Unhappy True (ta) High Speed Customer

Dancali

Your modem shows the speed that's setup at the DSLAM at the CO near you...

You don't need to set a proxy since true uses a transparent proxy system.  Nearly all HTTP requests will be routed through that proxy.

For the weird bootup process, it seems that the setup routine doesn't seem to want to finish.  Perhaps uninstall and reinstall?

1. Thanks for clarifications on the proxy.

2. Would you please explain the meanings of: DSLAM & CO.

3. Actually, I have installed/uninstalled the modem two times already, without any improvements. What bothering me a bit is that in the middle of the installation the system asking to insert a Windows installation disk, and then prompting me to reboot without usage of the modem's CD. Maybe I should cancel rebooting, insert the modem CD again... and see what will happaned.

Any info on the configuration of the True mail server, i.e. what type is it POP3, IMAP, etc., and what are the server addresses for incoming and outgoing mail.

I had the same problem, no ADSL from 1 July to 8 July. I called everyday, waited for up to an hour on hold, and was told each day it would be working the next day. But THIS IS THAILAND so I just waited for the day it would come on. However, I called the supervisor the day it started working and asked not to be billed for the days without service. She said I wouldn't be charged for this month. I hope that's TRUE ;-)

Domain Name Server = asianet.co.th

Primary Domain Name Server = 203.144.255.71

Secondary Domain Name Server = 203.144.255.72

Incoming Mail Server (POP3) = classic.asianet.co.th

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) = classic.asianet.co.th

The CO is the central office. It's usually a building within a few KM of your house which has a lot of communications equipment. Your phone line is connected to equipment in the building, giving you phone service. If you have DSL service, then your phone line is also connected to the DSLAM in the building, which is basically what allows you (and everyone else) to use DSL. The CO then connects in various ways to the larger phone and DSL network.

AFAIK, the first month is not billed, but you do have to pay in advance for the next month. Before the "unlimited inter" that came this month, you also had to pay for any "internet" (not local) hours that you had used. Since there is no "local" and "inter" now, I don't think you pay for the first month.

Thanks for the clarifications Firefoxx.

Is someone else had the following problem:

When I first start using truehisp, I was not able to send my mail using the SMTP (on Port 25) of my Host, which is located in the US. I was forced to use only the email address provided by asianet. And now, after emailing my complains to the True support, suddenly, without getting any reply from True, I'm able to send email using both services. Strange things happened.

And finally, for those who want to check the real speeds of incoming and outgoing traffic, including the CPU usage, here is a link:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

For SMTP (mail sending), the smtp host will usually only allow computers within their domain (their IP matching a list) to send. This is to prevent spammers from using their host to send spam. The solution is to use the SMTP of your ISP to send, since your computer is considered a member of the ISP's domain, and can send via the ISP's SMTP server.

Receiving mail is no problem, since it requires a user/pass.

I used to use dial-up and moved to True hi-speed internet 256/128 last week. I asked them to install a new line as it was in the promotion (done in 5 days).

No problem during installation. It is working well. Download speed is about 250 Kb/s in Thailand and of course slower for foreign sites (about 100-150 Kb/s).

Big plus: It does not disconnect every 15 minutes. Big saving on the phone bill.

It IS really faster and more reliable than dial-up, always.

Is it really faster in 512/256 with foreign sites?

I used to use dial-up and moved to True hi-speed internet 256/128 last week. I asked them to install a new line as it was in the promotion (done in 5 days).

No problem during installation. It is working well. Download speed is about 250 Kb/s in Thailand and of course slower for foreign sites (about 100-150 Kb/s).

Big plus: It does not disconnect every 15 minutes. Big saving on the phone bill.

I was 256/128 upgraded to 512/256 and yes international downloads are faster. There have been periods when downloads were almost at a dialup crawl during transition to new lines by CAT (and CAT is still having their normal problems) but it will get close to full speed for short periods even when slow so if your peak is higher the thruput will be higher. But if you are not downloading a lot the 256 should be fine - sure beats dial up.

It's nice it's working so problem free for you Stef.

Personally, I have a new headache with my service just about every day.

Are you using the truehisp or trueadsl username?

I get so much bs and mixed answers I'm going to shoot myself.

Today was one of the best. They called me and checked if it started working from yesterday when I called them. Nope. They tried a few things. Nope. Oh, well, they tell me I won't have internet access for 2 months, until September when they get the new system setup. Then they tell me I will be able to have 256/128 NON-UNLIMITED internet starting in 2 days. So I'll be back to paying 3,000 baht a month for slower internet than those paying 750 for unlimited. Then she talks to her supervisor and comes back and says my internet will work using trueadsl once again.

Throw in an hour of waiting, and lots of headaches and you have my typical daily routine with true adsl.

It's nice it's working so problem free for you Stef.

Personally, I have a new headache with my service just about every day.

I get so much bs and mixed answers I'm going to shoot myself.

Today was one of the best.  They called me and checked if it started working from yesterday when I called them.  Nope.  They tried a few things.  Nope. Oh, well, they tell me I won't have internet access for 2 months, until September when they get the new system setup.  Then they tell me I will be able to have 256/128 NON-UNLIMITED internet starting in 2 days.  So I'll be back to paying 3,000 baht a month for slower internet than those paying 750 for unlimited.  Then she talks to her supervisor and comes back and says my internet will work using trueadsl once again.

Throw in an hour of waiting, and lots of headaches and you have my typical daily routine with true adsl.

My username is truehisp. It seems that I may be lucky to be in a better area than you (Prawet district).

I was 256/128 upgraded to 512/256 and yes international downloads are faster. There have been periods when downloads were almost at a dialup crawl during transition to new lines by CAT (and CAT is still having their normal problems) but it will get close to full speed for short periods even when slow so if your peak is higher the thruput will be higher. But if you are not downloading a lot the 256 should be fine - sure beats dial up.

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try.

For SMTP (mail sending), the smtp host will usually only allow computers within their domain (their IP matching a list) to send.  This is to prevent spammers from using their host to send spam.  The solution is to use the SMTP of your ISP to send, since your computer is considered a member of the ISP's domain, and can send via the ISP's SMTP server.

Firefoxx,

As I've mentioned previously, now using the truehisp connection, I'm able to use my US host mail server to send (and receive) email. Means that truehisp has made some changes to allow the use of SMTP server on Port 25.

The only problem is the following error message, I get from my MailWasher program:

"...your mail SMTP server does not support any authentication mechanisms."

Do you have any idea in that regard?

Dancali

If your username has not been changed to truehisp, means that you are not using the true hi-speed service.

You should request that they change your service from trueadsl to truehisp.

It's usually the case that you can't use a smtp server if you're not within the same domain. Some SMTP servers have user/password authentication, but it seems that yours doesn't. An open SMTP server with no authentication can lead to abuse from spammers.

People using @trueadsl were all changed automatically to @truehisp. Only people using @aiadsl were not changed automatically, since they were "old" customers, and had to contact True to make the change. No one should be using @trueadsl right now.

People using @trueadsl were all changed automatically to @truehisp. Only people using @aiadsl were not changed automatically, since they were "old" customers, and had to contact True to make the change. No one should be using @trueadsl right now.

It wasn't so in my case. Initially, I subscribed to the @trueadsl, and then have to change my subscription to the @truehisp. And this took ~ 1 week to implement that change.

BTW, does somebody here uses the Skype? I would like to check the quality and speak with someone.

"People using @trueadsl were all changed automatically to @truehisp. Only people using @aiadsl were not changed automatically, since they were "old" customers, and had to contact True to make the change. No one should be using @trueadsl right now. "

Not my case either. Trueadsl and STILL trueadsl. Nobody at true seems to have a clue as to what to do with my case.

"I would recommend you to contact them via email [email protected] - provide all details of your case and explain what you want."

Thanks for the tip, but man, it's not like I haven't been on contact with them. I've been on the phone with them for an hour a day every 2-3 days for the last month. They even sent a technician to my place who worked here for a couple hours.

Unless you think that email address is significantly better than their other help venues, I don't want to waste more time. Do you know something I don't know?

• 2 weeks later...