More than 5M Chinese Visitors expected in Thailand next year

webfact

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

He never said that, he was misquoted. He is say farang didn't shower as often as Thais, which I would agree with, wouldn't you?

Thai health minister has a slash at ‘dirty farang’

Thailand’s Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul is at it again making public disparaging and xenophobic comments about ‘white’ foreigners (farang). This time he’s warned his fellow Thais about the foreigners fleeing their own countries for the ‘safe haven’ of Thailand.

Thai health minister has a slash at 'dirty farang' | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've had meetings with over 50 Chinese in the last week and I'd say 20 of them had had or had Covid in the last week and many had spouses who had it. So basically everyone is getting it, which is great and they wasted 3 years of lockdown.  

I wouldn't say they wasted all 3 years, they avoided lots of deaths when the deadlier strains were prevalent, but yes, probably the last 6 months - 1 year were wasted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Mistranslated. 

He said 'ai puak farang' which means 'damn whities'. He never said 'dirty'(sokaprok).

It is the English gutterpress who had their feelings hurt when he JOKED they didn't shower often. 

Keep it up we all know you have Thai resident or citizen ship but still being a Farang you still get treated as a Farang wherever you go 

• Like 2

I can tell you that a lot of Chinese, including Hong Kong'ers etc.. have been couped up for nearly 3 years.

So they will be ready to Travel come Chinese New Year and beyond.  Question is, will they pick Thailand ?  Probably spread the tourist bucks around, I'm sure some will choose other nearby places.  Could be anywhere from Korea, Japan, to Bali, Malaysia, Vietnam and others.

But surely Thailand will get a boost for Chinese NY, thats what I'm getting from my sources.

8 hours ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

China has 250,000,000 covid cases, that's about 1 in 5 total of population.  And now they are letting them travel to Thailand. I wonder what checks will be made to obtain an entry visa ?   Maybe a little brown envelope will do 

Its time to spread the love (new variant)....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yeah Right.....as if......dreams are what these numbers are.  China's having major issues now and I do not see it clearing before the end of 2023

5 million out of a population of 1.6BN? 

TAT has been bad at projecting with lower actual numbers than forecast, but considering the scope of the Chinese inbound/outbound - 5 million tourists for a whole year is nothing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I was just watching CNN news and they said countries like Japan, and India are gonna require all people coming from China to do virus testing upon arrival. I wonder if Thailand will demand the same thing

Not gonna happen.

if Chinese are isolated for requirements, our beloved leader would be whipped in public again

2 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Am I missing something? The article says the lifting of restrictions is for those entering China.

Which is one of the things stopping Chinese tourists e.g. who wants to use a big chunk of their time off in quarantine on return home.

China is also slowly dropping it's restrictions on people leaving.

"Online searches for flights abroad surged on the news, state media reported, with the travel platform Tongcheng seeing an 850% jump in searches and a tenfold rise in inquiries about visas."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/26/china-starts-to-drop-quarantine-requirement-for-overseas-passengers

5 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

If the Thai Government let the Chinese come in 2023 we can expect an awful lot of covid to come too.

They are getting 25m cases a day according to some sources.

People in the west can read these stories too and if the Chinese are coming then maybe the westerners won't.

Because of thier government's  resistance to the fact that western vaccine is superior to thiers so they won't import it,  I just can't see how the Chinese are safe to be around....at any time in the near future

Yes, they're getting massive case numbers but only because they kept it out so long with lockdowns and draconian restrictions.

Covid is well established in Thailand. If/as Chinese tourism resumes this won't make any significant difference to Thailands case levels. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, K2938 said:

Coronavirus: Japan to limit China flights, with mainland, HK, Taiwan visitors restricted to certain airports

• Japan PM also says all visitors from China will need negative Covid-19 tests upon arrival from Friday, amid reports virus is ‘rapidly spreading’ there
  • Meanwhile, travellers from mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong can reportedly only enter Japan via four airports starting from Friday

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3204657/coronavirus-japan-limit-china-flight-increase-test-travellers-upon-arrival

Not a logical or rational response from a country recording 1 million reported cases a week.

Japan had some of the highest reported case levels in the world and has done for weeks now. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Keep telling yourself that. You surely don't pay much attention to the events occurring in China.

I know whats happening there. Massive spread due to an immune naive population barely vaccinated, with little prior infection due to draconian lockdowns and restrictions. 

Most of Chinas population will get infected over the next month or so.

But the rest of the world went through this when Omicron came out a year ago. 

Having said that, when they open up  to inbound Chinese - Thailand doesn't need to be concerned as they have significant immunity through prior infection and vaccination.

If they were worried they should have been testing arrivals from Japan - 1M cases recorded last week. 

The idea of border closures for Covid and even any testing restrictions is just unnecessary now days. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

Sinovac jabbed Chinese is said to be infected in droves, govt decides not to report stats of infections & deaths, instead let the population out of the country.

Tons of Thais are also sinovac jabbed. Good Luck to all the ushers. 

The same restrictions on outbound Chinese travelers haven't changed, they are not allowed to travel. The article is a future forecast.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Lots of Westerners here seem to have translated that one off remark made by a  mask proffering politician, into an enduring government policy, but I don't think the true picture looks like that at all. I think it's a combination of paranoia and a sense of self over importance that makes people think westerns here are targets for all things bad. The government doesn't think that westerners are bad and Chinese and Indians are good. The simple truth is that there are far more Indians and Chinese visitors to Thailand than there are white westerners, perhaps many of us can't handle not being number one but that is the reality, we're not. It's a matter of economics, it's all about money and income. Chinese and Indians produce more revenue for the country than we civilized and courteous , mostly law abiding and decent, well mannered westerners ever will. Our efforts at handing out food parcels, picking up the trash and helping old ladies across the street count for nothing unless we can show them the money, on a similar scale.

Recent figures showed the Chinese spending is only slightly in front of the West in Thailand and the Indians lag behind.

And don't forget the Chinese bring a lot more bodies, so spend per capita probably leans towards the West.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Salerno said:

From the same website:

"China at present brought revenue of 543.707 billion Thai baht in 2019, clearly the most important country for the Thai tourism industry. However, Europeans are not that far behind at 461.478 billion Thai baht. They still bring in more money than the countries of Asean combined (323.780 billion thai baht)."

2001508894_ExpenditureByRegion-2019-png-730478-.png.22c3c5d1172fdaf362ea02aa88c7a360.png

This is what I was referring to.

Borrowed from Salerno

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Recent figures showed the Chinese spending is only slightly in front of the West in Thailand and the Indians lag behind.

And don't forget the Chinese bring a lot more bodies, so spend per capita probably leans towards the West.

I agree that spend per capita is lower with Chinese/Indian but future potential must surely be far higher. If the numbers you mention are total spend by country, I'd be interested to see them, unless they pertain to the covid recovery months where data remains heavily distorted. Some of my experience of Chinese visitors comes from the stories my wife has told me about visitors to the 5 star where she worked. Spending 200k/300k per time on visits to the hotel shop and asking the hotel to ship everything back to China. Many Chinese are seriously big spenders here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Also as mentioned on the site where the chart comes from, Asians spend less time per visit than those from the West hence per "tourist" figures will tend to show westerners spend more per capita - they're in Thailand longer to spend:

The average Asian person (including Chinese and Japanese visitors) spends about 2/3 of what a European spends while on holiday in Thailand. The latter as mentioned before stays longer in the country."

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Also as mentioned on the site where the chart comes from, Asians spend less time per visit than those from the West hence per "tourist" figures will tend to show westerners spend more per capita - they're in Thailand longer to spend:

The average Asian person (including Chinese and Japanese visitors) spends about 2/3 of what a European spends while on holiday in Thailand. The latter as mentioned before stays longer in the country."

Agreed agreed agreed, but form the governments perspective, it's all about the bottom line and total revenue derived from each region, is it not.

• Like 1

Just now, nigelforbes said:

Agreed agreed agreed, but form the governments perspective, it's all about the bottom line and total revenue derived from each region, is it not.

Indeed, which is why I posted that graph initially to counter the one showing western tourists spending more which doesn't give the full picture.

On the one hand "we are so vital because we spend way more money" on the other it's "it sucks, the Chinese are buying up all the real estate, driving prices up and pricing us out of the market" 555

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Trade of Thailand expects more than 5 million Chinese people to visit Thailand next year as the Chinese government announced to lift its COVID-19 control.

Thailands salvation is near.

8 hours ago, matador007 said:

I can tell you that a lot of Chinese, including Hong Kong'ers etc.. have been couped up for nearly 3 years.

So they will be ready to Travel come Chinese New Year and beyond.  Question is, will they pick Thailand ?  Probably spread the tourist bucks around, I'm sure some will choose other nearby places.  Could be anywhere from Korea, Japan, to Bali, Malaysia, Vietnam and others.

But surely Thailand will get a boost for Chinese NY, thats what I'm getting from my sources.

But will those "other places" be stupid enough to let them in?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Because these Chinese package tour tourists required the least effort to take care of, were easy to rip off with overpriced attractions and food, and did not complain as they were used to worse in their own country. 

Yes I was going to mention the less discerning aspect of them. But making money and jobs are what it is all about. The real attraction is the sheer numbers that are involved, there is a limitless supply of gormless looking tourists, who don't mind a small room, a tatty bathroom, and are easy to feed and can be herded....no different than the old package tours from UK to Costa del Sol with chicken and chips in a basket!

• Like 1