Friend (US Citizen) in ICU, no savings or insurance - don't know what to do for the best

jimmiejackson

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Age ?

TB ... on a ventilator.  Guessing borrowed time.  Possibly very short or a tad longer.

IF me, send me home with bottle of oxygen, let me pass in piece, without causing additional burden to anyone.

You know how much it cost?Thausands 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

30,000 to 40,000 baht a day in the ICU? There must be something cheaper in Bangkok.

This is very cheap for being on a ventilator. 

It will get even cheaper (maybe half) because the first days in ICU are usually the most expensive ones.

Hospitals usually don't insist on daily payments,  they often let patients run up a very high bill. And once he really has to pay hospitals usually accept paying by installments. 

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

move to the nearest governmental hospital.

That's 10 minutes drive by ambulance with oxygen.

There is no good government hospital nearby. 

As he is on a ventilator he may need a ventilator on the trip.

A government hospital won't necessarily be much cheaper. 

Edited by Lorry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

As a matter of interest how much would ICU be in a govt hospital a day in Bangkok?

For a tourist (all foreigners are tourist in their eyes): Not much less than 50,000.  Goverment hospitals charge foreigners 100,000 per day and more in Phuket. The government would like to see these prices everywhere. 

It depends a lot on whether he is on a ventilator and which hospital

5 hours ago, jimmiejackson said:

Chula and the Chest Hospital where he was receiving treatment

These would be good choices,  indeed. 

But it won't be easy to get him there.  You won't be able to do it.

Ask Camillean to get him transferred there,  as reason tell them that his case is known there.  I would hesitate to talk about money. Chula probably won't be much cheaper than Camillean, but treatment will be better.  About prices at Chest Hospital I have no idea. 

What I said about hospitals not requiring daily payments is even more true at government hospitals. So even if they aren't cheaper, the problem will be postponed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, still kicking said:

You know how much it cost?Thausands 

what's one doing in Thailand without at least a few thousand dollars in their immediate funds, even credit cards typically have $10,000 on them, a months expenses is roughly $1000 on the low end 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, dj230 said:

what's one doing in Thailand without at least a few thousand dollars in their immediate funds, even credit cards typically have $10,000 on them, a months expenses is roughly $1000 on the low end 

Transport of a patient on a ventilator to the US costs a lot more than 10,000 USD.

On a commercial airliner,  maybe 40,000. If medevac is needed reckon 100,000 or more.

• Like 1

You need to minimize then stop the bleeding $$$.   So logically that means a much cheaper hospital until he can get on a flight back to the USA.

Who forks out the money and where from is a decision that has to be made,  and that should be by next of kin.  You can't work miracles if he has no money or assets.

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

For a tourist (all foreigners are tourist in their eyes): Not much less than 50,000.  Goverment hospitals charge foreigners 100,000 per day and more in Phuket. The government would like to see these prices everywhere. 

It depends a lot on whether he is on a ventilator and which hospital

Surely govt cannot be more than private, the cost now is 30-40k a day in a private hospital

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dj230 said:

I mean 300k baht isn't much in terms of assets, a car is easily worth a million baht, even an iPhone is worth 20-30k, surely he has something he can sell or give you to sell 

you have to ask yourself if he's worth giving your money to, you clearly said you don't have anymore money, he had a health condition he knew about and didn't save up or get health insurance so in my opinion it's his fault. If it was a freak accident, thats another story.

I've given friends around 200k for medical bills, I didn't expect any of it back but they ended up doing favors for me. 

Tryin to sell stuff in the second-hand market can be very time-consuming

Plus, the guy is in the ICU 

Get a grip.

Get him out the private hospital asap.

Tell them you are just a friend and the family is not  interested.

If they want to nurse him ,as a charity case, they are free to do so.

Once in govt hospital, leave him to the good graces of the authorities.

I'm sure the patient must have been aware that this is how the cookie would crumble some day..

• Like 2

So what happens if OP just tells current hospital that he has no more $$.  Will the hospital throw the patient out onto the streets, call US embassy or ??

Very kind of OP to do what he has already done but seems that getting involved in moving to private hospital doesn't really solve the problem as even then more $$ required.

Maybe just tell current hospital sorry i have done all i can, his family has no $$, he has no money and OP has no $$.  Somehow I think/hope that the hospital will have to either keep him or move him but it has to be their decision and their cost.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1