Math teacher who slapped student transferred pending investigation - video clip angers parents

webfact

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

Speaking of schools …what is it with all the holidays? Of for Christmas, off for New Year, off this week 1 week for Teachers day…. Probably off for Chines New Year…

Christmas and Chinese New Year aren't days off, usually schools will have an activity for it though. Never heard of 1 week off for teachers day.

There are a lot of interruptions yes but without them it would be 20-weeks straight per term of pure study only.

The issue is having such a long break between academic years, 10 weeks or so, would be better if some of these weeks were fit into the 20-week schedule.

4 hours ago, actonion said:

Winding the clock back to  the early 1960's  with todays  rules and regulations  in  the classroom i could have made a fortune, taking teachers to court for a slap round the ear hole,    its a pity the parents don't do more of it...

They stopped corporal punishment in the US many years ago. Neither teachers, nor parents can hit their children, especially in public. Now the children are hitting teachers and parents. Stealing cars and robbing stores. No one should beat a child so that they are hurt, but a little punishment now can save years of future problems. Not for making math mistakes in class, but for backtalk or rule violations, I'm not against it. Many years ago my daughter got caught cheating on a test in Korea. The principal sent a not home saying that they were going to administer 2 smacks with a paddle in his office. The school nurse would be present. They asked me for permission to punish her for her mistake. I signed, giving my consent. They did the punishment. 8 years ago, she graduated University. I attended graduation. She asked me if I remembered the incident. I said that I did and asked why she brout it up. She said that it didn't hurt that much, but was the most embarrasing thing she ever had. She also said she never cheated again and was happy that I had let them do it, because it helped her to become a better woman. She now has a very good job, a nice husband and two children of her own in the US. I suspect that they get hit now and again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Oh for God's sake, we are talking about a clip round the ear.

Has society really gotten so soft that we are punishing teachers for doing what has been done from the beginning of time?

Have we forgotten the meaning of 'spare the rod and spoil the child'.

I would be more concerned of why a student had his/her phone out during lesson time.

Glad to see there are folks with a similar perspective... I wish I had got off so lightly in school in those 60s! We don't need bullying, nor sadistic teachers of course....just wonder what teachers can do to maintain control in modern times. 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Glad to see there are folks with a similar perspective... I wish I had got off so lightly in school in those 60s! We don't need bullying, nor sadistic teachers of course....just wonder what teachers can do to maintain control in modern times. 

If I have a particularly unruly student, I set them out in the walkway just outside of class where I can still see them. I maintain control of the class AND the little pisher, and eventually a Thai official will happen on by and chew this kid a new a$$hole. NEVER any need to strike a student for ANY reason.

Edited by HappyExpat57
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HappyExpat57 said:

If I have a particularly unruly student, I set them out in the walkway just outside of class where I can still see them. I still maintain control of the class AND the little pisher, and eventually a Thai official will happen on by and chew this kid a new a$$hole. NEVER any need to strike a student for ANY reason.

So you have to enlist the locals to do the job for you? Hopefully the Thai 'official' is not like the teacher in question here. Thanks for taking time to reply.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No ill effects more by luck than judgment.

I don't believe that for a second.

The kid has internalized it and will be traumatized. Too scared of making a fuss. And in a few years he'll kill the girlfriend who wants to finish with him because she thinks he's too uptight.

And everyone'll say, ''But he was such a pleasant bloke.''.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Can of worms? Not condoning her actions, but a lot of Thai teachers are so stressed because of all the extra duties that come with their jobs, that they are non-stop on edge. At my previous school, most Thai teachers had to work 6 to 7 days a week, starting at 7.30 am and finishing at 6pm, without proper lunch break.  I've seen several Thai teachers break down in the classroom.  Needless to day that I quit and teach my own children at home. Lot of beach time now! 

And who makes them be teachers? Nothing else they can do which doesn't cause them stress? They know what the job involves, or should do, so why do they take it? It's a bit like taxi drivers complaining about the traffic.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, actonion said:

Winding the clock back to  the early 1960's  with todays  rules and regulations  in  the classroom i could have made a fortune, taking teachers to court for a slap round the ear hole,    its a pity the parents don't do more of it...

Exactly I agree

22 minutes ago, Brick Top said:
6 hours ago, actonion said:

Exactly I agree

Absolutely! It is the parents who should be wailing on these kids. I looked at it this way - if I punish my son with an occasional kick in the rear, then in the future, if he picks up a brick to throw through a window, he'll think "ouch, my butt hurts. Oh yeah . . ."

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

Well what have or haven't you learned?

You think a plea from antiquity justifies violence upon children?

you obviously haven't learned that a simple clip on the head can cause serious damage to the ear.

I'd say you are a product of the violence administered to you as a child.

Woke much?

• Thanks 1

That was more of a love tap than anything else. He probably talked back to her. Nothing wrong with this type of discipline. The kid wasn't hurt in any way other than maybe being embarrassed in front of the rest of the class. 

I went to a Catholic grade school and the nuns/teachers would crack you across the hands with a metal ruler if you acted up. Needless to say, everyone was well behaved. Sometimes kids need a little discipline. 

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

When I was a kid in school in the UK, we were often slapped about the head and other parts of the anatomy. I won't say it built character, but it did teach you to show the teachers some respect and I don't recall it ever causing any long-term damage. I realise this has very much gone out of fashion now, and probably a good thing too, but it must make life much more difficult when dealing with a certain type of pupil.

I went to schools ruled by disgusting sadists who caned boys on naked buttocks till they were a bloody mess purely for their own sexual pleasure. We were also subjected to painful ear twisting and other tortures by teachers including having heavy wooden board dusters hurled at our heads in class. This made boys fear those teachers but definitely didn't make us respect them. We despised them utterly, realising that they were not fit to be teachers or have anything to do with children. 

As a result of these experiences I cannot condone any teacher hitting a child and, if one dared to hit my son, I would seek him and her out and pay the cops and anyone else whatever it took to destroy their career.

13 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

That was more of a love tap than anything else. He probably talked back to her. Nothing wrong with this type of discipline. The kid wasn't hurt in any way other than maybe being embarrassed in front of the rest of the class. 

I went to a Catholic grade school and the nuns/teachers would crack you across the hands with a metal ruler if you acted up. Needless to say, everyone was well behaved. Sometimes kids need a little discipline. 

A love tap maybe but then what was she doing with cane.?  I bet a few love taps with that cane across her naked buttocks from a gym instructer in front of the class would soon change her mind about corporal punishment. 

Edited by Dogmatix

8 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Speaking of schools …what is it with all the holidays? Of for Christmas, off for New Year, off this week 1 week for Teachers day…. Probably off for Chines New Year…

You have a ptoblem with holidays? Ask government school teachers how long their holidays are (10 days + publicholidays). Private schools are different (about 8-9 weeks + publich holidays...chillin lol)

Why always blame the teacher.... Who of you ever stood in a class with 50 kids who don't want to do anything as they all know they will always pass... It is a real problem with overloaded classes, always pass laws, and the so called "angel"kids....and the workload of the teachers.. As long as the education system is not changed this will happen....If you are a motivated teacher, find another job because as a teacher you will get no rewards for your work nor from schools, students and parents....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Oh for God's sake, we are talking about a clip round the ear.

Has society really gotten so soft that we are punishing teachers for doing what has been done from the beginning of time?

Have we forgotten the meaning of 'spare the rod and spoil the child'.

I would be more concerned of why a student had his/her phone out during lesson time.

2 things that they never say in these reports are what the student did to warrant the smack and yes why there are phones in class.

Teachers do nt just go around slapping students there is usually a reason for it.

There is no means of punishing or getting the student's attention.  

Again all those that say she should be charged and thrown in jail after being quartered.

What is your solution when a child continually wants to be the class idiot.

• Like 1