Thai Baht vs Sterling Exchange Rate

Hi

Could someone please help me to understand, in layman's terms, the mechanism behind the exchange rate fluctuation.

Example:   When the UK GBP was fluctuating between $1.11/$1.19  to £1.00 Gbp, the Thai baht was around 42/43 baht per £1.00 GBP.

Yesterday the £ rose to $1.22  per £1.00  from $1.21 and the Thai baht went from 40.60 to 40.15 per £1.00 straight away.

All I wish to do is have a better understanding of why.

Thank you.

Edited by Raindancer
Amendment
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

@nigelforbes

Thank you.  Got a wee bit lost with all the technical stuff, but got the gist of it.    The link you provided was also very helpful.

Regards

"Dollar/Pound is subject to movements in either the Dollar or the Pound whilst Dollar/Baht is subject to movements in either Dollar or the Baht. But Pound/Baht is subject to movements in either Dollar, Pound or Baht".

That's the short answer, the long answer is background and explanation why  GBP/THB is subject to the movements of three currencies not two so that posters can better understand.

Best suggestion from me is have the £/baht conversion open all day - or check it every few hours - and send your money when it blips up , rather than wait for a specific day of the month

Yes....I do that anyway.  Just trying to understand the " logic".  But, no probs...seems to have no logic.????????

Edited by Raindancer
Spelling correction

5 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Ok.  I understand dollar/pound.  But dollar/ pound/ thai baht is my issue. 

In simple terms why is the pound getting better against the dollar, and as soon as it does the Thai baht produces less against the pound.

BOT manipulation comes to mind.  Something they have been doing for years.

But thank you for trying to help. Much appreciated. 

Yes the BOT are buying more Baht. With the increased tourism there is also a greater demand for Baht. Most countries currency has fallen against the Baht due increased demand for Baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

That's true about tourism and the demand for Baht except BOT will not be buying Baht under therpesent circumstances. As said in other postings, if anything, BOT will be selling Baht in an attempt to stop it from rising too quickly, that's the biggest problem today which is likely to impact exporters soon. 

That also makes sense.  So, at least I have all the different views, particularly on the baht being kept  low, and it's effect on exports.

But it seems crazy to want more tourism, and then give each tourist less for their home currency.   Rather defeats the object of trying to promote tourism.

Edited by Raindancer
Amendment.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

GBP/THB is tied to USD/THB.. Whatever the USD/THB exchange rate is, multiply by GBP/USD rate and you get the GBP/THB rate, simples.... The USB/THB has fallen from 38 to 32 in 6 weeks or so which in turn weakened GBP/THB..

Now, that is the easiest formula and explanation to understand.  Many thanks

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

But dollar/ pound/ thai baht is my issue. 

You have to bear in mind that there is an individual outlook on the currency as well as the relative relationship in a currency pair.

At the moment the dollar is getting weaker, this can be seen on the dollar index. So if the baht stays the same the baht gets stronger against the dollar.

If the pound gets weaker it will also deteriorate agains the baht, but if the pound weakens less than the dollar it will appear to get stronger against the dollar.

Far too many permutations for it to be straightforward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for the long explanation but isn't that obvious even without all those fancy terms? ???? 

The more foreigners buy more of anything from Thailand, they must "buy" Thai Baht currency on world currency markets to pay for it.  Thus demand for Baht increases and the Baht goes up relative to other currencies.  Thai exports are increasing and so is tourism,  both increase demand for Baht.  AND the Thai Government likely is buying Thai Baht with their foreign currency reserves to further force up the Baht on the world currency markets.

Edited by Jerno
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Jerno said:

The more foreigners buy more of anything from Thailand, they must "buy" Thai Baht currency on world currency markets to pay for it.  Thus demand for Baht increases and the Baht goes up relative to other currencies.  Thai exports are increasing and so is tourism,  both increase demand for Baht.  AND the Thai Government likely is buying Thai Baht with their foreign currency reserves to further force up the Baht on the world currency markets.

Two points:

The value of the Baht on the FOREX only goes up relative to other currencies, if it is bought using USD or a USD connected currency, it is the linkage between USD and THB that has to be influenced for the value of THB to change. Tourist spending from countries whose currency are not connected to USD, directly or indirectly, have no direct impact on the FOREX value of THB. There is however an indirect impact because that currency will become part of BOT's Foreign Currency Reserves, which also influences the value of the Baht. The majority of currency strengthening impact comes from exports and Capital inflow's rather than from tourism.

Under the present economic circumstance, BOT will be selling baht to weaken it, not buying it to strengthen it.

Edited by nigelforbes

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Someone pointed this out to me previously, UK makes nothing so it's currency is worthless.

My reply was,

Spain and Portugal grow most of the food for Europe, yet are the worst off financially (PIIGS).

USA also makes nothing but rules the world and it's currency is king.

China make almost everything for the world but is a financial basket case.

So your theory that manufacturing/production makes a country rich appears to fall at the first fence.

Thailand is also pretty bad financially. 

China is 2nd only after United States by household wealth.

We are talking about currencies here.