7 Airlines To Slash Airfares By Up To 20% From Jan. 2023

webfact

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

But nothing to do with volcanoes spewing millions of tons more of pollutants into the atmosphere, more than all of civiliazation has ever done!

Yep, all those SUV's and coal burning plants, and barbecues must have been what caused the ice age to melt 10,000 years ago!  Good thing too.  It would be really cold here where I am with an ice berg on top of my house!!

How is Narnia at this time of year?

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Airlines have been trying to recoup their losses from the Covid restrictions. My perception is that prices went up by 50% then so a reduction of 20% still leaves the airlines 30% better off than they were pre-covid.

FYI:
last month flew Phnom Pehn to Phuket via Bangkok with Air asia 
$97!!!
about same price as pre covid!!! 

• Thanks 1

Just done a quick search on Thai Air , Bangkok to Heathrow and on the 1st Feb 2023 a single fare in economy was 15275 baht or £375 approx . 

A return on the (out Feb 21 )  21 March was 36305 baht or £867 .  A single one way from the UK to BK on 21 March was £489 or 20500 baht .   It use to be more expensive flying from BK to the UK on a single but now is the other way round it seems . 

Eva on same return was more expensive at 46120 baht or £1,120 , same return date as above 

5 hours ago, Straight8 said:

easily fixed when idiots stop paying 3 times more than pre-pandemic days. Even the cost of oil has returned to under $80 so airline can't keeping using that card for these ridiculous increases.

Other than those who absolutely "must" fly, people should just holiday locally until this ***** returns to normal

You are referring to historic corporate gouging, with covid, supply chains, and other nonsense as an excuse, to engage in piracy. And the sheep who accept it, without question. If people just said no, prices would drop. 

9 minutes ago, superal said:

Just done a quick search on Thai Air , Bangkok to Heathrow and on the 1st Feb 2023 a single fare in economy was 15275 baht or £375 approx . 

A return on the (out Feb 21 )  21 March was 36305 baht or £867 .  A single one way from the UK to BK on 21 March was £489 or 20500 baht .   It use to be more expensive flying from BK to the UK on a single but now is the other way round it seems . 

Eva on same return was more expensive at 46120 baht or £1,120 , same return date as above 

Does this reflect very few (or none) of the special return fares that we used to have, like H, K, M, L, G, V, S, N, Q, O, etc and the return tickets are full fare Y Class?

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'll believe it when I see it, so far fares have been going up and up owing to all sorts of excuses, and once fare is is up very difficult to bring it it down...

Only competition can bring it down. One airline trying to bring down the margins of another airline. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

THE Thai Airline Association said today (Dec. 26) that seven airlines are going to cut airfares by up to 20% from January 2023 after the government reduced the excise tax on jet fuel to only 20 satang per litre to stimulate tourism, TV Channel 7 said.

About time the gouging got reduced.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

All seven airlines will be jointly organising a special promotion with all air fares to be gradually reduced by up to 20% depending on how each airline arranges it.

A lot of wriggle room in that statement.

Lax- BKK was 780usd ersly Dec - mid to late Jan  RT. That's as low since 2016.  ANA cattle class.  Pretty cute and hard working staff.  It's fun to watch the line crews follow hand signal routines during equipment checks.  Chalks and hitch pins.  Gas crew does a post van inspection when they arrive. Then inspect gas truck with all this around and around with hand waving and pointing.  I guess shuttle cars needcti be ready to jump in without pre inspection.  

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is garbage, I doubt the prices on the airlines concerned went up 10%, certainly not anywhere near 50%. The prices on budgets can vary for all sort of reasons so you have to be specific when making outrageous claims.

"The seven airlines participating in this promotion are Bangkok Airways, Thai AirAsia, Thai AirAsia X, Thai Smile, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air and Thai VietJet."

Very unlikely the 20% will make much difference, maybe some saving if you fly during unsociable hours.

I beg to disagree. Both international and Thai internal are far more expensive we were looking at flights to thailand 6 months ago and they were 300% higher than normal we booked for March and were 200% higher but bit the bullet. There were cheaper but with 18hr lay overs.

Pre covid I was paying circa £1800 business class from LHR-BKK on Etihad and about £1250/1500 LHR-BKK on Swiss / Austrian / Lufty etc.

I could also skiplag and go from OSL or ARN to BKK for about £1000 and I have had it under £900.

In August 2022 it was £4500, today it is £6500 and through most of next year it is also £4000-5000 with Swiss sometimes coming down to £2250/2500.

I won't travel in economy and I won't pay over about £2000, maybe £2500 in business. Sure, my choice but the idea of £5k return to Bangkok is not happening.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SGD said:

I won't travel in economy and I won't pay over about £2000, maybe £2500 in business. Sure, my choice but the idea of £5k return to Bangkok is not happening.

Me too... although not much to go back to the UK for anyhow, strikes and Christmas killings!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritScot said:

I beg to disagree. Both international and Thai internal are far more expensive we were looking at flights to thailand 6 months ago and they were 300% higher than normal we booked for March and were 200% higher but bit the bullet. There were cheaper but with 18hr lay overs.

Stay in context, the OP relates to Thai budget airlines.

My niece has been at uni in CM for over 3 years and during that time the airfare has been fairly stable in the 800 - 1000 baht range.

A return flight to HCMC in Vietnam has been fairly stable for several years in the order of 3500 baht.

Of course you will find instances where the price has deviated from the average.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

Stay in context, the OP relates to Thai budget airlines.

My niece has been at uni in CM for over 3 years and during that time the airfare has been fairly stable in the 800 - 1000 baht range.

A return flight to HCMC in Vietnam has been fairly stable for several years in the order of 3500 baht.

Of course you will find instances where the price has deviated from the average.

I think I will carry on replying and quoting whatever direction a post take unless you are some kind of official stay on topic police!!! The relevance also relate to internal Thailand flights we also had to book. I can also speak/relate to family members who continually fly within Thailand and to other Asian countries (social and work related). If you have not noticed an increase well either you are very special person or maybe "do you know who I am elite" us meer mortals see very large increases.

10 hours ago, BritScot said:

I think I will carry on replying and quoting whatever direction a post take unless you are some kind of official stay on topic police!!! The relevance also relate to internal Thailand flights we also had to book. I can also speak/relate to family members who continually fly within Thailand and to other Asian countries (social and work related). If you have not noticed an increase well either you are very special person or maybe "do you know who I am elite" us meer mortals see very large increases.

Feel free, obviously the main point of the thread went over your head.

"Mr. Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth, president of this association, said excise tax on jet fuel was cut to 20 satang per litre from 4.726 baht for six months starting January."

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Feel free, obviously the main point of the thread went over your head.

"Mr. Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth, president of this association, said excise tax on jet fuel was cut to 20 satang per litre from 4.726 baht for six months starting January."

Very pompous! The article did not go over my head. You do understand the concept of answering a post? It is how thaivisa has flourished.  If it were regimented about the specifics of details in an article there would be 2 posts and then just likes. It is all about people commenting then commenting on those comments. It's not Rocket Science. Thai Visa polices this and deletes offending Trolls as of yet I have no notification that my post has been removed so I will take it that my remarks are within topic.. Let the police police and the conversation flow. There is a great word that describes a person who takes it apon themselves to police everyone..... starts with a K....

On 12/27/2022 at 6:40 AM, Muhendis said:

Airlines have been trying to recoup their losses from the Covid restrictions. My perception is that prices went up by 50% then so a reduction of 20% still leaves the airlines 30% better off than they were pre-covid.

20% Only !! Cheers????

On 12/27/2022 at 5:40 AM, Muhendis said:

Actually it leaves them 20% better off ....the 20% acting on a bigger number!

On 12/29/2022 at 1:16 PM, BritScot said:

Very pompous! The article did not go over my head. You do understand the concept of answering a post? It is how thaivisa has flourished.  If it were regimented about the specifics of details in an article there would be 2 posts and then just likes. It is all about people commenting then commenting on those comments. It's not Rocket Science. Thai Visa polices this and deletes offending Trolls as of yet I have no notification that my post has been removed so I will take it that my remarks are within topic.. Let the police police and the conversation flow. There is a great word that describes a person who takes it apon themselves to police everyone..... starts with a K....

Quite arrogant to think that people want pages and pages of unrelated garbage.

• Thumbs Up 1