Thailand’s Proposal for Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Proof Angers and Panics International Travelers

webfact

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Unfortunately, just a proposal for now  ???? ???? ????

Yes, has always been just a proposal.

Don't believe all the Thai headlines you read.

27 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

In the last 6 months i have traveled out of Thailand 2 times, once to Jakarta, Indonesia and once to Singapore. On check in to go back to Thailand I was asked, both times,  to show proof of vaccination?

Has something changed?

Must have been local rules in said countries. 6 weeks ago from UK to TL i was not required to show proof of vax.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

In the last 6 months i have traveled out of Thailand 2 times, once to Jakarta, Indonesia and once to Singapore. On check in to go back to Thailand I was asked, both times,  to show proof of vaccination?

Has something changed?

In the last 6 months I have been to the US and then Singapore.  I was never asked for proof of vaccination when i came back to Thailand. I was only asked to show my vaccine certificate by the airlines when I checked in with Singapore Airlines and then Scoot Air.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, garygooner said:

Many people received their last vaccine or booster more than a year ago. I guess that is still better than unvaccinated?  ????

I got a booster months ago.  Although it was in the US and with the Bivalent Vaccine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In the last 6 months I have been to the US and then Singapore.  I was never asked for proof of vaccination when i came back to Thailand. I was only asked to show my vaccine certificate by the airlines when I checked in with Singapore Airlines and then Scoot Air.  

Exactly same in my case! It must be just an airline policy, I flew Singapore Airlines too! Got to Thailand no checks whatsoever!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, garygooner said:

Many people received their last vaccine or booster more than a year ago. I guess that is still better than unvaccinated?  ????

Not even sure about that..... efficacy was supposed to diminish over time for some of the vaccinations....6 months  was mentioned for Pfizer and Moderna before another dose was needed. (Original  Covid).

• Like 1

Thailand’s first case of COVID-19 XAY.2 variant has been diagnosed and has been reported to GISAID, Dr. Supakit Sirilak, director-general of Medical Science Department, said today (Friday).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-detects-its-first-case-of-covid-19-xay-2-variant/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Has something changed?

It was scrapped 1st of October 2022.

If you entered afterwards and still was being asked, the check-in-worker was just uninformed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, geisha said:

A British doctor in China (on tv a few days ago) said that there were enormous numbers of Covid infections and that doctors and hospitals were overflowing . Now if this happens again, in Thailand or the other third world countries, there’s a lot of misery to come. Haven’t we learnt from the past 3 years ? Do we really need another serious Covid epidemic?  And is it really so bad to insist on vaccinations ( the new ones ) and testing for travelers ? ( obviously not for people who cannot for medical reasons). Doesn’t bother me one bit. 

The 'proposal' is just for proof of vaccination and Covid insurance. There's been no suggestion about bringing back testing!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Has something changed?

Since April I’ve been in and out 6 times never been asked once, I’ve got a vaccine passport but never used it.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

Since April I’ve been in and out 6 times never been asked once, I’ve got a vaccine passport but never used it.

Apparently its the airline that's asking for it? I was on Singapore airlines. In Thailand nobody checked nothing

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:
21 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Has something changed?

This would have been an airline specific policy or perhaps an Indonesia/Singapore policy. Thailand did not require it.

Correct. Last June, AirAsia required to see my vaccination status at Don Muang for a flight to Kota Kinabalu via KL. A week later, I had to register online with the Singaporean health authorities 72-hours ahead of my AirAsia flight from Kota Kinabalu to Singapore. Immigration at Changi specifically asked to see my vaccination proof but not for my friend who had just arrived from KL.

After the way that China has been treating it's citizens over Covid this last three years, including welding the entrances to tower blocks shut to prevent citizens going out, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these future tourists will be planning a one way trip and applying to stay.

Many of them already own apartments here in Thailand and other countries that they previously rented out through Airbnb. So they already have a base 

One would think that in the interest of safety, the current epidemic racing through the country and the huge numbers infected, China itself would understand the need for other countries to impose certain restrictions on it travelling citizens. Why the outrage?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1