This year I am turning 50

Celsius

23 hours ago, Celsius said:

I have nightmares about this. The age I used to laugh at everyone and think how smelly they are. Karma.

Are there any actual advantages to turning 50. I kno in Thailand that automatically turns me into a handsome man, but is there anything else I should look forward to?

I turned 50 in Thailand 13 years ago... live your life as you did the first 50 and stop worrying about it.

49 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I noticed my knees are getting 'old'. While only a few years ago I could walk and hike all day, now it seems hard to do this for only a few hours, esp. if it involves steep places or those with many steps.

Well thats it, you can eat healthy, but you really can't stop 'wear n tear' and it really kicks in at 60+

Pull a muscle at the gym, and 20 odd years ago you'd shake it off and be up and running in a day or two, now it's like f&^**&*k Doc gimme some pain pills.

Knees another sh&^&tty thing. I've noticed those on the decline, but as immortal as we all once were, stuff just wears out sooner or later.

I'm mid 60's and pretty fit for my age, but I certainly see the writing on the wall!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don’t worry I’m 72 years young next month and still in full working order the massage Lady who comes to my house on a weekly basis for the last year can vouch for that . I have to tell her to stop screaming with pleasure as I worry what my next door neighbours are thinking . Happy Days !  Live today as your Last Day as none of us know what tomorrow brings .

Edited by crazykopite
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:25 AM, Celsius said:

anything else I should look forward to?

You think too much. Just sit and relax in boat of life. You will be called "Hansom" by every island that you passing thru  Isn't it great ?!!!! ???? Just don't get stuck in any island. I was and still feel stupid????, even though I am really handsome.????

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

I have to tell her to stop screaming with pleasure as I worry what my next door neighbours are thinking .

LOL. Reminds me of the time I had crossed into Johor Baru in the 70s and was staying at an hotel there for a weekend. Heard a woman screaming and thought she was being murdered. I was very innocent in those days.

In later years I was staying in a Pattaya hotel and heard a screamer a few floors above through an open window. I not only knew what it was, but I was quite envious. Live and learn.

You will start to notice that you know some dead people of your own age finally. As you go through life, at first older people start to die, then people the same age, then finally younger people, then you.

Also, 50 is the start of needing a "wake up at 300am pee".

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Speak for yourself1

being 50 for me meant I could afford Thailand and all it offered. I certainly took advantage of that.

But I bet you were hornier when you were 20, 30 or 40 years old. 

That doesn't mean 50-year-old guys don't do it anymore, certainly they do. But younger guys need it a lot more often.

7 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

all exercise at 50 is half what it was at 20, but at 60 it will really approach zero levels.  This means you will look old to everyone.  lol.

Zero? That's up 2 you. Looking but more important feeling younger than you are, delaying the onset of morbidity, is certainly desirable. Health > vanity

image.png.ee06d8e89c7dac596c78fd3e916a8ccf.png

Ran across @joeoldlifter on Twitter the other day. Retired Canadian engineer at 75:

image.png.155586c67a8b145f3a8b9eda27bc713f.png

Better to start strength training and a higher protein diet early to slow the loss of muscle mass as you age. 50's a good age, as around then the loss increases at a faster rate.

Benefits of strength training: Bending the Aging Curve graph

Joseph Signorile, Bending the Aging Curve

More on this here.

Many start to suffer the usual chronic diseases in their 50s owing to poor metabolic health and begin the chase for docs and meds. Doesn't have to be that way.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

50 means, IF you are in amazing shape, you have 10 more productive years of your life.  maximum.  all exercise at 50 is half what it was at 20, but at 60 it will really approach zero levels.  This means you will look old to everyone.  lol.

The guys i know are extremely fit in 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, even 80s, marathon runners, triathletes and iron men amongst them. I'm the fittest I've ever been at 53

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That doesn't mean 50-year-old guys don't do it anymore, certainly they do. But younger guys need it a lot more often.

I enjoy sex more in my 40s and 50s than i did in 20s and 30s, the reason is variety of women and no condom, but i agree I'm less horny than 20s and 30s

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The difference from then and now, I can still do it more than one time, it is not about that, it is about the quality sex that matters now, and not any available now and now. Need a little bit more flavor to it, and time. 

Before 3-7 times a day, now max 3. Maybe 4 on a good day, but not often and not every day

Edited by Hummin

51 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Zero? That's up 2 you. Looking but more important feeling younger than you are, delaying the onset of morbidity, is certainly desirable. Health > vanity

image.png.ee06d8e89c7dac596c78fd3e916a8ccf.png

Ran across @joeoldlifter on Twitter the other day. Retired Canadian engineer at 75:

image.png.155586c67a8b145f3a8b9eda27bc713f.png

Better to start strength training and a higher protein diet early to slow the loss of muscle mass as you age. 50's a good age, as around then the loss increases at a faster rate.

Benefits of strength training: Bending the Aging Curve graph

Joseph Signorile, Bending the Aging Curve

More on this here.

Many start to suffer the usual chronic diseases in their 50s owing to poor metabolic health and begin the chase for docs and meds. Doesn't have to be that way.

Trt ++

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I also have been here since 22 yrs old, currently in my 40’s... and am of a very similar mindset.

I’d be nice to have a house here and the UK... Summers in the UK, winters in Thailand. 

One of the concerns I have is medical care - If I want decent medical care in Thailand its going to become very costly... the balance of course is that medical care in the UK is becoming rather awful... they’re good a keeping you alive, but not so good at getting you that knee or hip operations quickly (the bloke across the road from my folks has needed a knee op for over 2 years - he’s unable to leave the house alone...  Thats just a road to the end... he’d otherwise be walking his dog, meeting others in the community, driving to his clubs etc.

I’d say good medical care take a strong priority in many choices... but as does standard of living...

Is the standard of living better in Thailand ??...   it can be cheaper, but I’m not sure about a better standard unless we are still paying western prices.

Damn, if he had a spare 10 grand lying around, he could probably get that knee fixed in Thailand.

1 minute ago, 2009 said:

Damn, if he had a spare 10 grand lying around, he could probably get that knee fixed in Thailand.

The OP should be sure to work a couple of years at a company or institution that provides Thai SS. Then, upon leaving, keep up the modest payments for free healthcare & meds for life at Thai gov't hsps. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The OP should be sure to work a couple of years at a company or institution that provides Thai SS. Then, upon leaving, keep up the modest payments for free healthcare & meds for life at Thai gov't hsps. 

Yup, that's a good one.

You only have to work 6 months though ????

14 minutes ago, 2009 said:

What do you think is more beneficial to health as you age and why: weight training, stretching, or cardio?

Personally id say weight training - the average male over the age of 40 loses an average of 6% muscle per yr . Without strength one cannot walk ,stand up or even have sex . Like someone else said previously weight training increases testosterone and hgh . 

1 minute ago, greg71 said:

Personally id say weight training - the average male over the age of 40 loses an average of 6% muscle per yr . Without strength one cannot walk ,stand up or even have sex . Like someone else said previously weight training increases testosterone and hgh . 

Seriously? Can't stand? Or walk?