of firing the ammo, having the real bullets will mean that he will get the same penalties for all the firearms offences he is charged with as for a real gun. Having the meth won't help him much either. He could be facing several years in prison in Thailand before repatriation to Sweden under the prisioner exchange treaty. The Swedes will then release him after a token couply of months in a Swedish prison. 

The only country that abides strictly by their prisoner exchange treaty and waits for the Thai government to order the release of exchanged prisoners is the UK. That means that prisioners exchanged on lengthy drugs sentences have to serve time in the UK with UK prisoners serving similar sentences, e.g. completely deranged murderers on life sentences who can never be released.  All the other Western countries release the prisoners when they have served the same sentence they would got in that country for the same offences, which is usually immediately. Thailand have never raised any official objection to this practice.  The UK leaves them to finish their Thai sentences or get a Thai Royal pardon.  Many British prisoners have said they would have been better off left in the Thai prison.

'Many British prisoners have said they would have been better off left in the Thai prison.'

Sandra Gregory I think was one that said words to that effect. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

To a normal sane person, getting inked all over is the actions of someone a bit crazy.

This is only your opinion and somewhat 'old fashioned'.

It's very popular, just look around you, have you not noticed?

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Old fashioned... opinions are formed by current fashions are they?  At the age of near 70 I suspect my opinions are based on older life experiences.!

It certainly isn't all around ME!  I have zero heavily tabooed folks around me. I also regard fashion as something weak minded people follow to show their independent thinking,  by copying what their friends do! Its like some folks wearing their pants half way down their ass, it really is, and looks, stupid!

Thanks, you've confirmed you're old fashioned, as much as i thought.

How do you know no one is heavily tattooed around you, do they all walk about naked, another stupid comment.

A reported troll post has been removed, along with a post which is targeting another poster, rather than the topic supposed to be under discussion.

Forum rules are very clear.

You may disagree all you like with anothers view, but you will address the point made, not make comments about the poster, their intellect or anything else in any way demeaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

How do you know no one is heavily tattooed around you, do they all walk about naked, another stupid comment.

Some of them do! 

If they were heavily tatted, I would notice. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2022 at 7:28 AM, Essaybloke said:

Yes, I'd be interested to know by what mechanism they determine backpack is "suspicious", "slightly suspicious", "possibly somewhat suspicious" and "It's a 'Hello Kitty' backpack, no need to search it". ????

They would have been tipped off no doubt.

On 12/26/2022 at 10:15 PM, Dogmatix said:

You can see the Kuzey pistols demonstrated here.  They even have a gold plated one. The magazine he was caught with is obviously a Kuzey magazine and the .380 rounds must more or less fit in it. But it seems to be the 9 round model for the full size Government model Kuzey Colts and thus too long for the Defender model. 

This pistols are very realistic and I am surprised they can be legally imported and sold in Thailand openly on Lazada etc.  If not, illegal, they certainly should be, particularly if they can be easily modified to fire real bullets.  I would guess a modified one could kill someone at close range and could perhaps also serious harm to the shooter, as the barrel and slide not made of materails that can withstand the pressure of even a lower powered .380 cartridge, which is in fact and a shortened  9mm cartridge with a lighter projectile that takes less powder than a regular 9mm but is still utterly lethal.  

I had a look at his 1911A's and it surprised me how well they are made for 2200 baht. To convert this to a firing weapon would need some machining. Barrel locking grooves in the slide and re machining part of the frame. All you would need then is a standard Colt barrel.

Edited by Maejo Man
missed text

I keep looking at the pistol in the news report and I keep thinking, that is not a Colt Defender.  I have made several internet searches and have not found a Colt Defender, Series 90 in a .380 ACP caliber.  Only .45 ACP.    

And the finish on that thing.  Looks like it is chipping off a cheap pot metal base fake copy.   I think it is a fake Colt firearm.  Also the frame it looks like it is stamped with "Made in Turkey", but I am not sure the last word is "Turkey".

321805509_485036487068482_8568361236442343568_n.jpg

Edited by radiochaser

It looks like the guy is a genuine tweaker. He was so paranoid in his mind that he felt the need to carry a gun. Even if it was a BB gun, I guess he thought he could flash some real bullets to give himself heat packing street cred. 

What I don't understand about tweakers is it really doesn't look like they are having a good time, ever. Who wants to be paranoid all the time ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 1:08 AM, FritsSikkink said:

People have no problem labelling everybody with tattoos as criminals, which is ridiculous. Why does this happen?

Maybe because many here have some tattoos that have obviously been done whilst in jail, hence, they are criminals. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, Harsh Jones said:

It looks like the guy is a genuine tweaker. He was so paranoid in his mind that he felt the need to carry a gun. Even if it was a BB gun, I guess he thought he could flash some real bullets to give himself heat packing street cred. 

What I don't understand about tweakers is it really doesn't look like they are having a good time, ever. Who wants to be paranoid all the time ?

I am not paranoid, what makes you say that I am ?