Reader's Digest (mainstream family magazine) has gone gung ho on Thailand!

Jingthing

I grew up with Reader's Digest being an aggressively NON controversial publication that you'd read in places like dentist's waiting rooms.  

So I was rather surprised to see their current enthusiasm for Thailand -- both traveling here and indeed moving here in retirement. 

I’ve Been to 60 Countries, but These 6 Changed Me Forever (msn.com)

The country out of 60 that feels like a second home to the author? Thailand.

The Best Places to Retire Around the World | Reader's Digest (rd.com)

Thailand Number One!

Thailand

Known as the Land of Smiles, the peaceful Buddhist nation of Thailand offers a low cost of living and great weather, complete with relaxation opportunities, adventure, and culinary and cultural experiences, all of which are budget-friendly. Retirees can take advantage of luxuries including spas with prices starting as low as $10 for a two-hour massage; incredible local cuisine with entrees that cost the equivalent of U.S. $1.00; and reasonable prices for transportation including tuk-tuk rides that zip through the streets of Bangkok for just $1.50 an hour.

Yes, it's not really that cheap, is it?

RD was certainly ubiquitous at one point, so in that sense it was mainstream and it is still around today, especially in dentists' offices.

But politically, it was quite far to the right and its foreign language editions' content was suspected of having been influenced by the CIA.

I always considered it dumbed-down propaganda for right-wing nationalist types, so I'm usually a bit skeptical about anything it says.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

RD was certainly ubiquitous at one point, so in that sense it was mainstream and it is still around today, especially in dentists' offices.

But politically, it was quite far to the right and its foreign language editions' content was suspected of having been influenced by the CIA.

I always considered it dumbed-down propaganda for right-wing nationalist types, so I'm usually a bit skeptical about anything it says.

I don't know about the CIA but yes obviously they have been a conservative publication. The U.S. is a conservative country and they never wanted to make waves. Definitely pro Americanism in the corny Mom and apple pie old fashioned sense.