GOP dilemma: If not McCarthy, then who?

Scott

image.png

As House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy has struggled to lock down the votes to become speaker, his top deputy has kept his head down.

Rep. Steve Scalise, the No. 2 in the House GOP leadership, has made clear he supports McCarthy, and GOP sources say he has rejected pleas by hardliners to mount a challenge to the California Republican – all while taking steps to avoid being seen as plotting McCarthy’s demise.

But what is less clear: What Scalise will do if the race continues to drag out on Tuesday and goes to multiple ballots – and whether the Louisiana Republican will seek to maneuver his way into the speaker’s office if the stalemate persists.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/02/politics/mccarthy-floor-fight-steve-scalise/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

Just now, bendejo said:

They can be real nasty when they fight amongst themselves, but they now know that accusations of sex and drugs parties is too far.  When they're at their worst there is this room in the basement they huddle in.  (If you want verification of the room, search for what they were doing prior to Ryan's speakership declaration, there was a lot of running to the room then.)  And they like to say the other side does things in hiding!

Poor McCarthy, Ryan snatched the prize from his hands when Boehner quit, and now he just might get it, but the trophy will be filled with doo-doo.

I think who will end up with the gavel will be someone low-key who has been keeping out of the way and does not wear a red cap.  But I think there is going to be a lot mess.

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"

Until the GOP expunge the freedom party nutjobs and Trump, this is their fate.

15 minutes ago, riclag said:

Mr. Trump endorses Mc to do his bidding ! But all of us America First  fans dont want the rino unless of course he gives in to our demands of having censoring powers,Is it possible to have Tucker Carlson! 

The dems would vote for that. That would kill any chance at all of the GOP getting the independents on side.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, riclag said:

Mr. Trump endorses Mc to do his bidding ! But all of us America First  fans dont want the rino unless of course he gives in to our demands of having censoring powers,Is it possible to have Tucker Carlson! 

Russia First fans would certainly support your choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, mikebike said:

I'm confused. Is the R. I. N. O. the one who was a follower of Ross Perot and his Reform Party, then a Democrat, then an independent, before settling on his ideal marks? Or the the one who has been deeply embedded in the Republican Party for 35 years, since 1987?

Right from the beginning, I thought maybe he's getting them for something that happened long before 2015.  When they were doing the two-tiered GOP debates in 2015, I was watching DT tear into each of them like he was Don Rickles.  I sensed a lot of venom, like he hated them all.  Probably does. 

After the election in 2012, Bobby JIndel (remember him?) said the GOP has to stop being "the party of stupid."  Sorry, Bobby.

11 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Is it possible this could end terrible?

It has been terrible for the GOP since Trump descend the escalator. Trump’s toxicity will continue to poison the party and seeped into every level of party politics. It will be a prolong train wrecked for the speaker position. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With some of the post here I never know if they are real opinions or sarcastic comments. 

It's sad that we (mostly the Americans) are in a situation where that is not obvious anymore.

Sorry but they are real opinions. The brainwashing has been going on for a long time and this is the result. I think it's time for them all to drink the koolaid... 

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With some of the post here I never know if they are real opinions or sarcastic comments. 

It's sad that we (mostly the Americans) are in a situation where that is not obvious anymore.

We Americans do know the real opinions of non Americans. It's so cute.

• Like 1