Happy Chinese New Year! Do You Think it Will Soon Be...Springtime For Xi? And, Why the Ban on Harmless Fireworks in China, These Days?

GammaGlobulin

Dear Friends,

Chinese Lunar New Year has always been one of my favorite times of year, even better than Springtime.

This Chinese Lunar New Year, things are changing fast, and in so many ways.

Why list the changes, when we are all watching events unfold faster than we would have imagined.

Why has China now banned fireworks in most provinces of China? This seems a bit overly Scrooge-ish, to me.

What I don't understand is why China bans fireworks on ChunJie (Spring Holiday), but does not ban the following well-known tune:

I wish ALL my Chinese friends a fine Chinese Lunar New Year, prosperity during the coming harvest, and health and happiness.

Best to my Chinese Friends,

Of which I have many,

Regards,

Gamma

Edited by GammaGlobulin

DRAGON DANCE.....PENINSULA HOTEL....Years ago....HK..

(not my video)

Those were the days...

My old stomping grounds...

Those were the great old days,

Before the Mainland Band came Marching In.

Such memories.....(sob)...

(The above video is more recent, maybe around 11 years ago. I'm Talking: Peninsula Hotel in 1980, or thereabouts. Sob, those glorious days are gone, now.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

As is always the case, during the Chinese Lunar New Year festivities, at least for me, I cannot help but reminisce about past Chinese New Year celebrations.

One of my fondest memories, maybe my favorite, is my recollection of a very exciting 1974 New Year's party with a bunch of communists from Mainland China in Manhattan. It was a mixed group. We had capitalist guys from HK and commies from Beijing. And, the commies seemed more like capitalists, even, than the Hong Kongers.

Those magnificent days are now, so sadly, gone.

I just mean that, in 1974, the commies from China were more interesting.  And, they were far more excited about their first taste of the decadence of NYC, and the delights of becoming a foreign fly.  They were like flies drawn to honey, and, oh so happy to be in Manhattan.

Those days, as I say, are sadly gone.

These days, the commies from the Mainland seem far more blasé when tasting the forbidden fruits of NYC.

Maybe, obviously, these commies of today have had their fill in their home country.

They don't get too excited about New York.

Such a shame, really, because, it was fun while it lasted.

Now, the commies are almost too jaded to even enjoy this holiday.

Such great memories, though....

50 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As is always the case, during the Chinese Lunar New Year festivities, at least for me, I cannot help but reminisce about past Chinese New Year celebrations.

One of my fondest memories, maybe my favorite, is my recollection of a very exciting 1974 New Year's party with a bunch of communists from Mainland China in Manhattan. It was a mixed group. We had capitalist guys from HK and commies from Beijing. And, the commies seemed more like capitalists, even, than the Hong Kongers.

Those magnificent days are now, so sadly, gone.

I just mean that, in 1974, the commies from China were more interesting.  And, they were far more excited about their first taste of the decadence of NYC, and the delights of becoming a foreign fly.  They were like flies drawn to honey, and, oh so happy to be in Manhattan.

Those days, as I say, are sadly gone.

These days, the commies from the Mainland seem far more blasé when tasting the forbidden fruits of NYC.

Maybe, obviously, these commies of today have had their fill in their home country.

They don't get too excited about New York.

Such a shame, really, because, it was fun while it lasted.

Now, the commies are almost too jaded to even enjoy this holiday.

Such great memories, though....

I remember the good old days in NYC. I was there during the 80s. Amazing times. It was still quite funky and had tones of character. I hear the 70s were raw and amazing. Not the same at all now. 

Never partied with a commie, and I don't feel left out. 

around the time of songkran is the real new year.

because it's spring and things start growing in nature. 

spring represents re-birth. 

celebrating new years on jan 1st doesn't make sense as it is the middle of winter. 

winter signifies death.

Edited by save the frogs

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

around the time of songkran is the real new year.

because it's spring and things start growing in nature. 

spring represents re-birth. 

celebrating new years on jan 1st doesn't make sense as it is the middle of winter. 

winter signifies death.

Maybe this will give you more understanding:
Why Does the New Year Start on January 1? | Britannica

Worth a read.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I remember the good old days in NYC. I was there during the 80s. Amazing times. It was still quite funky and had tones of character. I hear the 70s were raw and amazing. Not the same at all now. 

Never partied with a commie, and I don't feel left out. 

The transformation of NYC from the 60s and 70s vibe to what you might see today is a travesty of which only Walt Disney might approve. 

Perhaps it was the great film, Taxi Driver, which fomented the ruinous revolution in NYC that destroyed its very soul. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 4:30 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

DRAGON DANCE.....PENINSULA HOTEL....Years ago....HK..

(not my video)

Those were the days...

My old stomping grounds...

Those were the great old days,

Before the Mainland Band came Marching In.

Such memories.....(sob)...

(The above video is more recent, maybe around 11 years ago. I'm Talking: Peninsula Hotel in 1980, or thereabouts. Sob, those glorious days are gone, now.)

Those were the days, my friend.

You can YouTube as easily as I.

This would not be the first time, we’re I to repeat it, that I told you of my first morning in Hong Kong, finding myself watching the ambulance corp pipe band.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:15 PM, zzaa09 said:

Eurocentricity has little to do with most anything, actually...

Lol Anything but how much of the modern world has come about. Chinese New Year on the other hand has little to with anything, you mean. Guessing a hoot if one is, or hankers to be, gung-ho Chinese, but white noise for everyone else.