BREAKING: Thailand issues NEW Covid entry requirements effective January 9th.

Social Media

2 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

No need anymore.

https://thai.news/news/thailand/urgent-covid-19-update-for-inbound-travelers-to-thailand-part-two

If you are unvaccinated you can simply take a test upon arrival, and from what we are hearing they will not be testing all unvaccinated arrivals, and instead spot checking.

So really just a lot of fuss about nothing!  Carry on...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So really just a lot of fuss about nothing!  Carry on...

But to late as a friend who was coming canceled and rearranged her travel and her training.  Such a screwed up situation 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

Thanks, he is flying. China Airline and they have no notifications.  The ThaiAirways link is likely very up to date and seems to confirm to me what I want to know:  a physical card as is commonly used in the USA is sufficient evidence.  

6 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Thanks, he is flying. China Airline and they have no notifications.  The ThaiAirways link is likely very up to date and seems to confirm to me what I want to know:  a physical card as is commonly used in the USA is sufficient evidence.  

Note things are still changing - latest being those without vaccinations can fly now with possibly a test on landing - so keep an eye on the situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

What about tourists already in the country?  Have friends that showed up 8 days ago planning to stay for 90 days.  Do they now need to run out and get Covid health insurance?

No, they're already in-country, why do you think restrictions on new arrivals affect them?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2023 at 4:22 AM, RichardColeman said:

So, basically none of us need insurance unless flying to countries requiring testing. I'm ok with jus flashing my vaccine cards - but you just know they will soon try to cash in on it.

We just had a pandemic. Get medical insurance.

3 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

No need anymore.

https://thai.news/news/thailand/urgent-covid-19-update-for-inbound-travelers-to-thailand-part-two

If you are unvaccinated you can simply take a test upon arrival, and from what we are hearing they will not be testing all unvaccinated arrivals, and instead spot checking.

Off to a sports hall to sleep on a bed made of cardboard for any arrival testing positive ?... or sent to isolate in a 100,000 baht SHA++ quarantine hotel ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

No need anymore.

One question remains: If tested positive upon arrival, is it going to be Quarantaine again? If not Quarantaine, what would they do with "infected persons"?

Surely, the next decision the Thais will have to face. I am on the edge of my seat. What will they come up with? No Quarantaine, but forcing every infected person to wear at-shirt, stating: "I am infected, stay away from me"?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gday

Last week flight to Seoul carrying 109 chinese 60 % were infected . They went straight into quarantine. Before italia Milan 2 flights from china 50 % infected. 

Now thailand 15 flights per day with 3000 what will be the infections rate?

China right now an infection mess.

Wbr

Roobaa01

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

No need anymore.

Simply taking a test upon arrival depends upon being able to board the plane to begin with.  The airline will be allowing or denying boarding going by the way the regulation is worded, and that may be a problem right now.

Right now, the IATA website says:

Passengers must have a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated with .(snip list of vaccines).. at least 14 days before departure.

This does not apply to passengers with a COVID-19 recovery certificate showing that they recovered at least 7 days and at most 180 days before departure.

Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.) or India must have insurance to cover COVID-19 expenses (minimum coverage of USD 10,000). The insurance must cover duration of stay in Thailand plus 7 days.

There is no longer any specific mention of unvaccinated.  So unless this changes, the airlines will most likely not allow unvaccinated to board.  There used to be an additional section saying that unvaccinated passengers must have a PCR or Professional rapid test within 72 hours prior to boarding.  Now there is no additional section on unvaccinated at all.  It should say unvaccinated passengers are allowed, but are subject to test upon arrival.  Then there will be no confusion.  Certain airlines are much more meticulous than others.

Someone will have to 

12 minutes ago, Carmine6 said:

There is no longer any specific mention of unvaccinated.

Because they are running behind. Even yesterday they had "No restrictions" (have to say I was surprised at how slow they where at updating) while airlines had already updated, no doubt they will amend it soon.

Edited by Salerno

12 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Because they are running behind. Even yesterday they had "No restrictions" (have to say I was surprised at how slow they where at updating) while airlines had already updated, no doubt they will amend it soon.

Correct, it takes time for the airlines to update their procedures, some are faster than others? But if a passenger happens to try to check in  on airline that does not have the latest information, it could be problematic?

8 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Correct, it takes time for the airlines to update their procedures, some are faster than others? But if a passenger happens to try to check in  on airline that does not have the latest information, it could be problematic?

No doubt there will be a few hissy fits thrown in the next couple of days and the poor buggers behind the check-in desk copping the brunt of it. But, individual airlines should have the current info as they are contacted direct.

IATA is an excellent resource but it is an association therefore it can be expected to be a few hours slower than an actual airline. The main problem is getting the info out to the punters in good time - not something that is possible with the speed of the flip flopping IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

We have had multiple reports of airlines not understand the actual rules, and telling unvaccinated travelers they would not be able to make their trips.

Please confirm with your airline to be safe before flying.

Without wanting to single out the Chinese travelers like other countries, and without giving this any real thought, Thailands Government is to blame for the issues created for travelers coming from any place other than China. With that said many folks planned there trips months ago and not at the last minute based upon work scheduling etc...

Thailands government and this rehashed Covid requirement roll out, which now includes all and everyone was done so as to not single out China. They are now responsible for the losses of those travelers.  Wonder If any had travel insurance which will cover the losses or if they will be able to rebook since the airlines followed the new rules put in place only 48hours or less before may were kept of the flights for not meeting the now  needed requirements.

Total idiotic behavior by a flip flopping government in my view.

Please shed some light:

"swab on arrival" - what exactly is it: PCR or ATK?
Who will pay for the test?

If PCR is not immediate than what? Sit in the corner?

If test (any) yields false positive what would be next?

and why insurance reduced to $10K from $100K? Thai medical care improved 10 folds?

[not being sarcastic, these are questions friends are asking]

1 minute ago, NativeBob said:

Please shed some light:

"swab on arrival" - what exactly is it: PCR or ATK?
Who will pay for the test?

If PCR is not immediate than what? Sit in the corner?

If test (any) yields false positive what would be next?

and why insurance reduced to $10K from $100K? Thai medical care improved 10 folds?

[not being sarcastic, these are questions friends are asking]

(just an opinion) - I suspect this has been though through so poorly that the ‘update’ to include swab on arrival (which I suspect will be ATK) is a face saving back-pedal to appease the tourists as there has already been 2000 cancellations (reportedly flights and hotel bookings cancelled).

The practical implications and ‘what ifs’ regarding testing and positive results are potentially quite convoluted... thus - I imagine ‘spot tests’ of non-vaccinated passengers will be announced, in reality no one will be tested because no one wants to deal with the consequences because no one has considered what to do IF the tests are positive.

As previously (under lock down) what happened IF someone tested positive for Covid, where they would go to quarantine, who would pay etc was extremely muddy - there was no clear information and only varying reports of what happened.. it seemed there was no consistent well thought out policy, it seems there still isn’t. 

Thus: What will happen... IMO - this will slowly quiet and forgotten by the media, classified as another Anutin balls up... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@richard_smith237 Thanks! Crystal clear now, but:

Airline X told its customers/passengers-to-be there's no worry and "if no cert" than THB200 PCR on arrival.

That sounds very doubtful: PCR is quite more expensive for start and even Antigen Test Kit doubtfully would be that cheap.

What is your opinion?

Edited by NativeBob