Long term visa questions

Hi, 

My situation is that I work freelance for several clients doing SEO work, through an invoicing company in my home country. This means I can basically stay wherever in the world, and I arrived in Thailand in september 2022 after 3 years of covid, with a 60 day tourist visa. After that I did a 45 day stamp border bounce, and am now going to extend with 30 days. The problem is that I am looking to find a visa that fits me in the long run, since I have already experienced questioning about staying "too long" in Thailand with tourist visas during 2019.

Also, since I only earn around 1,2 million baht per year its very hard to find a suitable category. The business visa option is very expensive for me, and so is the elite visa. I am also not eligible for the retirement visa for another 10 years. Another option I have thought about is to start my own company here as I could invoice my clients from Thailand and pay tax here instead, but as far as I know that requires me to employ thai staff which I cant afford. 

I have also been thinking about studying thai, since I can work half days most weekdays, and then study in the afternoons. The problem with that is that the visa is only for 12 months, after which I will be back in the same situation. If anyone has some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the wall of text!

2 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

Also, since I only earn around 1,2 million baht per year its very hard to find a suitable category.

Most foreigners that I know, see one of those visa agents, they have lots of answers and charge about 20,000 baht per year which gives you a years stay, they also do your 90 day reporting for you.

Just saying, although due to you being under 50 years of age, you might have to marry a Thai lady ?

OP, at least you did your homework.

You mention PE elite visa.

At 40 that could have been an option. 

You state that you can't afford that.

You could obtain ED visa but thats a pinch hit for a year or so.

There is no visa that meets your needs. 

4 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

I have also been thinking about studying thai, since I can work half days most weekdays, and then study in the afternoons. The problem with that is that the visa is only for 12 months, after which I will be back in the same situation. If anyone has some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

As you have plenty of time, how about studying at a Thai university? It removes the 1 year restriction and other hassles that come with studying at an informal (language) school. You could use that time to save up money for the Elite visa, while staying in Thailand legally.

But yes, quite a lot of work, so I guess it depends on whether you'd enjoy studying. 

This is 100,000 baht a month.

20 year elite visa is still 1 million  baht. 5 year a much worse value at 600,000 baht.

You don't have that much money saved after making 1.2 mil a year?

Live like a cheap Charlie for a year or two and save money. The education visa and agents will cost almost the same long term and it just adds stress and headache to your stay depending on other people to do the job.

• Like 1

Instead of an ED Visa, did you consider looking for a Teaching Visa.  When you are fluent in english and preferably also have teaching credentials, you might find a school in Thailand looking for an English-language teacher.  Just do a search on English Language Teaching Assignments in Thailand, to find agencies that have teaching opportunities.  On top of the 12-month Visa you will also get relatively well-paid for your time .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Get yourself a proper job, with 10 weeks leave a year. And then retire here when your pension amounts to 80000  USD a year so that you get an LTR.

Not so difficult, I did it.

He has a proper job, one that allows him to go where he wants. Just because it doesnt pay vast amounts doesnt make it any different. Its choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, jimn said:

He has a proper job, one that allows him to go where he wants. Just because it doesnt pay vast amounts doesnt make it any different. Its choice.

First, where did I mention "vast amounts". But my point is that there is now a confusingly wide range of possibilities that are offered to stay here long term, and people still come here for ideas to stretch the system. Strange.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it. I will look into studying in a university, might be an option as long as its not a very high pace.

Regarding marriage, that is not something that is in the near future with my gf, as of yet at least :)

I asked a visa agent about my options and they have a business visa for 65k + 35k for the initial 3 months, so 100k in total for 15 months which is way too much imo.

I have also enquired about invoicing through a company in TH, but they want 30 % of every invoice i create. 

So all in all, not the easiest situation at all. Im guessing i can play russian roulette with tourist visas for a while, but it would be preferable to get a  bank account etc here, which isnt the easiest on a tourist visa.

And lastly, I love my job and I am trying to grow my business slowly but steadily to create more income. And yes, it is a choice :)

Edited by raz0r21
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

First, where did I mention "vast amounts". But my point is that there is now a confusingly wide range of possibilities that are offered to stay here long term, and people still come here for ideas to stretch the system. Strange.

I didnt say you did. I was refering to his job being low paid with no pension, which was obviously why you mentioned it. The world has changed. As long as he is not a burden on the state, what is the issue.

9 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

OP - why not consider living 1/2 the time in VN, Cambodia or Loas for a couple of years while you save and grow your client base? Your gf can get to these places and they don't have the visa restrictions/costs. Just spitballin' :wai:

Yeah I have considered this. I have also thought of returning home for a few months per year, which should solve the issue as I am spending time outside of Thailand. Its just the amount of stamps that can add up and become a problem since I had that issue during 2019.