Bangkok's governor promises a city you can walk around comfortably - "Dern Dai Dern Dee" - and not just for tourists

webfact

I admire him for at least recognizing the problem and attempting to do something but I doubt anything will come of it.  Some time ago I think there was going to be a crackdown on the horrendously noisy motorcycles--so annoying even with closed windows.  That went nowhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Sidewalks were not level and were crumbling

I noticed this paving problem got worse when the authorities started using those small bricks that quickly sank into the sand at different angles. It seems the foundation was too soft. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He received a damning report yesterday from council member Chatchai Mordee who pointed out that the only decent sidewalks in Bangkok are outside big shopping centers or fancy five star hotels

He is on point with that observation.

• Like 1

In a city where the police are so slow to respond that a sense of entitlement creeps into to those abusing such spaces it going to take a whole shift in the mindset of everyone concerned. 

A cultural shift is require on all levels of society - Thailand as a nation is too immature for that. 

The first thing that needs to improve is the ‘circle of influence’.... 

i.e. many / most people here are conscious of their circle of influence in the following order. 

1) Those immediate too them (family / closest friends) - they consider impact on these people. 

2) Those in the second circle (work colleagues / other friends) - the consider impact on these people sometimes. 

3) Everyone else - there is rarely any thought or consideration outside of their direct two circles of influence. 

Obviously it's difficult to generalise, but when generalising this is what I see. 

For anyone outside of the 1 and 2 circles the attitude is simply ’so what’... there is no concept of the ‘greater good of society’ there is no thought towards consequence.... 

The benefits of this is that people don’t go around getting upset at others because they just don’t care. 

What we like about Thai culture and society also is the reason for its problems. 

Ask people to care greatly about society and we end up with greater social responsibility and also people getting more stressed, more readily upset with each other and Thailand loses some of its charm. 

Its a double edged sword and a balance which is difficult to achieve.... 

• Like 1

The failure to finish a re-paving project of Sukhumwit around 10 years ago was so great that a PhD paper was presented on the issue at the FCCT. They left the slabs and sand on the road near the old British Embassy for 3 years. The mind-blowing incompetence and corruption. 

• Like 1

And has council member Chatchai Mordee actually personally done anything about this problem since he became council member? In fact how long has he been a council member.

I have found his FB page but it is in Thai.

It is so easy to criticise but not so easy to do things yourself.

I hope there's a new shelf after shelving burying that tangle of cables!

"One 3.2km stretch of Udom Suk in the Bang Na area there were 428 obstacles and problems on the sidewalks."

That happens to be the 3.2km I walk every week for exercise to grocery shop at Makro. Passable only with great care * attention. Heavy car noise & pollution, too.

Lots of the side sois have no sidewalks at all. Pitiful...

Ha. And that’s just Bangkok. They can’t even handle a small seaside town of Pattaya, how do they think they will ever be able to do this in Bangkok, but I guess they better get started soon as we will be having 80,000,000 visitors in 4 years enjoying this beautiful country. 

On 1/12/2023 at 11:52 AM, MRToMRT said:

I am willing to bet he CANNOT deliver on this.

Maybe, but if he helps address at least part of that it would already be better than many before him.

Btw: He promised a park next to my house. And he actually delivered. No matter how ridiculous that small plot looks, he actually fulfilled his promise. Now that's a first that I can think of!