Beware, Thai police checkpoint on-the-spot fines jumped to 1000 baht

snoop1130

13 hours ago, talahtnut said:

On seeing a check point ahead I like to do a U turn

and proceed smartly in the opposite direction.

The check points are often placed on a bend and the turn around trick is easily spotted by the many police on duty .

They also place a policeman on any left turn before the bend where the check point is .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So why do the motorcycle rental outlets get away with breaking the law ?

They are not that I know of.... the law would have to be that they cannot rent a motorcycle to someone not qualified to ride it.... what you quoted discussed that the renter/rider is the one breaking the law. 

Heck there is even an opportunity of a kickback from the police!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Yes that is correct

Thats not entirely correct when driving without an IDP.

"Additionally, scooter rental agencies can be fined for renting scooters to people without a valid driver’s license". Random police controls in Phuket are frequent, especially around the Patong, Karon, and Kata checkpoints.

Thailand Traffic fines in 2022 (updated)
After paying the fine, you will have a 24-hour grace period, which means that you will not get a second ticket for driving without an IDP within the next 24 hours. Of course, this grace period does not apply to those caught driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.Nov 6, 2565 BE

4 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Because they can! ????

Not really

https://phuket-motorbike-rental.com/the-penalties-for-traffic-offenses-in-thailand/#:~:text=Thailand Traffic fines in 2022 (updated)&text=After paying the fine%2C you,influence of alcohol or drugs.

"Additionally, scooter rental agencies can be fined for renting scooters to people without a valid driver’s license". Random police controls in Phuket are frequent, especially around the Patong, Karon, and Kata checkpoints.

Yet are the rental bike companies held to account, the answer to that is rarely.

If you don’t want to pay fines.  Then don’t do things that cause a fine.  If the police stop you unjustly, then ask for a ticket.  Don’t give them money. 
it seems that some people are upset because they can’t get away with things. And have the mentality they came to Thailand because they can.  

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Relevance? I don't want to burden moderation, but these posts don't help to make this place civilised...

I guess your brilliantly constructed comment "Why are these idiot tourists still coming to this god forsaken place?" is relevant.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I guess your brilliantly constructed comment "Why are these idiot tourists still coming to this god forsaken place?" is relevant.   

It is indeed, in that it is the idiot (cheap) tourists who are getting fleece by the Patong police, and that for decades.

• Haha 1

It's a citation, fine for violating the law.  What they do with the money is irrelevant.  Just like your home country, no different.

Don't want to pay, don't break the law.  No different than your home country.

Only difference is, idiots do here, what they won't do at home, then complain about it when caught.

I kind of wish the fine was 5k baht, impound the motorbike, and put 1 strike against your PP at Imm.  Get 3 strikes, then banned from TH for 5 yrs.   Maybe then the idiots won't need 'go fund my stupidity' when they screw up.

Stay home if you plan on violating the law before you even arrive.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

It is indeed, in that it is the idiot (cheap) tourists who are getting fleece by the Patong police, and that for decades.

In case you have difficulty in comprehension, my comment was based on your "god forsaken" country - a comment you would expect from someone who doesn't live here.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, talahtnut said:

The road i live on is about 4 miles long, and mostly straight with regular police check points, many  bikes have been doing the same as you,  u turning when  they spot the police, now  approx.. 150 yards either side of the road block  the police hide to catch those  u turners, ...& chase those   who continue to run

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Me too. Or I will turn off onto a side street. Or if possible I will blow right through the traffic stop. I have even driven away from cops asking me to pay a fine. Was only chased down once. And when he saw my Thai driver's license (which I never hand to them, and only hold at a distance) and heard me speaking some Thai, he sort of congratulated me and told me to enjoy my day. 

30 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Thailand is bigger than just Phuket.

No feces Sherlock, yet the island is full of more tourists and they are easy pickings for the RTP and of course have more checkpoints... Chiang Mai when I lived there had the same issues.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

No feces Sherlock, yet the island is full of more tourists and they are easy pickings for the RTP and of course have more checkpoints... Chiang Mai when I lived there had the same issues.

Udon Thani also, had daily check points at various locations around the city.  System does work, as daytime, when check points are set up, 90 ish % wear helmets.  Nighttime, just the opposite it seemed at times, way more, don't wear helmets.

It does save lives, along with motivating more to get licensed, and maybe pay attention when driving in the future.  Along with keeping the scooter road worthy.

Yet the tourist still need their 'go fund my stupidity' ... because inexperienced, unlicensed, without helmet and or uninsured.   Again ... something they don't do at home.  

Som na naa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

So I can continue to break the law after paying a ticket and can wave it in the air saying "I have a get off fee ticket"....Please, are you for real.....

Yes, this is true for 7 days.   Ask any police .... 

Edited by HaoleBoy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Not if you have a licence that is in English, then it is legal for around 6 months from entering the country. 

Up to the discretion of the officer.   He or she 'may' accept it, but does NOT 'have' to accept it.

How are they supposed to know what every 'national' issued license from every country is supposed to look like.   I myself wouldn't have a clue.

Emphasis on 'national ' driver's license, that rules out all USA licenses, as they are state issued.  Would also rule out any other 'provincial' licensed from other countries.  Hence the importance of an IDP.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Don’t ever pay “CASH”! Ask for the ticket and go to the nearest police station and pay!

Why do the police look for farang in Phuket and Pattaya because it’s easy money in the pocket!

Lots of Russians here at the moment. Probably a lot of them had to leave home in a hurry, with no chance to plan such things as IDP's or maybe even driving licences. Easy targets.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Factually incorrect,

Thai government minimum insurance (for the motorbike) covers all riders, legal or illegal, for medical expenses up to 40,000bht.

I thought it only covered 3rd party, i.e. not the rider. ?:unsure: 

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I thought it only covered 3rd party, i.e. not the rider. ?:unsure: 

I thought it was 40.000 if you were to blame, 60,000 it you were not. (I previously also thought it covered only 3rf party). Seems odd that a compulsory insurance may vary between suppliers, but I expect there is a government stipulated minimum. 

Edited by jacko45k

Got caught up in a police check yesterday afternoon at about 4.30 pm yesterday on Sukhumvit Road between Ban Amphur and Jomtien. Massive tailback, but didn't get pulled in. First one I've encountered for a while and strange, because they always used to take place before lunch time. Because of the road widening work, Sukhumvit is always chaotic without the fuzz adding to the mayhem. Looked like they were mainly after motorbikes.