Friend (US Citizen) in ICU, no savings or insurance - don't know what to do for the best

jimmiejackson

9 hours ago, it is what it is said:

this is not a thai problem as such, tourists/foreigners  get sick, have accidents, need medical assistance in every country in the world. i've visited 50+ countries and non has had a mandatory insurance requirement.

I am not disagreeing but Thailand makes it possible for foreigners to stay without insurance. Thailand should sort this out by making its visa system work equitably re insurance and stopping IO corrupt interaction with corrupt agents.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Sheryl usually prices private hospitals.  Be kind of hard to spend 5 mill at a gov't hospital.

But if you're at that much of a risk, then maybe you should adjust your living location where healthcare won't effect your loved ones.

I got few baht, but at my age (if emergency), I'm not wasting their inheritance on a couple mediocre years more of hanging around.   Take me home let me die in peace.  Non emergency, and I'm on the next plane out to be a burden on Medicare, use them tax dollars I paid 30 some yrs into.

"adjust your living location", that sounds like code for go home.

Am I, "at that much risk",? My cardio isn't telling me to prepare for the end or to do anything special. But there again, most people who suffer from CAD just drop dead, so who knows.

Medicare, what's that! I'm a Brit where the health care system is in its knees plus Anyway, I will still be chargeable during the first six months, because the NHS is a residency based system, and chargeable at 150% of the price, because I'm expat!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

But there again, most people who suffer from CAD just drop dead, so who knows.

Medicare, what's that! I'm a Brit where the health care system is in its knees plus 

Life's choices ... with any luck, "we'll" just drop dead in our sleep.  Maybe another stent or 2 ????  

But open heart / bypass ... I'll pass at my age, as just a matter of time before something else kraps out.

NHS ... lovely system ????

Medicare is USAs version, for retired & poor people, open to all (retired/poor) and almost free, and have to take you, without expectation of being reimbursed at public hospitals.

The drug plan sucks though, and overpriced.

IF I can make to the states, then I'm saved ... IF ... and IF actually wanting.  As my niece has privileges at a few Philly, PA, USA hospitals.  I would need a long healthy prognosis to even bother, if not ... I'll pass.

I'd rather watch the sunset here with my dog, kid & wife.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Life's choices ... with any luck, "we'll" just drop dead in our sleep.  Maybe another stent or 2 ????  

But open heart / bypass ... I'll pass at my age, as just a matter of time before something else kraps out.

NHS ... lovely system ????

Medicare is USAs version, for retired & poor people, open to all (retired/poor) and almost free, and have to take you, without expectation of being reimbursed at public hospitals.

The drug plan sucks though, and overpriced.

IF I can make to the states, then I'm saved ... IF ... and IF actually wanting.  As my niece has privileges at a few Philly, PA, USA hospitals.  I would need a long healthy prognosis to even bother, if not ... I'll pass.

I'd rather watch the sunset here with my dog, kid & wife.

Exactly, and that was my initial point.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keep Right said:

free loading expats that should never be in Thailand in the first place because of their medical condition. 

Or their financial condition. He should have gone home 3 years ago when he first got diagnosed. My only sympathy falls to the OP for being lumbered with this mess.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are only "expat" if you choose to be so.

Yes, no and sort of!

It's true that in theory you can declare yourself resident on the day of your return as a UK resident. In practise however there are checks and balances in the NHS system which require staff dedicated to determining residency status to find out what the true story is. Items such as consistent spending patterns over time is one factor. Many people come and go for long periods, spending time in both locations. My UK bank account shows clear evidence of UK residency for months at a time, followed by many months/years of nothing, apart from rental income from an agent. My pensions were paid into a UK bank, today they are paid into my Thai bank, I'm not about to reverse that scenario, just because at some future point in time I may want to try and cheat the NHS. And my tenant pays Council Tax at my address, I don't. If I get sick tomorrow and try to return to the UK, just to use the NHS, well, it would be almost impossible since the tenant requires two months notice etc etc.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jimmiejackson said:

This is a very long story so I'll try to keep it short.

Friend is a US citizen, has lived in Thailand about 20 years.

Worked and paid into SSF for at least 10 of those years that I know of. Left one job, got another, job turned out to be a mess, never paid him or his SSF.

This was in 2019 or so, he then got diagnosed with advanced TB.

Through treatment and related complications he hasn't been able to work since and through the support of me, friends and family has been able to keep his head above water just about.

Hasn't been able to travel to US due to requirement of Medivac which he can't afford.

I stopped here, as someone has to point it out. He lost too much, and had no ability to stay and take care of himself. He was in a position to be able to get help from you. He should have asked for plane ticket home, and maybe borrow for meeting US requirements from you and his family.

Instead he choosed to stay dependent on you and your money.  That has led to the situation he is in today. Partly his fault and partly yours.

13 hours ago, jimmiejackson said:

I'm sure there is, although I think the actual ICU cost is around 12,000 a day. The rest is for testing, machinery and various other line items.

The bigger issue I guess is at some point soon we'll run into a brick wall where it doesn't much matter how much the ICU costs because we don't have anything left to pay with.

Because you didn´t send him home from start or stopped give him money. That would have been real help from start.

13 hours ago, dj230 said:

Tell him to take out a loan, put it on a credit card or liquidate his belongings

surely he has assets in excess of 300k baht, house, car, cellphone, laptop, jewellery, gold, etc. 

it sucks what happened but there’s no real easy way to say it other than someone has to pay and it should be him. 

If he had assets, he would not need to depend on another persons economy.

He doesn't unfortunately, I'm sure he did at one point but not working for 3 years has cut him to the bone. He's also barely conscious and on a ventilator so entirely unable to organise anything himself.

So whether or not I like it, I'm in the position of needing to figure it out.

Not your job to figure out. You have done more than enough, but started to do it the wrong way.

He does have very little family and they have agreed to help within their ability but at the rate of $1K+ a day their ability to help won’t get us far and us slamming into a wall of having no more funds is coming up real quick.

I am pretty sure there are some assets there, that can be collateral for the loan they need to take to help a family member.

12 hours ago, jimmiejackson said:

From what I understand the Embassy was contacted before and not interested in helping but I can try again, thanks. 

It´s not the embassy´s job to do that.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the OP should talk to the hospital. For sure it is not the first case for them where a patient cannot pay the bills. And it also needs to be clarified if he can get healthy again. They can keep him alive for a very long time to make money. Does he have other problems that weaken his immune system - medication, liver problems or AIDS for instance. Many people are infected with TB but they don't get sick as long as their immune system is okay. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You need to meet with the hospital administration (senior person) and tell them clearly there are no more funds available to pay his bills and request that they transfer him at once to a government hospital. Make clear in this discussion that you are not related to him and have no legal obligation and that he has no close family in US.

They will arrange transfer once convinced no more money but your problem will be that they may refuse transfer until existing bill is paid. You can try to negotiate a payment agreement over time (monthly payments).

There will still be the problem of paying the government hospital but costs will be about 1/3 to 1/2 that of Camillian.

Thanks to all who replied.

I was hoping Sheryl would respond so thank you for that.

Called the Embassy, they weren't interested in doing anything except informing his family where he was.

Hospital is going around in circles so I've informed his Thai friend of what you suggested and hopefully we can get somewhere with it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jimmiejackson said:

Thanks to all who replied.

I was hoping Sheryl would respond so thank you for that.

Called the Embassy, they weren't interested in doing anything except informing his family where he was.

Hospital is going around in circles so I've informed his Thai friend of what you suggested and hopefully we can get somewhere with it.

The person you want to speak with (who should speak English well) is the Director of Administration. Don't waste time talking at lower levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Completely irrelevant and NOYB.

I'm sorry.  I thought it might be something overlooked by OP.

If he's been in Thailand for 20 years, not working for at least 3, then he's probably on a non-O extension.  With no assets, he wouldn't have an elite visa, so must be either marriage or retirement.

Both of those have financial requirements.  With no incoming pension mentioned, I assumed he must have either 400k or 800k in the bank, enough to cover accrued medical bills and move to a government hospital.

• Like 1