RTP say drink and drive at New Year and we'll arrest you - some leeway shown to late night opening

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Arrests for sure for drink drivers!

The chief of the Trat provincial police had a strong message at the start of a New Year crime suppression drive yesterday.

Pol Maj-Gen Chukiat Phukapploi addressed 158 of his force and DOPA officials, reported Daily News.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

His message to those who might drink and drive during the new year festivities was simple.

Don't or you'll be arrested.

He said that his focus will be on DUI, guns, war weapons, drugs, bank and gold shop protection from robbery, sexual assaults and the serving of old warrants.

image.jpeg

Closing times will be strictly enforced in the eastern province, he said, but there would be some leeway in what is allowed on New Year's Eve to allow people to let their hair down.

The chief noted astutely that there would be several days off one after another, this constitutes a long weekend.

image.jpeg

But with holidays comes crime and he promised that his men and women would be on the ball to ensure that brazen criminals don't get the upper hand.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said that his focus will be on DUI, guns, war weapons, drugs, bank and gold shop protection from robbery, sexual assaults and the serving of old warrants.

sounds like normal police work - why not 365 days a year........................is it ok to drink and drive after the 4th Jan ??

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said that his focus will be on ... war weapons ...

Damn, I was just off to the storage locker to dust off the RPG, was also thinking of getting the Abrams out of the garage in case of limited parking or possibly the Apache to get a birds eye view of the festivities. Talk about "the fun police" ????

Edited by Salerno

who is going to arrest you, as most checks only is looking if you paid taxes.....in 20 years driving in Thailand I have never been asked one time for my driverslicense, do an alcoholtest, or whatever....If you drunk maybe they wil see the way you drive but otherwise......

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

who is going to arrest you, as most checks only is looking if you paid taxes.....in 20 years driving in Thailand I have never been asked one time for my driverslicense, do an alcoholtest, or whatever....If you drunk maybe they wil see the way you drive but otherwise......

Not sure where you live, but here in Pattaya they surely do plenty of breath tests. Been stopped a few times.  Also, they ask for licenses (Thai or foreign/international permit combo), and check vehicle is registered.  Lots of tickets issued and/or on-the-spot payments.