Driving licence renewal after 5 years of holding permanent licence

I went to the Dept of Land Transport Office Area 1 at Rama 2 today, to renew my 5 yearly driving licence which expires soon. I had already completed the 1 hour e-learning course from the DLT website. Took along my original licence, passport, pink Thai ID, yellow Taabien Baan, medical report. 

The lady at the desk had almost accepted everything, but decided to check with the officer in the back, who insisted I get a letter from my embassy certifying my residence, or from the Immigration office. No amount of convincing that I had the original condo registration title, yellow Taabien Baan, etc and all showed the same address, could change his mind. I thought this proof was needed only for the first application, and renewal would be an easy process. 

The embassy will take another 2-3 days plus a hefty fee. Is it easier to get a residence proof from Immigration at Phayathai Road? What do I need to carry with me there?

Any help/ past experience much appreciated. Thanks. 

In your case I would go to another DLT office (such as DLT Bangchak) that accept the Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address, and save your self the hassle of obtaining Resid-Cert Letter from Immigration. However for Bangchak you'll need to make an appointment, unsure about others but I believe that DLT Mo Chit there is a quota of Foreigner renewals of 20 per day that fills up quickly (NB: my info is a year old - not recent).

If you decide to persevere with DLT Rama 2 then you'll need the Immigration office that you have filed your 90 day reports to issue the Resid-Cert Letter (should be CW and not Phayathai?). Unsure about the Embassy Letter as my Embassy doesn't certify addresses.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

Phayathai Road?

If you stay in Bangkok, only Chaengwattana Immigration Office can issue a Residence Cert.

It is sent by post to your address, usually takes 7-10 days

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

If you stay in Bangkok, only Chaengwattana Immigration Office can issue a Residence Cert.

It is sent by post to your address, usually takes 7-10 days

The officer at DLT office gave me the address of Immigration at 319, Chamchuri Bldg, 18th Floor Phayathai Road. He had a laminated plastic sheet to show to everyone. 

Anyway I'll try there tomorrow and if not then go to the Indian embassy (sigh!). They'll ask for 3 days and charge me a 1000 baht + to do it.

1 hour ago, mark5335 said:

In your case I would go to another DLT office (such as DLT Bangchak) that accept the Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address, and save your self the hassle of obtaining Resid-Cert Letter from Immigration. However for Bangchak you'll need to make an appointment, unsure about others but I believe that DLT Mo Chit there is a quota of Foreigner renewals of 20 per day that fills up quickly (NB: my info is a year old - not recent).

If you decide to persevere with DLT Rama 2 then you'll need the Immigration office that you have filed your 90 day reports to issue the Resid-Cert Letter (should be CW and not Phayathai?). Unsure about the Embassy Letter as my Embassy doesn't certify addresses.

I tried that DLT queue app to get an appointment, it's a terribly user unfriendly app to use. Gave up after an hour of trying. 

2 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

No amount of convincing that I had the original condo registration title, yellow Taabien Baan, etc and all showed the same address, could change his mind. I thought this proof was needed only for the first application, and renewal would be an easy process. 

I was issued renewals after 2 years and subsequently after 5 years (in 2022) based on yellow tabien baan. no residence certificate was demanded.

assume this varies from DLT offices

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

but he was adamant.

Put his foot in it but didn't want to lose face, (ego).

Welcome to the land of smiles, asked my wife one day when we were on holidays why everyone smiled so much after I spoke with them, her reply was because they don't understand you darling and they don't want to lose face, appears to be a phenomenon. 

Good luck sorting it, can't say that I don't feel for yah.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

All for two bits of plastic, saying you can drive and ride, just like the Thais do.

what a laugh this place is. :stoner:

went along with the gf to renew her license, if i'd know the what a kerfuffle it would be id' have given it a miss. hanging around for queue after queue, people everywhere; sitting, eating, sleeping... back home apply online from the comfort of my home, 10 year license and only £14. that's how it's done. (so much for digital thailand)

• Haha 1

Most do have the plastic but do not know the road rules. I live up north in a small city. They have just create a small round about at a big intersection. They have signs how to use it. This woman on a motorbike wanted to turn right but wanted to do it without going around the roundabout.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

319, Chamchuri Bldg, 18th Floor Phayathai Road

Its only for those individuals who hold BOI (Board of Investment) visa.

One Stop Service (BOI)

Queue cards are accepted from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Staff are still available during business hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information, call 0-2209-1100 or call 1111.
Subdivision 3, Immigration Division 1, Office of Chamchuri Square Building (Service Center for Visas and Work Permits)

You can contact us for services:
– Requesting to stay in the Kingdom
– Receiving a 90-day residence notification
– Requesting a visa
– Requesting to re-enter the Kingdom again Re-Entry

The service is completed at one point (One Stop Service)  for special laws as follows:

immigration law
Petroleum Law
investment law
Law on Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/one-stop-service-boi/

So I went early morning to DLT Bangchak today; and would you believe, the lady there says since my residence falls under area 1 (which is at the DLT at Rama 2), they would do it with just the yellow Taabien Baan; but at Bangchak they would definitely need a residence certificate. So I hightailed it to the embassy finally and they'll give me a certificate of residence in 2 days and then I go back to the Rama 2 DLT place.

I recently renewed my driving licence in India, completely online, uploaded my medical etc, paid the fee by card, delivered to my home by courier in 3 days.

Three areas in Thailand:  Immigration, Banking, and stuff like driving licence etc, they are Soooo far behind India, it's a joke. Here, for almost anything slightly out of the way, go to your home branch bank. Any old statement etc - pay money. 

On 1/4/2023 at 8:30 AM, captpkapoor said:

So I went early morning to DLT Bangchak today; and would you believe, the lady there says since my residence falls under area 1 (which is at the DLT at Rama 2), they would do it with just the yellow Taabien Baan; but at Bangchak they would definitely need a residence certificate. So I hightailed it to the embassy finally and they'll give me a certificate of residence in 2 days and then I go back to the Rama 2 DLT place.

I recently renewed my driving licence in India, completely online, uploaded my medical etc, paid the fee by card, delivered to my home by courier in 3 days.

I can't believe it's been so complicated for you. I have a 2yr car licence which is up for renewal, have things changed so much in the last 2yrs. Normally it's a trip to Saiyok city hall with the wife's house book to get a letter then to kanchanaburi to renew, in and out usually within 1½hrs with my new licence in my hand.