Stocks closing out 2022 with more losses, S&P 500 worst year since 2008

Stocks are closing out 2022 with more losses, giving the S&P 500 its worst year since 2008.

The benchmark index fell 10 points, or 0.3% to close at 3,840, leaving it down 19.4% for the year — its worst loss since the financial crisis 14 years ago. 

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 74 points, or 0.2%, to 33,147. The Nasdaq composite fell 0.1%, ending the year with an annual loss of 33%. The index has fared much worse this year because it is heavily made up of technology stocks that have been leading the broader market slump.

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Who was the poster on here who told me that I would be guaranteed a 10 % return if I invested in the S&P ?

It wasn't me but I imagine it was somebody who said that the average yearly return on the S&P since 1957 was 11.88%, when adjusted for inflation the return is 8.5%.

Well I can't complain because about 10 years ago I invested in a couple of New Zealand stocks and not only have they paid and almost 5% dividend per annum, one of them has more than doubled in price, whereas the other has improved upon the price I paid for it, by about 50%, so all well and good for me.

I think it's also necessary to look at the "longer term" if one is investing in the share market, and to set goals based on the overall longer term returns if that is the time horizon that suits the investor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Who was the poster on here who told me that I would be guaranteed a 10 % return if I invested in the S&P ?

If you buy and hold over many years the return will probably be about 8 percent annually based on history. Not 10.

• Like 2

BUY

for the long term.

Bear markets are your friend.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/012116/warren-buffett-be-fearful-when-others-are-greedy.asp

"Warren Buffett once said that it is wise for investors to be “fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.”1 This statement is somewhat of a contrarian view on stock markets and relates directly to the price of an asset: when others are greedy, prices typically boil over, and one should be cautious lest they overpay for an asset that subsequently leads to anemic returns. When others are fearful, it may present a good value investment opportunity."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

BUY

for the long term.

Bear markets are your friend.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/012116/warren-buffett-be-fearful-when-others-are-greedy.asp

"Warren Buffett once said that it is wise for investors to be “fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.”1 This statement is somewhat of a contrarian view on stock markets and relates directly to the price of an asset: when others are greedy, prices typically boil over, and one should be cautious lest they overpay for an asset that subsequently leads to anemic returns. When others are fearful, it may present a good value investment opportunity."

That's only useful if you know where the bottom is, do you know where bottom is?

Edited by nigelforbes

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you buy and hold over many years the return will probably be about 8 percent annually based on history. Not 10.

sorry, i never bought that sales pitch in the past. but in the future, it seems even more likely to be useless advice, 

i came across this video.

even proponents of the stock market are advising against traditional investing these days. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Stocks are still expensive on a historical basis. If the FED keeps raising rates, you'll have bonds in the 6-8 percent range competing with stocks with low yields and low expected returns. Personally, if I can get a 6-8 percent low risk yield on bonds, I'll make them the biggest part of my portfolio.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Stocks are still expensive on a historical basis. If the FED keeps raising rates, you'll have bonds in the 6-8 percent range competing with stocks with low yields and low expected returns. Personally, if I can get a 6-8 percent low risk yield on bonds, I'll make them the biggest part of my portfolio.

You're thinking short term.

I enjoy gambling so I frequent the OTC tickers. I make it a hobby to find those rare shell tickers before completing a merger.

Current one is $APSI.... This one is primed and ready to blast off. Got in months ago in the low .20s and now it's .60......soon to rip to multiple dollars (USD).

NOTE: Playing the OTC pacifies my gambling need. I do however invest in big board stocks that pay monthly/quarterly dividends.

36 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

sorry, i never bought that sales pitch in the past. but in the future, it seems even more likely to be useless advice, 

i came across this video.

even proponents of the stock market are advising against traditional investing these days. 

I am a value dividend investor. It takes a fair while to build up a portfolio.

You can't control if the price or the dividend goes up or down. You can only control what price you buy in at.

This a reasonable time to look at dividend etf's if you don't want to pick individual stocks. If you do, Morningstar lets you look at their div investment newsletter for free for 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I am a value dividend investor. It takes a fair while to build up a portfolio.

You can't control if the price or the dividend goes up or down. You can only control what price you buy in at.

This a reasonable time to look at dividend etf's if you don't want to pick individual stocks. If you do, Morningstar lets you look at their div investment newsletter for free for 2 weeks.

I didnt come here for investing advice.

I came here to paint a negative picture of the stock market.

I don't believe in investing in the stock market.

I believe it's too corrupt and/or cryptic and the average person is mostly getting screwed over.

And I am not going to engage in endless debate.

I've met stock brokers who will argue their point for decades insisting that stock market investing is great.

I don't buy it. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

In that case, I recco looking at non-financial preferred shares. In a well diversified ETF, you'd take away about 5% with much less risk (and growth, unfortunately) than stocks. Bond-like REIT's are good too.

But Saint Warren said if you don't understand it, don't buy it. And I agree. What do you do to take income from your pile of cash?

Edited by LaosLover

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You need to enter in the bottom and hope it rises 

It's the folks with their retirement funds which are fueled by the stock market that are feeling the pinch. I for one don't want to start withdrawing till I'm flush again. If you're 72 or so you're obligated to withdraw every year. I'm not there yet.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I didnt come here for investing advice.

I came here to paint a negative picture of the stock market.

I don't believe in investing in the stock market.

I believe it's too corrupt and/or cryptic and the average person is mostly getting screwed over.

And I am not going to engage in endless debate.

I've met stock brokers who will argue their point for decades insisting that stock market investing is great.

I don't buy it. 

You got this right. go do something more meaningful to yourself and others. Stop posting anything about stock investment which you have no experience, and probably know little otherthen taht stocks were down in 2022.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

but i thought bitcoin was a scam. 

The US Dollar is too mate.

The Petroyuan looks more interesting,

and what happens if the BoJ dumps its heaps of US Treasuries?

Why are central banks now stocking up on piles of gold?

Interesting times ahead for fiat?

• Like 1