Beware, Thai police checkpoint on-the-spot fines jumped to 1000 baht

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I am sure they are not only stopping tourists , they will be taking as many drivers

1000 Baht's as they can , but I think the increase will be related to the points system,

regards Worgeordie

Having lived in Phuket, the Chalong and Rawai Areas, most of the people I observed riding motor bikes were tourists and a few long term expats, very few locals on the coastal road.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

To legally rent and ride a motorbike in Thailand you MUST have a Thai motorbike driving license, not a car driving license or a foreign car driving license. If you have a foreign motorbike license AND a current International Driving Permit you will be legal.

Not if you have a licence that is in English, then it is legal for around 6 months from entering the country. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is very true - if you don't have the proper license and are doing anything illegal like this on vacation your insurance will simply not pay for your medical care due to an accident.  Full stop.  

It's important to be mindful of decisions abroad and be careful and think of the consequences.  

I always have an IDL with me because many countries are insisting on them now.  ITs worth getting it done in your home country, but ours only lasts for one year.  

Question:  Do you need a Thai Drivers license for a motor scooter?  ????  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Factually incorrect,

Thai government minimum insurance (for the motorbike) covers all riders, legal or illegal, for medical expenses up to 40,000bht.

Won't get very far on 40k!

Indeed...  especially if you come off and smash your head without a helmet...  some hospitals charge 18,000 baht for a few stitches !!! 

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Not if you have a licence that is in English, then it is legal for around 6 months from entering the country. 

Is "around" a legal definition of time...........

Can you give a citation for that...............?

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Asking foreigners for an international driving permit is a favourite here in Kanchanaburi too during high season. Got asked for mine a while ago, said I didn't have one and was directed to the roadside table to write up a fine. When I was asked for id I handed over my Thai motorcycle license. Fortunately the cop had a sense of humour and waved me on although my wife later suggested I was being a little provocative.

I got an IDP for a recent visit.  My US license is for a car, but I had the guy also stamp the motorcycle endorsement.  I do have a Thai motorbike license I got in 1978.  It's still valid as I  paid for the lifetime license. 

• Like 1