Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

3 minutes ago, transam said:

So you have no opinion on why she hasn't done her thing in India or China, you know, the countries that are causing the major part of purported problems......?  :cowboy:

It would be nice if her and her boat crew and her camera crew  would sail to Thailand and try and stop the mass burning in the North and the rest of the Country

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

So if she is as educated as you say then why is she protesting in Germany and not, for example, in China?  Even a secondary school educated child would have an awareness of the biggest polluters in the world and would know that Germany is not one of them.    What she is doing is about the equivalent of Rosa Parks complaining quietly to her friends at the back of the bus rather than taking a stand (or a seat) at the front where it could (and did) make a difference.   

Again check my previous posts on china etc not going to repeat them again. Its already been discussed

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t care why she has not. Nothing to do with my posts. 

By the way why do you keep missing out the country between China and India in terms of polluting countries? Does it not fit your narrative?

What country is that, that I am deliberately missing out.......?  ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Again check my previous posts on china etc not going to repeat them again. Its already been discussed

Do your previous posts tell all as to why she hasn't done her thing in India and/or China, I don't fancy spending my time reading all your posts on the subject..............:ermm:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

image.png.828519989eb68a85b856727c96596557.png just for you..............

From what I can gather is that she retweeted something or wrote a tweet which seems to be the sum of her activism against the pollution that is produced from China and someone in China accused her of being a bit chubby.   Is that it or did I miss a post you made that detailed her adventures in China demonstrating outside one of their 1118 coal power plants?  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

From what I can gather is that she retweeted something or wrote a tweet which seems to be the sum of her activism against the pollution that is produced from China and someone in China accused her of being a bit chubby.   Is that it or did I miss a post you made that detailed her adventures in China demonstrating outside one of their 1118 coal power plants?  

I didn't say she's been to china, if you press the back button you'll discover what I did say.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I never said anything specific about what she had done in China as she's not been there. However she does not have to go to a country when she can speak to them directly as she does in her speech's at the UN and other forums such as Davos where where she is now and so is President Xi, which is what I did say.

Climate activists in China tend to get arrested, visa refused, young girls refused to be allowed to go back to school unless they stop, nationwide crackdowns on  activism. Bit like asking why not go to North Korea

I think she has been fairly busy doing what she can but feel free to tweet her and ask her directly.

Is a variation of whataboutery.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Is the belief that Humans are facing extinction soon a fact or a conspiracy theory ?

Just read the link. A scientific organisation claimed a third of all animal and plant species would be extinct by 2050. That's not a conspiracy theory. Most people are alarmed by that report. It would take religious scale delusion to think it wasn't alarming.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I said with a link to evidence. I agree with her. We are already seeing mass extinction of species. We aren't far away. Can you follow the rules for once and post a link to your denialist claims? Thanks in advance.

Global warming is projected to commit over one-third of the Earth’s animal and plant species to extinction by 2050 if current greenhouse gas emissions trajectories continue — a catastrophic loss that would irreversibly reduce biodiversity and alter both ecosystems and human societies across the globe. In fact, more than a million species may be at risk of future extinction due to global warming, and we’re already seeing the first extinctions.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/global_warming_and_endangered_species/index.html

Here's a couple more:

Scientists now think the planet is facing a mass extinction

Without Action on Climate, Another Mass Extinction Event Will Likely Happen in the World’s Oceans

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

She clammed that we are at the beginning of mass extinction , that isn't factually correct 

You sure about that?

It's Official: Scientists Say We're Entering Earth's Sixth Mass Extinction

https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-we-re-on-the-brink-of-earth-s-sixth-mass-extinction

Are We in the Middle of a Sixth Mass Extinction?
Study finds that three-quarters of Earth's species could vanish within 300 years

https://www.science.org/content/article/are-we-middle-sixth-mass-extinction

6th mass extinction happening now? These scientists say yes

https://earthsky.org/earth/6th-mass-extinction-in-progress-invertebrates/

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

You sure about that?

It's Official: Scientists Say We're Entering Earth's Sixth Mass Extinction

https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-we-re-on-the-brink-of-earth-s-sixth-mass-extinction

Are We in the Middle of a Sixth Mass Extinction?
Study finds that three-quarters of Earth's species could vanish within 300 years

https://www.science.org/content/article/are-we-middle-sixth-mass-extinction

6th mass extinction happening now? These scientists say yes

https://earthsky.org/earth/6th-mass-extinction-in-progress-invertebrates/

The world's too big and God would never let that happen so carry on, business as usual.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

So what, the dinosaurs had their turn, Neanderthals had a spree, we had the ice age and all sorts of other ages. What gave us coal, oil and gas from the earths depths.....?

The Earth itself is King here, not you, me or GT, humans are a blip in the history of Earths story, get used to it....:drunk:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

So what, the dinosaurs had their turn, Neanderthals had a spree, we had the ice age and all sorts of other ages. What gave us coal, oil and gas from the earths depths.....?

The Earth itself is King here, not you, me or GT, humans are a blip in the history of Earths story, get used to it....:drunk:

We don't need to be the agent of destruction.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

It's funny your insinuation about others doing this for money. Your source you link to  here is the Heartland Institute. Before it latched on to climate change denialism, it perpetrated denialism that second hand smoke  poses a health hazard to non-smokers. Entirely a coincidence that it got big donations from the tobacco industry and then when it switched causes, from the oil industry.

What's even funnier is that there is an eminent physicist named Richard Muller who voiced doubt about global warming due to the way temperatures were calculated. The Heartland Institute funded him to assemble a dream team of scientists to prove that the world really wasn't getting warmer and the warming wasn't linked to greenhouse gases. The upshot was that Muller's team confirmed that the planet was getting warmer and that it was caused by greenhouse gases. Oddly enough, the Heartland Institute has buried all mention of Muller's research.

And of course, the one thing you don't do in your screed is address the science. Typical of denialists.

On the other foot, you could have been "taken in".................:whistling:

5 minutes ago, transam said:

The Earth itself is King here, not you, me or GT, humans are a blip in the history of Earths story, get used to it....

Great way to deny what can be done. You should just tag that on all posts, your debate is over.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

More irrelevant nonsense. It would be one thing if this self destruction was inevitable. But it's not. Maybe some of the posters here got an extra helping of Neanderthal genes and can't envisage solutions that those of us with the usual small dosage can.

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Earth itself is King here, not you, me or GT, humans are a blip in the history of Earths story, get used to it....

Great way to deny what can be done. You should just tag that on all posts, your debate is over.

Tell that to the dinosaurs....................????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's funny your insinuation about others doing this for money. Your source you link to  here is the Heartland Institute. Before it latched on to climate change denialism, it perpetrated denialism that second hand smoke  poses a health hazard to non-smokers. Entirely a coincidence that it got big donations from the tobacco industry and then when it switched causes, from the oil industry.

What's even funnier is that there is an eminent physicist named Richard Muller who voiced doubt about global warming due to the way temperatures were calculated. The Heartland Institute funded him to assemble a dream team of scientists to prove that the world really wasn't getting warmer and the warming wasn't linked to greenhouse gases. The upshot was that Muller's team confirmed that the planet was getting warmer and that it was caused by greenhouse gases. Oddly enough, the Heartland Institute has buried all mention of Muller's research.

And of course, the one thing you don't do in your screed is address the science. Typical of denialists.

ok so you didn't like that link (the content of which came from an amnesty international report) and chose to discredit the author rather than reading it.    Here is the same report which comes from amnesty international.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/01/child-labour-behind-smart-phone-and-electric-car-batteries/

So.. are you a child slave labour supporter or a denier?   

No doubt you will now call into question who funds amnesty international rather than addressing the contents of that report.   I'm sure that one or more of the 10 million individuals that contribute funds to them is an unsavoury character you can deflect onto as this seems to be your MO.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1