“You buffalo!” How this animal became an insult in Thai

webfact

image.png

A water buffalo cools down in a pond in the Ancient City Heritage Park in Samut Prakan on December 9, 2020. (Photo by Mladen ANTONOV / AFP)

“Ai Kwai!!!” literally translated as “you buffalo”, as in “you idiot”, is one of the most common insults in the Thai language.

In light of a recent controversy, where the permanent secretary of Thailand’s Interior Ministry called his subordinate “as stupid as a buffalo”, have we ever wondered why we have to use a buffalo to signify people’s stupidity, rather than other animals?

– Meaning of being a “buffalo”-

Buffaloes have always been part of Thai people’s livelihoods, especially in rural areas, where agriculture is the dominant industry. Being called a “buffalo”, however, is considered very offensive by many Thais, almost as extreme as being called a “monitor lizard”, equivalent to dropping the f-bomb.

According to an article by the Department of Cultural Promotion, buffaloes are described as large animals which do not resist people when they are used for ploughing rice fields or are being dragged around by their owner.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/you-buffalo-how-this-animal-became-an-insult-in-thai/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

So you can cal someone and idiot you can cheer Hitler  where t shirst the F you in full or other derogatory things but you can not call them a Buffalo.

The bottomline is that the guy berated an employee that had a polipsy education BA for not knowing about economics.  Hell I would be willing to be that a lot of the econ grads could not have answered it.

They guy was out of line no matter what he said.  Would they have been less upset if he had called him an idiot or stupid in front of others.

The employee lost face and someone that wanted to make somethingout of it and get revenge used the buffalo.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

In light of a recent controversy, where the permanent secretary of Thailand’s Interior Ministry called his subordinate “as stupid as a buffalo”, have we ever wondered why we have to use a buffalo to signify people’s stupidity, rather than other animals?

In the west "a fat cow" is often heard in verbal domestic disputes.

8 hours ago, Shop mak said:

'hiii' (high tone)

'at' (low tone)

Say thay to any Thai, and expect a instant knock-down, Mike Tyson style.

Both words should never be used by a foreigner to a Thai, unless you have death wish.

Tell me about it!!!!!

I'm at a festival and I just booked a room at the HYATT.    I screamed to everyone, hey I'm staying at the Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiat.

luckily I'm Chuck Norris.  

when a teacher back in the day, TONS Of kids would call their friends a buffalo and there was never one fight.   But whatever, it's fun to imagine one word can have this affect.

Edited by BananaStrong
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Buffalo (TH: kwai) often hear in daily life during heated arguments, a medium strong insult, from my observations. Often  result in fist fight.

TH: hiii-at is a much bigger insult in Thailand.

'hiii' (high tone)

'at' (low tone)

Say thay to any Thai, and expect a instant knock-down, Mike Tyson style.

Both words should never be used by a foreigner to a Thai, unless you have death wish.

Funny when women often write buffalo/ kwai to a foreigner online, usually when she don't get her way, or you caught her lying.

Add-on,  

Also when getting her way is so easy.???? every lie she tells is sucked up like a vacuum cleaner.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

large animals which do not resist people when they are used for ploughing rice fields or are being dragged around by their owner.

So what is so bad about that?   555  Seems quite complimentary to me.

"Therefore, buffaloes are often compared to people who submissively follow other people’s orders (what they are taught to do at school), and are often being fooled or taken advantage of."

....Sounds like an accurate description of most Thais working for their Chinese/Thai employers.

"buffaloes can be described as kind and loyal to humans, working tirelessly for their owners, people (Thais) tend to regard this kind of behaviour as being stupid."

....Explains everything! And why (most)Thais make notoriously bad employees.

Edited by SunsetT

Interesting thing to know.

My first thought of a buffalo is "strong and dependable" not to mention a source of wealth through milk and working of fields.

Never really thought of monitor lizards beyond the fact that they're... "monitor lizards".

While some have made reference to the cow terminology in English the reference to being bullish (as opposed to a bully) in English is not derogatory.

A strange thing... language