How to extend the shelf life of eggs

Mickeymaus

Perhaps it is helpful for some. Recently I bought (too) many eggs for a very good price - sheer greed... But I cannot eat eggs all the time. The question now was how to extend their shelf life.

The Internet told me to cover their shell with cooking oil. I did it and put them in the fridge. To my surprise even after a long time in the fridge they looked completely fresh and tasted great. 

Take them out of the tray before your hands are oily. Otherwise it might not be easy to take them out. And put them back so that the bigger side (where the air chamber is) points upside again. 

Edited by Mickeymaus

In the USA eggs are washed and the cuticle is removed  replacing with oil or shellac type sealant is used  in Europe to sell fresh eggs you cannot wash them as class a for resale  the egg has a natural cuticle seal  keep points dow as you say and if you refrigerate that will extend the shelf life considerably.

Do not try breaking the eggs and freezing them  as liquid . Eggs are a natural item you should easily obtain another 2  to 3 weeks .   ( In industrial conditions you can get more) yes I am an eggspert LOL

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fresh eggs are usually perfectly OK for about 3 months they do not need refrigeration (unless they are American eggs) actually with refrigeration, they may loose moisture so the addition of oil will reduce this

the European Union (EU) it has been decided that eggs are "best before" 28 days after the day they are laid in the barn. Many countries outside the EU operate with up to four months of shelf life on eggs. In Hong Kong, for example, it has been decided that eggs have a shelf life of 120 days.

https://www.danaeg.com/about-eggs/eggs-and-shelf-life/

eggs can be stored at room temperature without any noticeable decrease in quality or safety for up to four weeks.This means that eggs do not need to be refrigerated unless they are cracked open or the shells have been removed.

The reason that eggs can be stored safely at room temperature is that they have a natural protective barrier called the chalaza.

This barrier helps to keep the egg yolk and egg white together, as well as protect the egg from bacteria.

When eggs are refrigerated, this barrier is broken and the egg becomes more susceptible to contamination.The best way to store eggs is in an egg carton or other container that keeps them from moving around.

However, if you are not going to use the eggs within four weeks, you can extend their shelf life by refrigerating them.

Eggs that have been refrigerated can be safely stored for up to nine months.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Fresh eggs are usually perfectly OK for about 3 months they do not need refrigeration (unless they are American eggs) actually with refrigeration, they may loose moisture so the addition of oil will reduce this. 

"Eggs that have been refrigerated can be safely stored for up to nine months." 

3 months outside and 9 months in the fridge. I wouldn't eat them anymore. Not even boiled. Where did you find the 9 months? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You have misread my quote using and not or. I’m sure that a search for the quoted text will assist 

I really did. But I couldn't find the text with the 9 months on Google. I understood this with the 3 months in some countries. I see this more as a warning for me ⚠️????. But I also know that my grandparents put the eggs in a special liquid (water glass) and they were okay for far more than a year without fridge. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=water+glass+eggs&source=lmns&bih=1607&biw=1121&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjD0abZmpf8AhVgKbcAHWt7D1UQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

images.jpeg

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

You people really need to get a life!

Buy eggs, eat them, end of story.

In my area here in Central Pattaya you pay 80 to 100 Baht and even more for 10 eggs in the meantime. It would not kill me financially. But I don't want to pay this. I don't want to support these huge price increases. So I go to much cheaper sources that are further away. There I buy more so that I don't have to go there often. 

• Haha 1

My grandfather used to keep a large crate in his basement, next to the cream separator. It held several dozen eggs. Whenever it got full (a month or two) they would send it off to the creamery and set a new, empty crate there. In those days eggs were expected to stay fresh at room temperature for several months.  I don't know when they started this process of washing them to remove the  protective coating, but they sure turn bad fast now. Unless they're refrigerated.

12 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

In my area here in Central Pattaya you pay 80 to 100 Baht and even more for 10 eggs in the meantime. It would not kill me financially. But I don't want to pay this. I don't want to support these huge price increases. So I go to much cheaper sources that are further away. There I buy more so that I don't have to go there often. 

I just buy 30 eggs size 0 133.THB 

9 minutes ago, Henricus said:

I just buy 30 eggs size 0 133.THB 

You can get them at this price but not here at my location. My shopping is done at Tops in the Central Mall because it is the closest (almost daily but expensive), then at Friendship (weekly, not everything is cheap) and then at Big C (former Carrefour) and sometimes at Makro (both if my ex girlfriend brings me there with her car).

14 minutes ago, Acharn said:

My grandfather used to keep a large crate in his basement, next to the cream separator. It held several dozen eggs. Whenever it got full (a month or two) they would send it off to the creamery and set a new, empty crate there. In those days eggs were expected to stay fresh at room temperature for several months.  I don't know when they started this process of washing them to remove the  protective coating, but they sure turn bad fast now. Unless they're refrigerated.

Eggs will still stay fresh at room temperature for months. 

the process of washing eggs is purely an American thing as they haven’t bothered to control salmonella and the factory farms are nasty. In Europe it is illegal to sell washed eggs 

https://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/why-the-u-s-washes-and-refrigerates-eggs-why-other-countries-dont

Don't buy your eggs at a supermarket, get them at a Thai food market.  They are probably collected the day before.  I get 30 size 0 (extra large) for 140 Bt at my local market in Pattaya.  They aren't washed, as shown by some of them having chicken excrement on them, and are still fresh after a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.  They would probably last just as well on the counter. 

If the eggs are fresh when you crack them into skillet the yoke will be surrounded by a thick "capsule" of white while a thinner layer of white that surrounds this "capsule" spreads out across the skillet.  It is these two thicknesses of the egg white that gives you the flat disk with a thicker hump surrounding the yoke when the egg is cooked.

If you are determined to store eggs for a long time then: 30+ Ways to Preserve Eggs

Edited by HarrySeaman
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

You can get them at this price but not here at my location. My shopping is done at Tops in the Central Mall because it is the closest (almost daily but expensive), then at Friendship (weekly, not everything is cheap) and then at Big C (former Carrefour) and sometimes at Makro (both if my ex girlfriend brings me there with her car).

Makro is my usual place for them, the price varies but I get size 0 AFIR they were 134 last week

6 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

Don't buy your eggs at a supermarket, get them at a Thai food market.  They are probably collected the day before.

The problem is that there is no date. And sometimes they are in direct sunlight. But for how long already?! You need a source that you can trust. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Don't buy your eggs at a supermarket, get them at a Thai food market.  They are probably collected the day before.  I get 30 size 0 (extra large) for 140 Bt at my local market in Pattaya.  They aren't washed, as shown by some of them having chicken excrement on them, and are still fresh after a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.  They would probably last just as well on the counter. 

If the eggs are fresh when you crack them into skillet the yoke will be surrounded by a thick "capsule" of white while a thinner layer of white that surrounds this "capsule" spreads out across the skillet.  It is these two thicknesses of the egg white that gives you the flat disk with a thicker hump surrounding the yoke when the egg is cooked.

If you are determined to store eggs for a long time then: 30+ Ways to Preserve Eggs

I wish I could buy eggs like that. Most of the eggs I buy (from various sources) are what I call flat eggs. With a yolk sitting in a lake of thin white.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I'd be careful about food advice from the brits - after all, they hang dead pheasants by the neck til the head rots off and then eat it, they mix blood into pudding and eat beans for breakfast. ????

I'm not a Brit ????. Try it and the surprising thing is that the eggs are not oily at all when you take them out of the fridge afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:29 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

I'd be careful about food advice from the brits - after all, they hang dead pheasants by the neck til the head rots off and then eat it, they mix blood into pudding and eat beans for breakfast. ????

What's wrong with beans for breakfast? 

If you are talking about baked beans sometime times have them on toast for breakfast. 

Couldn't handle maple syrup on bacon like our American friends. 

Each to their own.