Beware, Thai police checkpoint on-the-spot fines jumped to 1000 baht

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Whilst in the past the checks were mostly about wearing a bike helmet, lately, according to our sources, the checks are for legal motorbike licenses, which most foreigners don’t have. The fines are now, routinely, 1000 baht

So why don't the police enforce the law "No licence No rental" to the rental sharks?

I suppose the fines are better ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

To legally rent and ride a motorbike in Thailand you MUST have a Thai motorbike driving license, not a car driving license or a foreign car driving license. If you have a foreign motorbike license AND a current International Driving Permit you will be legal.

So why do the motorcycle rental outlets get away with breaking the law ?

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just use your imagination .....???? , price up ..maybe they give you a choice , 1000 baht cash,

or a fine with receipt and points.....  

regards Worgeordie

Locals only, foreigners get the fine no points.

30 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Police should also go to the sourve of the problem and hold the rental companies accountable and fine them for renting bikes to tourists without the correct license. They should also be accountable for hospital bills if they rent to an unlicensed person. Personally, i am fed up with unlicensed idiots riding bikes on the road. Many have no idea how to ride. The fines should 10,000. Clean it up.

Why, in reality it is a case of buyer beware? A tourist should know full well if he does not have a valid motorcycle licence. He is at fault renting a motorcycle, as much as if he borrowed one from a friend at home and rode around. Difficult for local rental companies to be able to read and decipher all these foreign documents. Sadly the police make it a money collecting exercise and in that, tourists are the best target. 

(First time I got an IDP in the UK, they simply ticked all the boxes for vehicle category, without referring to the original licence!)

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why, in reality it is a case of buyer beware? A tourist should know full well if he does not have a valid motorcycle licence. He is at fault renting a motorcycle, as much as if he borrowed one from a friend at home and rode around. Difficult for local rental companies to be able to read and decipher all these foreign documents. Sadly the police make it a money collecting exercise and in that, tourists are the best target. 

(First time I got an IDP in the UK, they simply ticked all the boxes for vehicle category, without referring to the original licence!)

A gun shop won't sell a firearm  without the buyer having a license ... double standards?

1 minute ago, IamNoone88 said:

A gun shop won't sell a firearm  without the buyer having a license ... double standards?

Not a very good comparison....renting a motorcycle is not buying a gun.  Plus even that it is not as restrictive as you make out .....

1 minute ago, AhFarangJa said:

Please correct me if wrong, but all the years I was visiting before retirement I used an IDP. It is valid for a year, but only three months at any one time. If you are here longer than 3 months you need a Thai licence.

Or is it dependent on the type of visa you have?

The rule is a tourist can only drive in Thailand on a home licence+IDP for up to 3 months. There is no tourist 'Visa' for longer than 3 months stay. (Maybe the elite?). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I fail to understand why anyone would want to hire a motorcycle/scooter with all the above reported issues.

Not to mention riding in a country with one of the worlds worst death and injury rates.

It's great fun when you are young to buzz around in sunny weather all over the place. And more  practical, in places like Phuket, the only alternative for getting about is a rip-off songtaew mafia!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I fail to understand why anyone would want to hire a motorcycle/scooter with all the above reported issues.

Not to mention riding in a country with one of the worlds worst death and injury rates.

Scooter is definitely the best way to get around the beaches.  Of course, if you're an experienced rider or don't have a license to drive, you might want to give it a pass.

Riding scooters here for over 20 years, never an issue.  With exception of a little heightened defensive driving,  no different than the USA.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Riding scooters here for over 20 years, never an issue.  With exception of a little heightened defensive driving,  no different than the USA.

Except you are driving on the other side of the road.... I hope!

18 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Err.

More than 10 million firearms registered. 

How many unregistered?

What do they do with them?

"It is no secret that the level of gun ownership in Thailand is high. According to World Population Review, Thailand has more than 10.3 million firearms and the civilian gun ownership rate is 15.10 per 100 persons, which is the highest in Asean and the second highest in Asia after Pakistan."

1 minute ago, PeachCH said:

What the problem? Give them the 1k, case closed. Don't argument, just pay. Quick and easy. Also with other "institutions" in Thailand, tea money is the way to solve problems. ????????????????????

If you get a written ticket then that ticket is "good" for 7 days for being stopped for the same offense.  Paying in cash gives you nothing ... 

15 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

If you get a written ticket then that ticket is "good" for 7 days for being stopped for the same offense.  Paying in cash gives you nothing ... 

So I can continue to break the law after paying a ticket and can wave it in the air saying "I have a get off fee ticket"....Please, are you for real.....

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So does that work for a tourist with a proper license and IDP from his/her country, I mean you can not deduct points......10 years ago in Phuket I was stopped because my partner on the back did not have a helmet, they made me park the bike, walk to the ATM, get cash, pay them 500 baht for having a passenger with no helmet.  The helmet had been stolen off of the bike at the gym we were at just an hour before, and we were on our way to the local office in Chalong to make a report.....no slack. I was told I should have gone and bought a new helmet before riding to make the report.....

The system is called such because it works.....unfortunately, never in your favour.