Corona "Over-Vaccination" ???

swissie

29 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Thank you for this.  I wanted to get a second bivalent booster shot before my trip to Thailand the end of this month.  (I had my first bivalent (5th Moderna) last Sept, before my last trip.)  The pharmacist wouldn't give it me.  She said the CDC (I'm in NYC) didn't recommend it.    I called the CDC for clarification but so far they haven't gotten back to me.

4 hours ago, swissie said:

- Is there something like "Over-Vaccination" with regard to Corona?

Could be, Corona is a pretty good beer but too much is never a good thing. As for covid vaccinations there is a hospital less than 5 minutes away which will give me a booster, my last a bivalent was 5 months back. I have never heard of them refusing anyone. Still when creating OP's, hospitals will do anything you type.
Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

OP's reasoning is a bit faulty in 2 respects:

1. Protection against death or severe illness does not go to zero after 4 or 6 or whatever months. It seems to last quite a while. As covid is just 3 years old, nobody really knows. 

Protection against infection does go to zero within 4-6 months.  You can be infected,  but won't get very sick. 

There are 2 kinds of immunity:  humoral (by antibodies) and cellular (by T-cells). 

Antibodies can easily be measured,  you can measure the overall quantity and you can measure the neutralizing antibodies. 9 months after my 4th antigen contact (3 vaccines,  1 infection) I checked both,  the results were very good. So I decided to wait with the next vaccination.  Vejthani Hospital, 2500 B. Camillian Hospital cannot check neutralizing antibodies, only quantitative antibodies,  900 baht. 

T-cells are not routinely measured.  But even if antibodies are low, T-cells is what gives you long lasting immunity ("memory cells").

2. Yes, there is something like "over-vaccination". Your immune system can get used to the antigen (ie the virus or it's  parts) and not react anymore.  This happens easier if vaccinations came in quick succession.  4 months is the absolute minimum. 

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

1. Protection against death or severe illness does not go to zero after 4 or 6 or whatever months. It seems to last quite a while. As covid is just 3 years old, nobody really knows. 

Protection against infection does go to zero within 4-6 months.  You can be infected,  but won't get very sick. 

There are 2 kinds of immunity:  humoral (by antibodies) and cellular (by T-cells). 

Antibodies can easily be measured,  you can measure the overall quantity and you can measure the neutralizing antibodies. 9 months after my 4th antigen contact (3 vaccines,  1 infection) I checked both,  the results were very good. So I decided to wait with the next vaccination.  Vejthani Hospital, 2500 B. Camillian Hospital cannot check neutralizing antibodies, only quantitative antibodies,  900 baht. 

T-cells are not routinely measured.  But even if antibodies are low, T-cells is what gives you long lasting immunity ("memory cells").

2. Yes, there is something like "over-vaccination". Your immune system can get used to the antigen (ie the virus or it's  parts) and not react anymore.  This happens easier if vaccinations came in quick succession.  4 months is the absolute minimum. 

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Thanks, so far the best explanation and elaboration as far as this is concerned. Impressive!

• Like 1

Did a search of my old home State health department. Here is, arguably, one of the worlds most grounded, respected, and efficient health systems recommendations on vaccinations for Covid 19.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/vaccine/Pages/booster.aspx#why-booster

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

It still is a grey area.  Unfortunately there still is no definitive medical answer regarding the amount of vaccines you need. 
And the health issues from the vaccines need more research also.  
The best thing you can do is listen to a health professional you trust at this point. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PattayaKevin said:

I just received my 5th vaccine in Thailand plus I have 4 more vaccines in the United States for a total of 9. Never had covid, only side effect from the vaccine was a slight headache from the first one. 

the pharma industry must love you ????

• Like 1

"After 3 years of Corona, can anyone supply some "conclusive" answers with regard to the above question(s)?"

Well you've come to the right place for conclusive answers!

Pretty sure nobody here is gonna provide "conclusive" answers.  

Edited by Lee65
editor seems not to be working properly
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lee65 said:

This might be helpful:

Kaufman Institute for Coincidence

Yea right:

Watch this video to find out more about the new and innovative research done by the Kaufman Institute for Coincidence, and their contribution to the field of medicine. Warning: this video is satire. Back in the old days, I wouldn't have to explain but because of the tremendous amount of deceit and gaslighting in the media in 2023, I feel compelled to specify. I'm trying to reach people with comedy, where logic has failed. Thank you to everyone who has shared this video. It's already gotten more eyeballs than I would have ever expected. Thanks for your support!!!

It then goes on to ask for money contributions......lol

My post disappeared,  so here it is again:

(

OP's reasoning is a bit faulty in 2 respects:

1. Protection against death or severe illness does not go to zero after 4 or 6 or whatever months. It seems to last quite a while. As covid is just 3 years old, nobody really knows. 

Antibodies can easily be measured,  you can measure the overall quantity and you can measure the neutralizing antibodies. 9 months after my 4th antigen contact (3 vaccines,  1 infection) I checked both,  the results were very good. So I decided to wait with the next vaccination.  Vejthani Hospital, 2500 B. Camillian Hospital cannot check neutralizing antibodies, only quantitative antibodies,  900 baht. 

T-cells are not routinely measured.  But even if antibodies are low, T-cells is what gives you long lasting immunity ("memory cells").

Edited by Lorry
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

no, there is no such thing

If you are talking about covid,  you are right because it just hasn't been studied long enough. 

For other vaccines,  "over-vaccination" does exist.  Prime example is probably tetanus. Many people got so many shots that with the next booster they get impressive local reactions.  Nothing serious,  though.

Whether this can happen with covid vaccines,  nobody knows (yet).

The other aspect is the possibility of the immune system "getting used" to antigen exposure. Immunologists fear it might happen. Whether this can happen with covid vaccines,  nobody knows (yet).

Lastly, there is the theory of the "original sin" of the immune system. Meaning,  too many vaccinations may hinder vaccines against a new variant. This is disputed amongst immunologists and probably too technical for OP.

Edited by Lorry
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, swissie said:

Thanks for the link.
But quote: "The study showed that immune function among vaccinated individuals 8 months after the administration of two doses of COVID-19 vaccine was lower than that among the unvaccinated individuals".

= This can not possibly be accurate.
----------------------------------

It is not accurate. And the referenced study did not show that. Please see my response.

13 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Thank you for this.  I wanted to get a second bivalent booster shot before my trip to Thailand the end of this month.  (I had my first bivalent (5th Moderna) last Sept, before my last trip.)  The pharmacist wouldn't give it me.  She said the CDC (I'm in NYC) didn't recommend it.    I called the CDC for clarification but so far they haven't gotten back to me.

Just get vaccinated for OCD!

• Haha 1

I’m with Swissie on this, although I tend to space my boosters as evenly as possible every 6 months.  I rely a lot on the Singapore Ministry of Health (MOH) for getting up to date and balanced advice on this matter, and basically what they are saying, for the time being, to be considered up to date with your COVID 19 vaccinations, you should get a booster 5 - 12 months after your last shot (refer to the SG MOH web page: https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/vaccination ).

I don’t think you can be “over-vaxxed” to the point of too much vaccine causing health problems, but at this time, take the balanced and practical view, read as much expert advice as you can and then come up with your own program that fits in with this advice.  I had 3 Pfizer shots in Singapore in 2021 and since arriving in Thailand, I’ve had 2 Moderna boosters, both of which I paid for.  I note that most of my friends and colleagues are quite relaxed about their vaccination status, and don’t see the need to keep up to date - that’s their choice, but I prefer to be more proactive in managing my health..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2023 at 3:32 PM, swissie said:

Thanks, so far the best explanation and elaboration as far as this is concerned. Impressive!

This is what you should be concerned about. Unless you're near 100, work in a high-risk environment and have a weakened immune system, you're likely over-vaccinated. 

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciimmunol.ade2798