You're so American!

Jingthing

3 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Extremely weak and desperate.

Like I said, my mall had no flags of the world store (and neither did yours). What magazines and catalogs were you getting extolling Canadian flags? "Honey, another flag catalog in the mail, when will they stop besieging us" -said nobody, ever.

Your small potato's, made-up resentments against America are fit only for making you a figure of fun. The fact that it chortles you to see Americans in discomfort says so much about you.

When we American are somehow briefly forced to think about Canada, we wish you well. And we want an apology for Alan's Morrissette.

We will NEVER apologize for Alanis.  Celine Dion, on the other hand........  

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wouldn't know as I don't talk to Germans.

Only met 2 that I know of, and both turned out to be a-holes.

Oh well ... better luck in the future, if ever ????

Check that ... 3 ... though didn't know the other that well, but did have a 'superiority' complex.  Thought his "Phantom 200cc commanded respect on the highway" ... his words.  What a POS, the scooter, as he seemed nice enough.

Edited by KhunLA

I am a U.S. citizen.  Grew up in Arizona, Lived in Washington and Alaska as well.

My main thought is many Americans are into "stuff".  Cars, jet-skis, motorcycles, quads, boats, trucks, travel trailers, and all sorts of other stuff!  I know a guy who collects guitars to this day and does not play anymore.  It is like they just want stuff to show off.  Good for the economy I guess, but not so good for saving for retirement.

Also all my friends and acquaintances from U.S. have only visited Canada or Mexico, some only one, some neither.  They consider Hawaii a "very long" flight  5555

• Like 1

11 hours ago, samuttodd said:

You remind me of Yul Brenner in the King and I when he emphatically states "Siam is the biggest country in the world"   image.thumb.png.0fa52642ecbf4840e2110e7022b45d97.png

Not quite sure how....

It would make more sense if people only quoted the full place if they were from one of the lesser-known ones, assuming California as a default.

Same as if I mention Liverpool, I assume the city in the NW of England, but I actually have a picture of myself in  Liverpool, Texas

2 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I am a U.S. citizen.  Grew up in Arizona, Lived in Washington and Alaska as well.

My main thought is many Americans are into "stuff".  Cars, jet-skis, motorcycles, quads, boats, trucks, travel trailers, and all sorts of other stuff!  I know a guy who collects guitars to this day and does not play anymore.  It is like they just want stuff to show off.  Good for the economy I guess, but not so good for saving for retirement.

Also all my friends and acquaintances from U.S. have only visited Canada or Mexico, some only one, some neither.  They consider Hawaii a "very long" flight  5555

And not songood to save the environment especially when there is a whole world out there who want a piece of it! 

I never understood this big engine thing americans love. 

Truck pulling, truck race and the bigger and heavier the better!

Americans is Always in beast mode even in wrestling.

I thought the whole wrestling thing was a joke until I came in to a bar in Zephyrhills Florida 19 years old. Mildly say I got a culture shock.

Even saw my first biker babe in leather pants 45 years old with tatto on her tits! But thats another story

38 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Do they sell deodorant in India, and is gang rape the National Sport?

Excuse me, this is AsianNow. The correct anecdote is 10 SouthAsians with 10 straws sharing a coke outside 7/11.

This has been documented here dozens of times. If only we could predict -by accent- nationalities who believe virtually anything.

For me, this has been great. I thought up the Canadian backpack troll, revealed it was a stupid joke and people are still swearing it's true -to the guy who thought up the joke. Even after carefully explaining why it defies reality. Brexit -now I get how this disaster happened.

The flag store at the mall/flag catalog shopper was the best. He's being toasted over on the Lonely Planet board.

Hopefully, SpiderMike will pop back to tell us of his tales of passing as a Canadian - a deeply caucaisian version of Black Like Me.

Or did he just wave away some anglo-pest who wanted to talk about gun control for the millionth time with an "Uh, Canadian? Take it elsewhere, Bro".

Question for real Canucks.

When you say you're Canadian, do you sometimes get smirks in response, yeah, sure you are. 

Faking being Canuck is just too obvious.

I have considered before posing as a Belizian. 

That'll shut 'em up real quick.

Yeah it's an English speaking country.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Question for real Canucks.

When you say you're Canadian, do you sometimes get smirks in response, yeah, sure you are. 

Faking being Canuck is just too obvious.

I have considered before posing as a Belizian. 

That'll shut 'em up real quick.

Yeah it's an English speaking country.

JT,

Have you ever canoed in Timmins, Ontario?

12 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Resentment towards Americans is a function of inferiority.

We only resent people who are better off than us.

This is why Americans never resent Europeans. 

The resentment is frequently a reaction to a superiority complex.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:55 AM, macahoom said:

Being unable to differentiate between the words then and than.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:52 AM, VocalNeal said:

or bring and take 

Usually, when I encounter word police I pat them gently on the head and, in a soothing voice, say, "There, they're, their, little one"

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

very few do, per capita. 

Not until 9/11 did many have passports, as not necessary when traveling in most of the Americas, where most Americans holiday.

I only went to Europe once, and to visit my niece.  If she didn't live there, the trip would have never happened.   If I didn't work for an airlines, and had timeshare weeks to burn, I would have never went to Phuket, the first time, and that was geared toward a diving holiday.

I found no reason to leave the Americas to holiday.  Hop up to Canada, and I do know all the provinces ????, down to Mexico, and more than a few islands in the Caribbean.  No reason to leave, and have yet to have a better holiday in either EU or TH.

If not for an occasional earthquake and extreme weather in those holiday areas, I wouldn't be here.

Untitled.jpg

Amazing graphic. I never would have guessed the percent in 1989.

I think the "Ugly American" meme began in the 1960s, so it can likely be blamed on a true handful of people.

I've been living outside of the US almost exclusively since university. When I am in a hotel in SEAsia in particular, or South Asia, the hotel staff 'shares' with me nationalities they don't like. They know me, but not necessarily my nationality. Sometimes they beef about guests, then say something like, "You've not German, are you?"

There seems to be a fairly consistent "Do Not Like" list. I prefer not to name them, but American doesn't make the top 5. Perhaps in the 1960s it could have, but not now.

Best others look in the mirror.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe the mods will move that. 

Why Americans call Caravans Trailers and also call a caravan park a trailer park?

The first picture is what we call a caravan where people live and travel the second picture is a trailer you cannot live in that please explain to me .

caravan.jpg

trailers.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Resentment towards Americans is a function of inferiority.

We only resent people who are better off than us.

This is why Americans never resent Europeans. 

Boasting about how rich you are and how superior you are to everyone else is one of the causes of resentment and dislike , no one likes arrogant people  

18 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

My dad fought in WW2 and he would roll in his grave if I ever did this.   He loved America, and would be sad if I was embarrassed to be from a country that gave me the ability to be who I am.   My friends would laugh at me if I did this, wondering how I lost my backbone, identity, courage......why?  to please strangers I will lie to them???  OH, I'd never do that.  Oh, I'm soo worried about what they think.... I know, I'll lie about my entire life!!!!!!!  great idea!!!!

My family tree would crumble.    Everything would then be fake.  Why not make up everything?    Why not get a Canadian tattoo all over your body!!!!  

America has taught me to be confident, intelligent, rich, in-shape, everything..

Thailand teaches me about Pattaya!!!!

and I literally won't waste one second on what other "countries" think .     Wait your turn for the master of the universe to give advice.   USA.  

Alot of nationalistic hogwash, as it sounds to me. Yes, America was "great", at some point in the past. In the 1940's? Maybe the 50's? Can you even name the period? Please. My Dad fought in WWII, also. The last righteous war the US fought. Since then? Totally failed foreign policy for over 70 years now. 

I say what I want, when I want. My pride at being American is there, but it is limited. Nothing to do with being a coward. More like not wanting to engage in a useless discussion about politics, and the extreme failure of both the democratic and republican parties. Love America all you want. It is all good, but that is on you, not me. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of nationalistic hogwash, as it sounds to me. Yes, America was "great", at some point in the past. In the 1940's? Maybe the 50's? Can you even name the period? Please. My Dad fought in WWII, also. The last righteous war the US fought. Since then? Totally failed foreign policy for over 70 years now. 

Hopefully someone will be along soon to make America great again ?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

America has taught me to be confident, intelligent, rich, in-shape, everything..

Thailand teaches me about Pattaya!!!!

and I literally won't waste one second on what other "countries" think .     Wait your turn for the master of the universe to give advice.   USA.  

If you such a confident , rich, intelligent in shape guy, what the hell are you doing in Pattaya ?

How did you end up there ?

• Haha 1