6,992 cases of drunk driving in Thailand over New Year holidays, 263 deaths

webfact

image.jpeg
File photo

By Online Reporter 

There were almost 7,000 cases of drunk driving in Thailand during the six days of the New Year holidays, according to Probation Department director-general Weerakit Hanparipan.

Mr Weerakit said courts ordered probation for 6,992 drunk-driving cases from Dec 29, 2022, to Jan 3, 2023, which accounted for 96.08% of the 7,277 cases ordered during the same period.

There were also 15 cases of reckless driving (0.21% of the total cases) and 270 cases of driving under narcotic influences (3.71%).

The three provinces which accounted for most drunk driving cases were Roi-et (427), Nonthaburi (318) and Samut Prakan (252).

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/6992-cases-of-drunk-driving-in-thailand-over-new-year-holidays-263-deaths/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2023-01-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

In Total, 2,201 Road Accidents and 282 Deaths Recorded During Six Days of Thailand’s ‘New Year’s Seven Days of Danger’
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) today (January 4th) reported a total of 239 road accidents, with 259 injuries and 15 deaths, on the sixth day yesterday (January 3rd) of the ‘New Year’s Seven Days of Danger’ road accidents campaign.

Accidents were mostly caused by excessive speeding (38.49 percent), followed by drunk driving (24.27 percent). About 82.73 percent of the accidents involved motorcycles.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/01/04/in-total-2201-road-accidents-and-282-deaths-recorded-during-six-days-of-thailands-new-years-seven-days-of-danger/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-01-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

There were almost 7,000 cases of drunk driving in Thailand during the six days of the New Year holidays, according to Probation Department director-general Weerakit Hanparipan

Did anyone expect anything different.

Booze, vehicles & bikes.. welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

365 days a year 

those are tasked to deal with it - are the worst 

3rd world 

Not that I disagree with your comment but this is something that all of Thai society needs to tackle.

I remain astonished, especially given the amount of 'propaganda' peddled via various media channels, that the government/ministries find it difficult to develop national educational campaigns on several key national public behaviour issues, drink driving being one of these. If you can start to challenge and change the mindset and start making it a socially unacceptable behaviour, then you might see some improvements. 

Of course, as we see in wider day-to-day society and the generally lax law enforcement, telling someone what to do or receiving such guidance rarely goes down well in Thailand. Until this aspect of the Thai collective psyche develops, I think it will continue to be difficult...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

when driving drunk, thais rely on buddha for protection, i've been told. so if there are so many accidents, it's budda's fault, i guess.

Buddah decided to get a taxi.......

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

one problem is the majority that would need strict fines being imposed are those that have zero money to pay massive fines anyway - so it doesn't work.

Yes it does.

Go to jail then. and still pay the fine latter

Ps they always have money for gas/derv, food, new phone and booze,  the true poor Thai,  does not have a motor vehicle.

BTW,  whats your fix for the situation on the roads 

I'm not just talking about drunk driving.?

Edited by Orinoco

11 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

when driving drunk, thais rely on buddha for protection, i've been told. so if there are so many accidents, it's budda's fault, i guess.

Of course, and also they believe in more than one life, unlike the farang.

Mistake, it must be most of the farangs.

Edited by Peterphuket

11 hours ago, Orinoco said:

+1.

But the Thai's, need to want, to change.

They don't. they just don't care on,  so many issues.

I think the only thing that can change them,  with there attitude to driving and riding on the roads. is to smash them, so hard in the pocket,  it becomes, a real must,  to behave on the roads, as they just can't afford,  not to.

Money number one in Thailand.

But they got probation.  96%?