Greta Thunberg detained at German coal protest

Scott

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I do think that she cannot answer questions herself .

Look at her speech above, she had to look down at the teleprompter after EVERY sentence and she has previously been unable to answer random questions when put on the spot

There was no question mark after my statement. The reason is that I expected a response like the one you gave showing no common sense and understanding of her activities at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It really doesn't matter whether its a teleprompter or a bit of paper that she was reading the speech from .

Point being she was reading someone else's speech , where she was reading from is irrelevant 

You the saying that begins with Put up or..." Share with us your evidence for that.

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

https://aseannow.com/forum/158-world-news/

And even if you could prove it, which you can't, who cares? This is just more evidence of your gaslighting re the substance of what she says.

• Like 2

We have road speed restrictions now, can only drive 20 miles an hours and insects have time to get out the way 

I'm guessing this is your attempt at humor. Since it's obviously false. The only kind of illumination you offer here is more gaslighting. You've got nothing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, the ones who have an unhealthy fascination with her are those who focus on her personality and motivations, rather than the substance of what she says. 

We have a zillion real scientists to listen too on any subject, GT just spouts stuff that we mostly all know.

Sadly for her, we all don't want to live in a cave, and when nuclear fusion comes along she will have to get a real job.

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Exactly. A 16 year old child giving a speech to world leaders and the world's media might have notes. What is the issue there? Even experienced presidents have a teleprompter (and also usually have their speeches written for them). She wrote it and delivered it herself. And it really triggers the nasty old men which I find endlessly amusing (as well as very sad).

If she didn't have a "problem", would she have got the attention, I don't think so.....

Just now, transam said:

We have a zillion real scientists to listen too on any subject, GT just spouts stuff that we mostly all know.

Sadly for her, we all don't want to live in a cave, and when nuclear fusion comes along she will have to get a real job.

Really? You're claiming that there are no members posting here who deny the consensus of climatologists? 

And you repeat the usual tripe about the choice being between living as a troglodyte or waiting for nuclear fusion. Which reveals how little you know.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Chinese have eaten most of em.

in China it might be true yes 

light pollution is one factor, chemicals, as well natural habitats disapears,,,,,,,

Edited by Hummin

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Exactly. A 16 year old child giving a speech to world leaders and the world's media might have notes. What is the issue there? Even experienced presidents have a teleprompter (and also usually have their speeches written for them). She wrote it and delivered it herself. And it really triggers the nasty old men which I find endlessly amusing (as well as very sad).

How do you know she writes her own stuff......?

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Economic growth no longer means higher carbon emissions

All told, some 33 countries have in recent years cut emissions while maintaining growth. Around three-fifths are European, meaning, as was the case during the Industrial Revolution, the old continent is leading the way. But the group also includes America, where emissions fell by 15% between 2007 and 2019 even as gdp per person rose by 23%, as well as others that have joined more recently.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2022/11/08/economic-growth-no-longer-means-higher-carbon-emissions

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

She has been asked many times and categorically says she writes them herself. I have no reason to believe it is not true and no-one has ever come up with evidence to suggest the opposite, nobody.

"And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood."

If only people on this forum could follow that idea.

And to anticipate your next question, no, I haven't ever sat and watched her write one.

She states herself that she "asks for input" from other people as well as asking scientists , so her speeches are a group effort and not written by her alone 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

She states herself that she "asks for input" from other people as well as asking scientists , so her speeches are a group effort and not written by her alone 

You know, like criticism and fact checking. The same kind of thing that authors go through when they submit their work to decently run magazine, journals, and publishing houses. Does that mean their works are a group effort and not written by" them alone?

Just now, placeholder said:

Economic growth no longer means higher carbon emissions

All told, some 33 countries have in recent years cut emissions while maintaining growth. Around three-fifths are European, meaning, as was the case during the Industrial Revolution, the old continent is leading the way. But the group also includes America, where emissions fell by 15% between 2007 and 2019 even as gdp per person rose by 23%, as well as others that have joined more recently.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2022/11/08/economic-growth-no-longer-means-higher-carbon-emissions

Something for you to read below. For centuries, man has used what was available to create energy. It is no different today.

The first breakthrough was decades ago with nuclear power, a power with risks, but it was a great step forward to reduce carbon emissions.

The next step will be nuclear fusion, it will happen. Coal and oil will gone, something we all know, gone. Perhaps you don't know that. We move on to our latest energy source.

It wasn't that long ago we were communicating with baked bean tins and a bit of string, now, you can talk to anyone, anywhere, well nearly.

GT is a pest that the "aaaah" brigade have made a well known name, that's it...........:clap2:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-07506-z

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

She has been asked many times and categorically says she writes them herself. I have no reason to believe it is not true and no-one has ever come up with evidence to suggest the opposite, nobody.

"And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood."

If only people on this forum could follow that idea.

And to anticipate your next question, no, I haven't ever sat and watched her write one.

Did you expect her to say otherwise..............:biggrin:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Something for you to read below. For centuries, man has used what was available to create energy. It is no different today.

The first breakthrough was decades ago with nuclear power, a power with risks, but it was a great step forward to reduce carbon emissions.

The next step will be nuclear fusion, it will happen. Coal and oil will gone, something we all know, gone. Perhaps you don't know that. We move on to our latest energy source.

It wasn't that long ago we were communicating with baked bean tins and a bit of string, now, you can talk to anyone, anywhere, well nearly.

GT is a pest that the "aaaah" brigade have made a well known name, that's it...........:clap2:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-07506-z

You clearly have no knowledge of the extraordinary rapid development of alternative energy sources.

Here's a starting point for you:

https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-levelized-cost-of-storage-and-levelized-cost-of-hydrogen/

As for nuclear fusion, I'm reminded of what Brazilians say about their country " Brazil is the country of the future and always will be."

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You know, like criticism and fact checking. The same kind of thing that authors go through when they submit their work to decently run magazine, journals, and publishing houses. Does that mean their works are a group effort and not written by" them alone?

We are talking about Gretas speeches and she has stated that she has "input" from other people , the exact amount of input isn't stated but as she needs to read every sentence from a paper , that seems to suggest she didn't write much herself 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh dear, you really do have nothing. 

It seems strange that you and the pro-GT camp keep quoting to others "you have nothing".

I find that very strange as there has been a lot of input from others angle on things.....:coffee1: 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

We are talking about Gretas speeches and she has stated that she has "input" from other people , the exact amount of input isn't stated but as she needs to read every sentence from a paper , that seems to suggest she didn't write much herself 

First you state it as a fact and now you come up with "that seems to suggest she didn't write much herself". Because she couldn't study it and memorize it? Public speaking doesn't come easily to everyone. Your surmise is just more nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, transam said:

It seems strange that you and the pro-GT camp keep quoting to others "you have nothing".

I find that very strange as there has been a lot of input from others angle on things.....:coffee1: 

And what exactly has that got to do with the topic?

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, placeholder said:

First you state it as a fact and now you come up with "that seems to suggest she didn't write much herself". Because she couldn't study it and memorize it? Public speaking doesn't come easily to everyone. Your surmise is just more nonsense. 

"More nonsense" 

OK, I won't reply anymore 

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Just because someone contributes input, that doesn't mean it isn't empty of facts or sound reasoning.

• Like 1

Some troll baiting posts have been removed also replies,

Also removed some laughing emoticons being used as derogatory comments, this is trolling, keep it up an there will be consequences.