No Special Measures for Chinese Visitors

webfact

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:
7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The politicians of every developed country on the planet are ignoring the science and advice of their own, qualified medical advisers to jump on the "ban the Chinese" bandwagon by requiring tests for Chinese arrivals.

There, that's better.

Still no link?

Link to what? This?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64119080

I was agreeing with the EU's comment in the BBC article. This is just another politicization of a disease that the WHO has already declared endemic.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally agree. However, the US sees the current domestic unrest in China and their u-turn on zero-covid mandates as a weakness to be exploited internationally and are undoubtedly pressuring their allies to toe the line.

It's commonly called a pile-on.

So your saying the US started all of this new testing? That's laughable.  Tell me how and why....

Ah, grasshopper...

First, can you tell me what value there is in PCR testing those arriving from China into a global community where close to 80% of the population are already fully vaccinated and most have already caught and shrugged off at least one bout of Covid due to being fully vaccinated or having a stronger immune system?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ah, grasshopper...

First, can you tell me what value there is in PCR testing those arriving from China into a global community where close to 80% of the population are already fully vaccinated and most have already caught and shrugged off at least one bout of Covid due to being fully vaccinated or having a stronger immune system?

Try again, since China, is still, and has, been testing inbound and there own citizens going outbound. In China it has never truly stopped.

• Thumbs Up 1

Joke of the day. 

A Thai believing everything that comes out of a chinese government mouth.

There are already special measures in place for the chinese mafia as we see in regular news stories about how they have been allowed to stay here and conduct illegal activities with bought for visas...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Link to what? This?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64119080

I was agreeing with the EU's comment in the BBC article. This is just another politicization of a disease that the WHO has already declared endemic.

And it is a politicization that will take a long time to eradicate. After all, Charles Mackay, as far back as 1841, pointed out in his book "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" that:

Men ... go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.

The same seems to apply to governments, who virtually all went mad in 2020, and only a handful have so far made it back into the world of sanity and reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No Special Measures for Chinese Visitors

In stark contrast to the Special Measures bureaucratic nonsense which were was in place for Western visitors this time last year, as succinctly summed up by @gearbox

18 hours ago, gearbox said:

I flew to Thailand in late Feb when the PCR screening was still in place - I had to do 3 PCR tests, one prior to departure from Sydney, and 2 in Phuket.

So why are the Chinese being treated more favourably now than Westerners were then? The $64,000 question, I think!

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

Expect total deaths to be in the millions.

Expected total deaths about 1.5m, according to multiple models including the Chinese themselves. 

A back-of-the-envelope calculation: 4x more inhabitants than US. US 1m death,  so China should have 4m. But countries who followed zero-covid generally have only 25% accumulated deaths compared to the places that let it rip (US, UK, Sweden) from the beginning.  So China should have 1m deaths.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

This China panic isn't remotely linked to China's in-country health struggles wrought of dictatorial rule or the fact that everyone going TO China has to be tested up the ying yang.

This is about a politicized knee-jerk to their relaxation of travel restrictions for everyone coming FROM mainland China.

The WHO says it's endemic. If China says it's otherwise, that's their problem but by relaxing the travel restrictions and need for testing, they are only doing what every other nation wanted and that was get back to (the new) normal.

Reigniting the Chinese covid bogeyman arguments is a total waste of time, unless you are a politician with a marginal degree of popular support.

Since when did the WHO declare covid endemic?

The World Health Organisation again urged China’s health officials to regularly share specific, real-time information on the country’s Covid surge, as the UK joined other countries in bringing in travel restrictions, citing a lack of data as the reason.

WHO Covid experts met Chinese officials on Friday and “again stressed the importance of transparency and regular sharing of data to formulate accurate risk assessments and to inform effective response”, said the WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

In particular, WHO requested more genetic sequencing data, data on hospitalisations, intensive care unit admissions and deaths – and data on vaccinations delivered and vaccination status, especially in vulnerable people and those over 60 years old.

• Thumbs Up 1

won't fly if they have covid symptoms and risk getting hospitalised in an expensive foreign country

Wrong.

If they get covid now in China they know they won't get a hospital bed (all full), they won't get Paxlovid (not allowed), they won't even get Paracetamol (sold out).

If they are smart they fly abroad. 

They know in Western countries or in Thailand nobody can force them to pay the bill

Chinese are not that stupid

Not stupid. But disingenuous.

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

Wrong.

If they get covid now in China they know they won't get a hospital bed (all full), they won't get Paxlovid (not allowed), they won't even get Paracetamol (sold out).

If they are smart they fly abroad. 

They know in Western countries or in Thailand nobody can force them to pay the bill

Not stupid. But disingenuous.

Thailand is not known as a country providing free health care to the foreigners, and a number of posts on this web site confirm that.  In fact I can't remember getting anything free here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The politicians of every developed country on the planet are ignoring the science and advice of their own, qualified medical advisers to jump on the "ban the Chinese" bandwagon by requiring tests for Chinese arrivals.

There, that's better.

This is a factual statement. We cannot dispute that. 

Sources - Health advice provided and ignored:

Australia 

https://www.theage.com.au/national/chief-medical-officer-no-public-health-rationale-to-screen-china-flights-for-covid-20230102-p5c9t6.html

Canada 

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/coronavirus/2023/1/1/1_6214557.amp.html

EU
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64119080.amp

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

What is the alleged purpose of these so called restrictions?

Reportedly the Chinese tourists need 3 doses and a PCR test to leave China anyway.

Mandatory "covid" insurance was perhaps the biggest rort/rip-off of the pandemic.

A burden on travelers that achieved nothing overall, utter nonsense at this point,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

What is the alleged purpose of these so called restrictions?

Reportedly the Chinese tourists need 3 doses and a PCR test to leave China anyway.

Mandatory "covid" insurance was perhaps the biggest rort/rip-off of the pandemic.

A burden on travelers that achieved nothing overall, utter nonsense at this point,

Wasn't the mandatory covid insurance from Thailand?  LOL!

They're coming so don't worry about it.  And they're voracious, ready for the all-you-can-eat poor manner fest.  Hmm... I wonder if I can change "poor" with "horrific" manners.  Or would "truly horrific manners" be going to far?

I"m thinking not.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

300.000 Chinese to Thailand in next 3 months....what could possibly go wrong?  How about covid and new variant rage through Thailand and all the business that are now open again have to shut down again?  Maybe want to think about the economic and social cost of that to 60 million Thai people?

So china requires test and 3 jabs before boarding a plane?  Somehow I don't have a lot of confidence in those measures being very real if Thailand just has to "take their word' . 

Who pays hospital bills if a bunch of Chinese end up in Thai hospitals with tubes down their throats?

1 minute ago, pomchop said:

300.000 Chinese to Thailand in next 3 months....what could possibly go wrong?  How about covid and new variant rage through Thailand and all the business that are now open again have to shut down again?  Maybe want to think about the economic and social cost of that to 60 million Thai people?

So china requires test and 3 jabs before boarding a plane?  Somehow I don't have a lot of confidence in those measures being very real if Thailand just has to "take their word' . 

Who pays hospital bills if a bunch of Chinese end up in Thai hospitals with tubes down their throats?

In Three years how many tourists ended up in in Thai hospitals needing this level of care? 

And as always having an insurance paper is "never" proof hospital debts are paid. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 5:51 PM, ozimoron said:

Snake oil salesmen are those who push conspiracy theories that scientists debunk. The beacon of light is a stream of bat's pee when all around is dark.

Think you need to read more history as you have it totally wrong. "Snake Oil Salesmen" went around the wild west and peddled medicine and ointment that they said fixed and cured every ailment. Yes science is now starting to come out with figures that can't be disputed yet mainstream and governments are ignoring. Example would be the Yellow Card warning system. There have been more Yellow cards issued against a certain medical procedure than every other yellow card issued which seen several vacancies pulled "Swine Flue vaccine" comes to mind. Again check the figures on the UK  .gov website (why everyone doesn't check everytime some media or elite opens their mouth and spouts their truth (in my day we called them LIES).

• Haha 1

When Chinese tourists arrive, they must purchase health insurance so that they will have proper care if they fall sick, he said.

So, if no special measures will be taken for Chinese, does that mean Thailand is going to reimpose mandatory health insurance for everybody?  Because I thought health insurance was now only recommended, not required.

48 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Think you need to read more history as you have it totally wrong. "Snake Oil Salesmen" went around the wild west and peddled medicine and ointment that they said fixed and cured every ailment. Yes science is now starting to come out with figures that can't be disputed yet mainstream and governments are ignoring. Example would be the Yellow Card warning system. There have been more Yellow cards issued against a certain medical procedure than every other yellow card issued which seen several vacancies pulled "Swine Flue vaccine" comes to mind. Again check the figures on the UK  .gov website (why everyone doesn't check everytime some media or elite opens their mouth and spouts their truth (in my day we called them LIES).

Over 50 million people received covid vaccine in the UK, just over 3 million received swine flu vaccine, so yes, many more sore arms and associated effects which was the highest number of incidents reported on the yellow card system.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:45 PM, ozimoron said:

That was never the issue. The issue was that you claimed that Chinese vaccines were ineffective.

No I didn't. I questioned why Singapore mainstream media would say they were effective while the scientific community broadly suggests otherwise. That's all.

Just now, NanLaew said:

No I didn't. I questioned why Singapore mainstream media would say they were effective while the scientific community broadly suggests otherwise. That's all.

Link? I provided a number of credible links claiming they were effective against serious illness, the only requirement that really matters.

• Like 2

Just now, nigelforbes said:

After all this time with all the reports and all the news, you still don't understand, really?

Vaccines prevent serious symptoms, illness and death, they do not prevent the virus from entering the body.

That's dumb.  They obviously prevent infections of they reduce the amount of covid going around.  

If less covid then less infections. 

• Thumbs Up 1