Buying a phone on Lazada - risky or not?

Batty

I'm looking at buying a Samsung Note 10+ on Lazada for 11,000 baht. The seller has 40k followers and a 94% pozy review score, and this particular phone has sold 287 orders through the store. Reviews seem good. Seller says the phone is new and not refurbished.

But there is no warranty.

Am I right in being a bit hesitant to buy it? I mean surely if it's a new phone and not refurbished, there would be a warranty?

Plus, I always thought warranty follows the actual handset, and not the seller? So the warranty should be built in to the handset, and activates when used?

The note 10+ is discontinued by Samsung so can't buy direct from the Samsung store.

Any risk involved, do you think?

17 minutes ago, Batty said:

But there is no warranty.

That above, should deter you from buying anything that requires warranty, and this is not clear enough for you that you REALLY shouldn't be buying nothing on Lazada...

• Thumbs Up 1

A few years ago I bought I "new" Samsung Galaxy S9 from a seller on Lazada.

The phone did appear to be new and was in what looked like an original Samsung Box, so initially everything looked ok.

A check of the serial number revealed it was made for the Korean market.

When first switched on, an unusual splash screen appeared. It had been rooted and some kind of non-Samsung software had been installed. Banking apps would not run and gave a warning that the phone was rooted.

The seller offered to exchange it for an unrooted unit.

I guess it all comes down to the seller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Am I right in being a bit hesitant to buy it? I mean surely if it's a new phone and not refurbished, there would be a warranty?

A legitimate manufacturer's warranty is perfectly possibly. Although you would almost certainly have to activate it yourself, probably online.

A Lazada seller's warranty? Anything longer than a fortnight is generally is very rare.

As mentioned above, LazMall sellers or failing that, a LazPick seller are your safest route when buying expensive electronic items on the Lazada platform.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

That above, should deter you from buying anything that requires warranty, and this is not clear enough for you that you REALLY shouldn't be buying nothing on Lazada...

Never buy from Lazada if you can get the same anywhere else. In saying that, most of the things I have bought from Lazada have been fine, but there are too many occasions where that is not the case.

• Like 1

do your research and buy from 'flagship' store or authorized reseller, and should be happy with your purchase.  Their sites will, should have links to their flagship and or authorized sellers, and only use those links.  ex: Xiaomi:

image.png.3e0ff3754f8c7a43ef402a7e90a7c633.png

10 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Never buy from Lazada if you can get the same anywhere else. In saying that, most of the things I have bought from Lazada have been fine, but there are too many occasions where that is not the case.

Never buy from Lazada,  but you do and it's been fine.   Huh?

34 minutes ago, Jerno said:

Never buy from Lazada,  but you do and it's been fine.   Huh?

That's exactly what I said. I only buy from Lazada if I cannot buy the article anywhere else. Did I not say Most, I repeat MOST! of the time it's been fine??  

I have bought quite a few items on Lazada and one which I did have a problem with, I had the money refunded. I have also bought a Nokia flip phone on Lazada, and it was fine and I still have it, however I have also used eBay and my latest acquisition was an Apple iPhone SE, an old model but in perfect condition and it is also fine.

I have every confidence that should I have a problem with anything bought on Lazada, I will get a refund. I even bought three tins of custard the other day, to go with my Christmas pudding!!!!!!!!!!????

• Like 2

If no warranty i suspect some kind of grey market 'phone. I bought a Samsung off Shopee that didn't have English as a language option - a younger Thai friend eventually found a version of English that had not been removed so it basically works but i suspect the removal was to prevent re-export to other markets.

I bought last year's Samsung S21 5G off lazada for the smaller screen and to save a couple thousand baht from local mall retailers. Bangkok PT Telecom shop. New, no battery issues. Oddly, though the packaging was sealed, the sim key was missing.